1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice/Help on how to make/manage a fourm RPG :)

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by UndeadPixieQueen, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UndeadPixieQueen

UndeadPixieQueen Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Hi, I was just curious if there is anyone out there who can help me. I need to know of some websites free or not that can help me with my dream of making a forum RPG with dress-able avatars.

I'd like to know how to do the following:

1. Website Design
    2. Coding

and so on and so forth any tutorial websites would be appreciated :)

EDIT: Okay, let me re-phrase this. I want to make a browser based RPG using dress-able avatars kind of like gaia does with its little shops and avatars and such. I'd like to know of any and all Dress-able avatar programs that can be installed into a website/forum. I'd like to know how to make their clothes and UI's and maps and everything imaginable for a website of that caliber.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  2. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Here is a website for HTML and CSS Tutorials, which are the fundamentals you MUST know to make a website: HTML and CSS Tutorials, References, and Articles | HTML Dog

This is another website with tutorials on HTML and CSS as well, as well as all the other web technologies you'll need to know:
    http://www.w3schools.com/
    You should learn Javascript, PHP, XML, and then maybe XHTML and/or HTML5.
    HTML, CSS, and XML are probably the easiest to learn as they don't involve actual programming, only design of what the website LOOKS LIKE, while XML is a simple-to-follow format for storing data (like, maybe account details, forum posts?). Javascript and PHP are the scripting languages that allow you to do the animations and stuff, and maybe program a game.

If you're looking for a static page game like our Ogre Wars, go for PHP. However, if you're looking for something more real-time and dynamic, like a Flash game, I would look to learning Actionscript.

I know I set a hefty load here, but it's really not as hard as it looks. Break it down into steps, and some of the languages I talked about aren't entirely necessary. First step though, is to learn HTML and CSS.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011
  3. UndeadPixieQueen

UndeadPixieQueen Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Thank you for your response! This is going to be one heck of a ride :3

4. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ....You could look at the Living Avatars plugin for VBulliten if you just want something easy. :)
    It allows a currency to buy different items to dress your avatar in :)

The plugin is free but VBulliten licenses get a bit pricey I believe..

5. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    how did your program go? did you use living avatars?

6. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Learning to code yourself and performing most of the duties needed yourself is always the best way to handle making games. Once you get experience on your own you can function better as a team member on a bigger project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.