1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

New Review Directory Coming

Discussion in 'Lists and Directory' started by ogreman, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    The Review Directory should be getting a considerable facelift soon:). It is a very old area of the GameOgre that needs to be refreshed with a new look and features. One of the features we want the most is to integrate it with the forum.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for improving it?

2. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    screenshots of the games by the review game if it is already there then Nothing :)

3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Can't wait for the update.

Almost every game in the review directory has a screen shot with it.

4. JaredOzzy

Credit:
    No but like a album :) with a limit

5. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I would say videos, but we already have those. More screenshots would be awesome.

6. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    It should look like the rest of Gameogre, it's got a really dated look. I think more MMOs should get a little discussion area/forum like the top 10 MMOs. I think that all the MMOs with lairs should have links in their review directory page back to the lair, and any MMOs with little discussion areas should have a link to that (it'll be really cool if you could have tabs above the title, on top of the grey line, which say "Insert game name here forum", "lair" etc)

It'll be nice if the review box had an auto-save on it that copies it to the clipboard (or mac/linux equivalent), or would keep the review even if you go to another page, then back to the review page. Could require some heavy coding and testing though.

I think that you should restrict the amount of reviews on each page to 10-20, and have pages of reviews instead, then buttons at the bottom, like page 1, 2, 3... last etc. The Runescape page for example, has 1296 reviews on it!!!

That's all I can think of for now. And that screenshot is good too, but people will have to pitch in for their game though, ogreman can't go around taking an extra 5 screenshots for a thousand MMOs.

7. JaredOzzy

Credit:
    yea but there are many screenshots on the web

8. Aaddron

Credit:
    You can't just take any image on the web, some have copyrights and stuff, even if you could it would be a really big job to get 5 or so screen shots for over 1000 games, it also would be really hard to regulate what's copyrighted and whats not if everyone was able to add them.

That said the option to add them might be nice but it would defiantly have to be community driven.

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Great ideas:). The Lair idea is especially good.

Yes, it does look rather dated. However, it will look different in the future:). Do you think a black background would work better?

10. Aaddron

Credit:
    I like all the reviews on one page, makes it easier to search them. ctrl + F then type in what you want and you can search all the reviews by what rating they give a game, certain words, usernames etc... could still do this with pages but then it's only one page at a time.

11. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    We could do what youtube does. Have pages of reviews, but a button that shows all the reviews on a single page.

And, personally, I think the current background on the review directory is fine. White means the text is easier to read.

12. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Well, the main site has been redesigned with a black background:). It should be easy to read with white fonts.

We are waiting on changes to the Review Directory before putting it up. Although the forum will probably stay the same, we are thinking about making the Review Directory look more like the new design. We will make sure it is easy to read before make a final decision on it. If needed, we could make the middle of the Review Direcory white and the rest in the black. We will just have to see because a lot needs to be done before everything is ready.

13. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I don't mind if you have a black blackground round the middle, but the middle should be white with black text, because personally, I think that is easier to read than white text on a black background. And believe me when I say I've seen that sort of thing many times, and each time I would have preferred a white background with black text, or even, ANY light coloured background with black text.

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yea, we have used a white background for the middle for years. I will see if it can be done on the new design because readability is important too.

15. Aaddron

Credit:
    Not saying a white background shouldn't be used but I don't want to say a black background wont work either without seeing it first, white text on black background can go either way, I've seen it completely unreadable to even better than black text on a white background just depends on how it's done and what all is on the page.

GameSpot is an example of a good one:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6247616.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=bg_toggler;bg_dark

Nothing wrong with there black text on white background version either but find it a little too bright. An option would be nice if possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  16. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    It will probably need to be one or the other. However, forum regulars will be able to see it before it goes live:). Of course, if there is a readibility issue it needs to be taken care of before it goes live. I think white or black in the middle will look better than it is now:).

A few other game sites like GameSpot have black backgrounds and white middles. IGN is a good example.

17. Aaddron

Credit:
    I know I'm just saying it's possible to look good and be readable either way just depends on how it's done. As long as it's not really bright I wont care what color it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  18. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Very true. We definitely want it to look good as well:).

19. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    What I'm saying is that no matter what happens, we shouldn't use white text, with a black background.

It won't matter if we have a PINK BACKGROUND with PURPLE POLKA DOTS around a white box with the black text in, all that matters is that there will be black text, and a white background. It's the most easily readable way of showing text.

However, I do think that the colour scheme of Gamespot is really good, but it's a grey background with white text, so the text is still fairly readable, and the main review text is black on a white background.

20. Aaddron

Credit:
    I don't think "black" means a pitch black color, I'm thinking when Ogreman says black it's more a lighter black. High resolution LCD monitors and screens like it make white really bright, if there isn't enough contrast(think that's the right word for it) visibility will not only suck it will make your eyes hurt too.

I'm not disagreeing that black text on a white black ground will be easier to read, because it might be idk I haven't seen it. How can you be so sure without seeing it first?

No it just depends on what you have set, since you never set it it uses white by default... it was made default just last year to try something different after using white on black for 6 years or so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.