1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

New Review Directory Coming

Discussion in 'Lists and Directory' started by ogreman, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Putting the design aside for now, are there any more feature ideas for the Review Directory?

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Ok, here are some ideas:
    • A way to delete your own reviews
    • Review profile... either something that's through the forum or separate in the review directory that list all your reviews
    • Ability to edit your reviews
    • Don't know if it will be used but a way to do video reviews in the review directory... can be done in the video directory but it would be nice if it where in the review directory
    • Comment on reviews
    • Free MMORPG section... the sections could replace the lists... the lists aren't quite as updated and the review directory sections stay updated so could accomplish two things at once
    • Switch Directory Index and Home or change the word Home to something else... kinda confusing to people that don't use it
    • More time for the session so you don't time out writing a review
    • Make adding games more streamlined... not sure how
    • Give showdown, contest, type stuff a section like Vote for RuneScape and Perfect World would go in this section to make it easier to find.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
  3. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    If you give a way for people to delete their own reviews, then you should make it so that when they delete a review, their number of reviews goes down by one as well.

Also, I don't know about any log in/out issue (when I log in, it doesn't crash my computer etc, and I never log out, I just exit Gameogre), but I think when you log in, it should stay on the page that you were on. I hate logging in, then having to press back each time. It'll be even better if you could make it log you in without refreshing the page, because:
    A. It'll look cool.
    B. It'll mean you can write a review, remember to log in, forget to copy the review, and still not lose the review when the page is refreshed.

If you have COMMENTS on reviews, then I think there should be an option to hide the comments, games like WoW with huge numbers of reviews could get horrendous...

When you say fixing the search, do you mean when you search for a game, then you click on that game to review it, the left bar abruptly disappears? Well, that always happens to me and it'll be nice for it to be fixed.

If you have video reviews, I think it should go on a different page to the text reviews, but it'll be best if you have 'tabs' above the title of the game, with one saying 'Text Reviews' and another saying 'Video Reviews'. Again, my tabs idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by making the adding games more streamlined...

Finally, most importantly, I think you should make Gameogre more consistent. The homepage uses a completely different style to the review directory. I think you should change the review directory style to the homepage's style. You decide about colours, though I think you could do several colour schemes, and have a little menu at the side where you can choose between them.

4. Aaddron

Credit:
    Ogreman asked for ideas so I gave him some, they are nothing more than ideas which is why I didn't elaborate how any of them could work.

As for the two issues I'm not gonna elaborate because it shouldn't be discussed on the forums, shouldn't of mentioned it in the first place.

5. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Yeah, and I gave my opinion on how to improve said ideas, not trying to debunk your ideas or anything Aaddron.

6. Aaddron

Credit:
    I know, it's tough to explain. Basically it's been a rough week due to over thinking it I misunderstood the demeanor of the post.

My bad, didn't mean to offend you in my post either.

7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Everybody is ok, we are just giving different ideas:). The one thing that I like the best about this forum is that everybody seems to get along well.

Changing the Review Directory will be a very important step for GameOgre. All the past reviews will stay, but it needs more features and it needs to be integrated with this forum. I think we can do even better contests once the forum and Review Directory are integrated:).

8. Aaddron

Credit:
    Author: Username <- make it clickable to there forum profile

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yes, we want to somehow combines a member's posts and game reviews under one profile. I think that would really help:).

10. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I'm not familiar with HTML code, but Quinn seems to be fairly good with it, so he could help you two figure things out.

We should list changes worth doing in order of best to worst, then go down that list, implementing each in turn.

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Sounds like a good way to do it:). It needs to be organized so the coder knows exactly what to add or not add.

12. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Take your time though, we've got all the time in the world to upgrade the Review Directory. Obviously, the quicker the better, but it's not compulsory that anybody works till midnight for this.

13. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    How can you fix it to make the Showdowns even better? I like it, but forum voting needs to be more than a tiebreaker.

14. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I think in the shooter showdown, they had it so that forum voting was 50%, and review directory voting was 50%, of the final scores.

15. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Half and half in the Shooter Showdown was what we wanted, but the method we used gave more weight to the forum voting. That is why we did not use it for MMORPG Showdown 4.

16. Joker

Credit:
    I think using the Review Directory is cool, but I would rather some other MMORPG than Runescape win:p.

17. Joker

Credit:
    When are the changes coming?

18. danman187

danman187 BamBam

Credit:
    sounds pretty cool

19. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    The Review Directory is now being worked on:). Stay tuned for its progress.

20. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Awesome! Can't wait to see the new changes! The review directory is REALLY outdated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.