1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch Lite - $199 - September Release

Discussion in 'Video Games and Consoles' started by Aaddron, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:

A new addition to the Nintendo Switch family will arrive on 9/20. Nintendo Switch Lite is compact and lightweight, making it easy to take on the go! This dedicated handheld device lets you play all Nintendo Switch games that support handheld mode. It will be available in three different colors.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/lite/

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    The long rumored "Switch Mini" has finally been announced as Nintendo Switch Lite. We knew it was coming but who would've guessed today of all days being the one they announce it. Just Nintendo things I guess. Key highlights:

$199.99, 32GB Storage, 3 colors (+pokemon edition launching later), Sept. 20th, 2019 release date.

• Handheld only, will not support TV play
    • No detachable joycons
    • No kickstand
    • No HD Rumble (I'd assume no rumble at all)
    • No auto brightness
    • 5.5 inch screen vs 6.2 inch screen on Switch
    • It's about a joycon smaller
    • It weights about what the switch does without joycons attached
    • Has a real d-pad
    • About 20% better battery life, Nintendo estimates 4 hours of Breath of the Wild vs 3 hours on Switch
    • Will support gyro controls
    • Connecting joycons to it for games that require joycon motion is supported (but probably awkward)

Apparently an update will be coming in September to make it easier to get your saves (rip splatoon, pokemon, animal crossing) and play your digital games on multiple consoles.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  3. Ylber

Ylber Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I'm not too sure if the sales for nintendo switch mini will be great. The big downside for me is that it can only be used in handheld mode and not on the TV.

4. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    When it comes to Switch vs. Switch Lite, I think the Switch is the better option, not for the price, but for everything else like the kickstand, the Joy Cons, the better screen resolution, the convenience of playing it through various modes (handheld, tabletop, TV), etc.

And drawing from my experience playing through the Nintendo New 3DS, the things that have always bothered me is lugging around weight, but also having my hands tied to one position for several hours. That's sort of what the Switch Lite would feel like, except you'll always have to hold the device since it'll be hard to play it flat on a table since you can't adjust the angle of the screen like you can with a 3DS. I've played through the regular Switch several times and it feels a lot better letting your hands roam around while you play in tabletop mode or TV mode, and it's nice being able to switch up how you play (if you get tired of holding two controllers, you can just slide the controllers in to the Joy-Con grip accessory).

But I don't think the Switch Lite is entirely bad. I think it's better suited for children, because it's cheaper to buy and because the Switch Lite is one whole unit, so parents don't have to worry about their kids losing a controller or some other part. And I guess it has a better battery life, but it's not too far off from the latest Switch (the 2019 revision).