1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Official Hearthstone Thread

Discussion in 'Trading Card Games' started by ogreman, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
    Dimer and HellReaper like this.
  2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I'm enjoying it, it's simplicity makes it but might ultimately be what breaks it. It's a very fast and fluid card game. It's also quite polished overall for a card game that's basically brand new. It's about 300mb download right now and gonna be F2P when it's released so I'd definitely recommend anyone remotely interested in card games check it out.

3. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Isn't the entire client somewhere over 1.5 GB? :)

The game is really great and what is most important, it is not pay to win like most of the card games today. Yes you can buy packs but you get completely random cards. Crafting system is also really nice but I haven't been using it that much.

What I liked the most about the game is the Arena System.

HellReaper likes this.
  4. Aaddron

Credit:
    Ah shoot, I could of swore it was 300mb, ok it's 1.68gb download and 2.93gb on disk. Will update the article.

I disagree, it's exactly like all card games today 'pay-to-win' in my opinion. You can't buy a specific card like a physical card game but it still based on the pack system, buy pack -> get cards. It's random so you could get a really good card in your first pack or it could take 100 but it means the more packs you can buy, the greater the chance you have to get better cards.

The crafting system though is more pay-to-win than the packs themselves. Basically you can melt down cards and it gives you a form of currency you can then use to buy specific cards. The person who has the money to buy a ton of packs can melt them all down to get the cards he wants.

Is it an issue though? I don't think so, it's part of card games... it's always been part of card games. Thankfully it's quite expensive to buy your way to the top cards, which means there aren't a ton of people doing it and having the cards doesn't mean you know how to use the cards so that diminishes the threat further.

Just jumping in to play is perfectly fine, you can enjoy it without much issue because the MM tries to balance skill and card rarity... if you try to play competitively (ranked) though you will hit a wall... when depends on your skill but it will happen, assuming you don't get super lucky and get top cards in free packs.

Technically you could grind free packs to top cards but at the current gold rate and without a lot of luck I can't say it's enough to eliminate "pay-to-win"... the chance is just too small at this point.

5. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ugh, isn't that extra big for a card game?

6. Aaddron

Credit:
    Not anymore in my opinion, there are a few card games that are quite small, including browser based games but at the same time a lot of the upcoming card games are including more and more advanced effects which is increasing the size of the client.

As someone who just recently downloaded 2 MMOs near 20 something GB a piece and had to sit through SWTOR ridiculous 30gb download a couple weeks ago, I don't think it will be much of a factor. Gamers shouldn't mind it, non-gamers it's still around the size of a HD movie so shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

For what it's worth Hearthstone is 1.68gb well spent, textures and graphics are very crisp ... the animations are nice as well.

7. Mordekaiser

Mordekaiser Dealer of Death Ogre Veteran

Credit:
  8. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    It will be free when they release it, not it's in closed beta

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Well our biggest game is no where near that at a whopping 80 MBs:).

10. Aaddron

Credit:
    It still amazes me 80MBs use to be considered big, games coming on multiple floppy disks... crazy, now we are up to sometimes 30gb+ games. 1TB HDD.. 2TB HDD O_O it's insane.

11. Zeniel

Zeniel DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Hearthstone :eek:

So, the game has been out for awhile now! What does everyone think of it :eek:?

12. Aaddron

Credit:
    It's a nice polished but simple card game. It's got a lot of room for growth and a nice base to start with. I like it but haven't had the time to play it much lately.

13. Zeniel

Credit:
    Its fun once you get the hang of it. Especially playing with friends when you have a close game.

14. Iwannaplaythegame

Iwannaplaythegame Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    Nice game I'll try these while waiting for the Heroes of the Storm

15. Thedarkboy

Thedarkboy Anime Geek Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I haven't been playing it very much actually. I've never really been a fanatic of card games. Although a lot of my friends enjoy playing it though :p

16. Zeniel

Credit:
    I was never into card games. I mean from like ages 7-10i played yugioh and stuff but then I stopped. Hearthstone is the first card game ive ever played on the PC, and for my first, it is not too bad.

17. Aaddron

Credit:
    It needs more depth in my opinion but it can't get too complicated either, it's a very fine line.

18. Zare

Zare BamBam

Credit:
    I played only two games and i got bored with it. I dont know why but game atleast for me is boring dont get me wrong i like more yu gi oh old game than Hearthstone.I thing game is overrated.

19. AlexSRB

AlexSRB MMORPG Addict Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Same here,i played it and dont like it at all....

20. Hihlo

Hihlo Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I get the feeling of p2w but its more like grind to win i mean its so easy when u have druid legendary or something like that not much skill oriented but still u need to think ahead
    8/10