1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Open Debate: Xbox 360 vs. PS3

Discussion in 'MMO Debates' started by ogreman, Jan 8, 2010.

Which is the better console?

1. Xbox 360

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. PlayStation 3

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    If you want to debate this topic, pick your side and make your argument. A poll will be started when the two sides are filled.

2. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    This isn't really much of a competition, the xBox 360 is by far the superior console.

This is mainly because of two reasons, xBox live and single platform games.

PS3 simply can't compare to a service as thoroughly well done as xbox live, which has more features, better service and arguably a better community.

And of course xbox has Halo. Where would the world be without Halo? Planes would fall from the sky's, and the very heaven would tear apart in the gods rage to find a game as thoroughly enjoyable as Halo, and what does PS3 have? Killzone 2? God of War? Great games to be sure, but not nearly as good as Halo 3.

(Yes it's rushed, but I just got my first job and I don't want to be late in my first week :D.)

3. Sansbar

Sansbar Club Swinger

Credit:
    :eek: What about the ring of death? Don't half of all Xboxes burn up? My friend has had 3 :(

4. ScareCrow

Credit:
    I personally have never had any problems with it, and only one of my friends has had the red ring of death, and his could be attributed to the glass of coke he spilt on the circuitry xD.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  5. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Ring of death you can easily fix it yourself most of the time its nothing bad but before you give your xbox in first check on google or w/e what the problem is ive had the ring 4 times fixed it myself always sometimes its nothing like E98 that is your hardrive out alittle well all i had 2 do was take out the hardrive and put it back in so its pretty easy to fix !

6. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    The PS3 is better because it is more value for money. Why? You ask? Because of its Blu-ray player, which if bought separately, would cost over £100. Another thing is that its online is free, and don't go saying that "Oh! Xbox Live is a far superior service!", because it doesn't matter. As long as it gives multiplayer gaming, any extra differences don't really matter does it! Put all this together, and I find that the PS3 costs £250, which when minusing £100 gives £150, and then the Xbox 360 Arcade (cheapest one), which costs £100-£150 (I think...), increases by about £30 every year, until after just 2 years, it is at £160-£210 (depending on what you got it for). And that's just the cheapest Arcade.

PS3 has more hard-drive space.

PS3 has Uncharted 2 (incredible story, very good exploration/puzzle/TPS), Killzone 2 (very good FPS, but multiplayer not as good as CoD, but there isn't anything better than CoD for multiplayer :D), Demon's Souls (Epic game, an extremely difficult RPG), Littlebigplanet (awesome platform game, multiplayer aspect is very cool), Metal Gear Solid 4 (the mother of all Stealth games), God of War 2 (Very good action game, though Bayonetta is probably better).

And what does Xbox have? Halo 3 (Great FPS in both single player and multiplayer for many people, but personally, it looks rubbish to me, CoD is way better, and even Killzone 2 is better than this) and Gears of War 2 (Nice TPS, but I'd rather have Uncharted 2 anyday.) Sorry, don't know any others worthy of mention.

PS3 is also the more powerful machine, which means a few games on PS3 have more stunning graphics than any game on the Xbox 360 could every have.

Oh yeah, Scarecrow, Cod4 and Modern Warfare 2 are both better than Halo 3 in multiplayer. Uncharted 2 is better than Halo 3 in single player.

7. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
  8. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I think they are pretty equal, no question the ps3 has the best value but I don't think that should make you buy it... really I think it's all about the games, which ever console has more exclusives you like is the console you should get... if you really like 3rd party games I'd go 360 because 9 out of 10 times the game will look and run slightly better... sometimes more than slightly but most the time it's not noticeable but you never know.

The ps3 being "more advanced" helps and hurts it, 3rd party doesn't use the full power because lack of time and money... first party tries but even they have troubles sometimes. I think the worst part is the Cell processor isn't being developed anymore meaning the next ps will probably not have one meaning all these studios learned how to develop on it and will probably have to learn something completely different next time... not to mention backward compatibility might have issues.

I have a 360 but like them both about the same, paying for live sucks but I don't play online much anyways so it's not a big deal... biggest thing I hate is the lack of wireless without buying a stupid added on... not that bad for me because I got a router close to the 360, not all bad though because wired connections tend to be better than wireless ones.

Also with a sub service coming to the ps3 eventually paying for live might not be that bad, online play should still be free on the ps3 but who knows what features the sub will, I'm sure ps3 owners are hoping it's nothing that makes it almost necessary to pay.

9. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Well, the most important thing about live gold and PSN is that they enable you to play online multiplayer. And that will always be free on PS3.

Also, do you have any proof of a multi-platform game on 360 running and looking better than on the PS3?

10. ScareCrow

Credit:
    "Oh! Xbox Live is a far superior service!", because it doesn't matter. As long as it gives multiplayer gaming, any extra differences don't really matter does it!"

I beg to differ, the service DOES matter, it matters when you can't access your account, it matters when you are having trouble connecting, and it matters when you want to do things other than multi player gaming.

"And what does Xbox have? Halo 3 (Great FPS in both single player and multiplayer for many people, but personally, it looks rubbish to me, CoD is way better, and even Killzone 2 is better than this) and Gears of War 2 (Nice TPS, but I'd rather have Uncharted 2 anyday.) Sorry, don't know any others worthy of mention."

Personally? A little of topic here, but why don't you like Halo?

Blu-Ray player, the usefulness of which is debatable to most people, and which pushes the price of the PS3 up even though it very well might not be needed.

"Also, do you have any proof of a multi-platform game on 360 running and looking better than on the PS3?"

Lens of Truth Blog Archive Head2Head: Ghostbusters : Just telling the truth

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  11. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Cos I don't like laser rifles, and futuristicy weapons, but primarily because there's quite a few games out there that are better than it.

Oh right, I thought you meant like Xbox Live has more stuff to download etc. But anyway, all my friends with PS3s can connect easily, don't see what the problem is.

12. Aaddron

Credit:
    GameSpot does a comparison pretty much every year and the 360 looks a little bit better most the time, usually not enough to be noticeable unless your looking and hardly ever enough to be a problem.

Lastest one:

Xbox 360 vs. PS3 Graphics Comparison Round 5 - Features at GameSpot

True but if the PSN sub does something like say paying people get to play on better servers or get priority in matches it could become an issue even if it's still free to play online. Not saying it's gonna be but there are a lot of things they could do to make that "free online" not worth it to get people to pay... again not saying they will just saying it's possible.

Blue Ray is defiantly worth it imo, I wish the 360 had it, hate the price but it's vary good for gaming. The 360 would look better if it had it, right now devs have to compress the graphics a lot to get them to fit making it harder on the console to run them, Uncharted 2 would not be possible without Blue Ray because the ps3 wouldn't be able handle the un-compressing and keep a good frame rate not to mention it would be really hard to compress the graphics down to a size that would fit on a DVD.

Next gen will probably feature Blue Ray in all consoles... unless one of them takes a gamble and goes download only.

13. JaredOzzy

Credit:
    The PS1 PSP and PS2 have all sold more than the ps3 and the xbox has Much More sold than the ps3

14. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Sales don't matter. Xbox 360 got in a year ahead of PS3, so have got the extra sales that way.

Also, the Wii sucks, but it's got huge sales.

I remember that you have to turn on some setting in the PS3 to make Assassin's Creed look nice, do they have that on? And read the comments, there's a few people saying that PS3 is BETTER from those screenshots. Personally, I think that the PS3 one is just brighter than the Xbox 360.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
  15. JaredOzzy

Credit:
    The xbox wouldve been better But it came out a year before it was supose 2 come out :) but also ive always loved the PS brands but the blueray thing is just stupid....

16. Aaddron

Credit:
    Can't just compare it to Assassins Creed... there are more games in the comparison and previous ones too. In Assassins Creed if you look carefully it's missing a couple shadows and a couple of the screens the textures are a little blurry... I also said the 360 looks better on about 9/10 3rd party games not EVERY game, the ps3 does look better on some 3rd party games but most of the time the 360 has the slight edge. Really it's not worth even debating the difference is vary slight most of the time

17. JaredOzzy

Credit:
  18. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I agree with graphics not mattering too much between the Xbox 360 and PS3, as long as both offer HD games, as there are only a few games that take advantage of the PS3's 1080p stuff.

Blu-ray is the future man!

19. Rebirth

Rebirth Professional Kimchi Eater The Pit

Credit:
  20. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    YEAH! PS3 ALL THE WAY!!!

Seriously though, there's quite a few people with 360s here.