1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by hack10, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Sorry psufootball, I'll have to do this tomorrow. 11 pm over here, and I'm going to bed.

Just to start, Limewire has a mac version, and Burn is a good CD/DVD burner that will replace Nero (I'd replace Nero on Windows anyway with freeware).

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  2. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Right, I can start on this now.

As I said, Limewire has a Mac version, and Burn is an alternative to CDBurnerXP or Nero (or, Mac has a burner built in it).
    Adobe Acrobat seems to be a PDF creator, writer, and editor, but apparently, Snow Leopard has editing functions for PDF built into it.
    PowerISO seems to be an iso tool, similar to MagicISO. For mounting ISOs, Mac can do that with Finder (the equivalent of Windows Explorer I think).
    For SmartFTP, there's Filezilla, which you would use on Windows as well if you wanted a free FTP client (personally, I never use FTP).
    The alternative to Photoshop is... Photoshop. Really, if you have the money, GET PHOTOSHOP! Even Gimp isn't as good as Photoshop. Oh, and they have a Mac version, yes.
    Goldwave's alternative is Audacity in the video, and Audacity has a Mac version.
    For video editing, there's Final Cut, which is probably professional standard, but I think you can get iMovie for a lot less with your Mac if you want video editing but not that high level (actually, my sister is obsessed with iMovie, and wants a Mac just because it has iMovie :D).
    I'm not sure what an IRC client is, but there's iChat for instant messaging, and Colloquy for a freeware IRC client for Mac.
    PowerDVD is a media player, and probably something that you wouldn't really buy. But for Mac, there's iTunes, Real Player, even WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER up for choice. There's also the Mac version of VLC Player.
    For a music player, there's iTunes (obviously), but if you somehow don't like it (even though Apple designed it for the Mac), there's Songbird, Vox, Pico Player, and Cog.
    I would recommend actually buying Office for Mac, because it's the best (both on Windows and Mac), but you can get OpenOffice for Mac if you really don't want to spend money here.
    For a file archiver, Mac has built in tools just like Windows, but I think Mac's built in tool is enough; it has this tool called Stuffit Expander which opens and archives a ton of file formats, including zip, 7zip, arc, rar etc. Or you could do it through the command line ;)
    iChat for Trillian. Nuff said.
    And Norton is an antivirus. Mac has very few viruses made for it so you COULD go naked, and rely on your instincts (using WOT with Firefox or whatever), which I would recommend if you're fairly tech-savvy and can tell when something is a virus. If you're not though, you can get ClamXAV, which is ClamWin but for Windows.

Which leads me onto my next point. Mac has better security overall, BECAUSE THERE ARE LESS VIRUSES FOR IT!!!!!!!!! The average Mac user WOULD NOT get infected as much as the average PC user. This is for one reason, and one reason only. Because there are less viruses for Mac. It doesn't matter if Mac becomes more popular, or whatever. FOR NOW, Mac has better security, because of the fact that there are less viruses for it.

And actually, the looks thing probably is personal preference. I think Macs look cool anyway :D.

Since when did I say I ran Norton? I'd only run Norton if I could buy the latest version of it. FYI, I run Panda Cloud Antivirus. But that doesn't matter. The fact is that for good security, you're gonna have to run an antivirus with Malwarebytes plus SuperAntispyware. It's the minimum you have to run for Windows. Trust me on this. Mac has less malware created for it, because it isn't as popular a system, SO... it doesn't need this amount of tools for it.

The point I said several times about OUT OF THE BOX, is the fact that Mac is pretty much the way you want it, OUT OF THE BOX. While with a PC, I'd have to uninstall a load of bloatware and software I don't want, then install loads of software I do want (which includes things like CCleaner, Filehippo Update Checker, and antimalware that you wouldn't need on a Mac), and then get any new drivers that are outdated. Out of the box, Mac only needs installing of software you want (which won't be as much as PC. Generally, I replace almost everything on a new PC, because things like Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer, built-in defragmenter, built-in disk cleaner, any antivirus that came with it, are ALL rubbish), and really that's it. Macs don't come with bloatware, and Macs don't come with a sidebar that I WANT to disable, and Macs come with everything updated and READY. OUT OF THE BOX, Macs are better.

I am still right about the fact that PCs need more maintenance and cleaning up than Mac. PCs need cleaning of temporary files, defragmentation, and System Restore takes up too much space. Even when uninstalling old programs, they often leave traces behind, so either I have to find these traces manually, or I trust Revo Uninstaller to find these traces for me. Also, most programs have to be updated manually (such as Flash Player, my Foxit Reader, CCleaner and Recuva, Java, Shockwave Player, Silverlight, 7zip, KMPlayer) to keep them tight on security and keep them good.

And the sidebar on Vista and 7 are crap btw. I disabled them. If I could be bothered, I'd get Rainmeter, RocketDock and Samurize and customize the crap out of my system. When SharpE gets better, I might get it as well. I already have Rainlendar to make my desktop look slightly better. And what is Dell Dock? Generally, I don't trust manufacturer software. Mac, again, OUT OF THE BOX, has a far nicer interface than PCs generally do, out of the box. To get a better one, you'd have to replace the shell, and get the customizing tools I mentioned above. And I've tried to go down the Rainmeter route, but got bored and stopped. I also tried replacing the shell, but problems arose and I gave up on that route as well. I don't use icons on the desktop btw, I use Launchy. I can get rid of having a ton of icons on the desktop crowding space, but still be able to launch everything I want (obviously, THIS didn't come with my PC). To get an interface as nice as or nicer than Mac on PC, you'd have to do a LOT (for example, JUST for the dock, you'd have to get RocketDock, then a load of add-ons for it which emulate Mac's dock, then a way of hiding the windows taskbar permanently).

If you take care of your PC, it won't crash. If you're like me and like tinkering with things, it might crash. I don't know why, but the average crash rates for Macs is lower than for PCs. You can't just ignore that fact.

My point about running Mac OS X and Windows side by side isn't that Apple are jerks. It is that on a Mac, you can get Windows AND OS X, LEGALLY, RUNNING SIDE BY SIDE. You can't do that on a PC, unless you install OS X illegally (hackintosh), and STILL you won't be able to run it natively. Surely, Windows + OS X > Just Windows?

OS X is a system that doesn't require the right-click. I believe that CMD-Click is their alternative. It's just something to get used to, and not a disadvantage at all. I use keyboard shortcuts all the time anyway. And I think that for everything except for games, Apple's new multitouch mouse is superior to any other mouse.
    And I've gotta admit, that trackpad is just so much better than any other trackpad I've ever used. I can actually LIVE with that kind of trackpad rather than immediately go out and find a mouse to replace it :p

And my last point was just saying that it is easier to use, from the box. It would take longer to learn Windows than to learn Mac. Also, Apple doesn't change their OSs as humongously as Microsoft do. There are a lot of differences between XP and Vista, and it took me a while to get used to it. However, someone going from Tiger to Leopard to Snow Leopard would be able to adapt very quickly. They make the system better without changing every single name, moving the settings to new places, and changing all the buttons around (it may be good, but it takes longer to learn).

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  3. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I don't have a Mac for the simple reason that windows has always had far more programs and games.

4. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Finally, someone responds to one of my extra-long posts with another extra-long post. Makes me feel like I actually have a purpose to type these. However, I can see that you're not going to budge on this and neither am I. Plus I'll point out that I've been playing devil's advocate half this time. I actually don't have that much of a problem with Macs, and you've made an intelligent argument. They have improved drastically over the years and if I didn't have to spend a minimum of $1000 I might even buy one for personal use. So here's my final response, thanks to Webber for typing it for me-

5. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I don't have a Mac, because PCs are cheaper, same as you. Our family is the kind of budget family that only buys rubbish ones for £200 :D. And I can argue both sides of the argument, I know the reasons for both, just that I don't like either one getting laid down and completely ignored by most people for whatever reason.

6. Fireicee

Fireicee MMORPGer

Credit:
    Windows = 3D Pinball Space Cadet = Better.

7. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Space Cadet only came with XP, you be behind now mon.

8. hack10

hack10 Ogre Star Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Go window 7, lol. window 7, I love the graphic.

9. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    drako and football are friggin crazy...can this just turn into a poll so it can be decided w/o words =p

10. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Meh, graphics are disappointing in 7, they're the same as Vista, makes you want to upgrade less.

How are we crazy?

And turning it into a poll would be stupid. People who have no clue what they're talking about would vote Windows because that's the only thing they've ever used, and people would vote Mac because that's the only thing they've ever used. You can really only have a debate when all of the 'participants' have experienced both sides of the argument. Personally I've used both Windows and Mac for years now and have certain reasons as to why I think Windows is the more powerful OS. Most people really don't have any idea what they're talking about, they just vote what they're used to using, and in many cases they shouldn't be voicing they're opinions when they haven't even tried the other.

11. AntonioCROsb

AntonioCROsb Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
  12. ivekvv256

ivekvv256 Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
  13. Jezic

Jezic Elite Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Windows is better :)

14. savicaa

savicaa Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    For me Windows is much better then Mac :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.