1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

PC Online Games vs. Console Online Games

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by ogreman, Feb 26, 2010.

Who won this debate?

1. AwesomeDrako

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ScareCrow

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slessman

slessman Big Brute

Credit:
    I think you are making great points about both sides. I think that the console is not meant for online gaming as much as the pc is. I understand that there is currently a pc piracy issue but the problem is that it is only a matter of time before the console version of online games suffers from piracy problems too. Consoles have already been hacked like pcs are so there really is no argument toward superior performance for either side. Considering that pcs have the better graphics capabilities and you can perform more functions than gaming (watching DVDs, visiting websites, and even playing browser games) the pc becomes a more multi-purpose tool which consoles cannot compete with. I think that pcs win by a narrow margin. Plus, my favorite online game is not out for the console as it is pc exclusive.

2. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Also, consoles aren't that easy to crack to play illegal ROMs.

Many people do it to run games they create themselves (homebrew games), but it can be used nefariously also.

3. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    This isn't an open debate, but at your point Quinn, consoles are harder to crack than PC games yes, but people have still done it. In fact, the DS flashcart piracy is leeching hugely on Nintendo's and their partners' profits. And the PSP, while not as popular a handheld, is also getting pirated a lot. I've heard of many crackers on the internet hacking into all of the consoles, though the PS3 has only been hacked recently, and the hack has been released to the internet by this person as well I think.

4. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Sorry for the wait, I switched my internet to another company so I was without it for a few days xD.

Control schemes eh? Its more useful to have a gamepad than keyboard/mouse in a lot more genres than just platformer. Say, Flight Sims, Racing and even some shooters which utilize a joystick a lot, like Halo.

To the PC price thing, its still not entirely fair on the xbox to add them, as closest equivalent or not they are such different things that a web surfing PC doesn't deserve to be added.

Fine have your little indie games argument, but understand that indie games are a VERY small part of PC gaming.

New point (been saving this), ease of use.

Consoles, just pop in the disc have a good time.

PC's go through an install process, see if you meet system reqs and upgrade if you don't and a whole heap of other stuff.

5. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Hmm, when we switched ISPs, I think we only had a delay of a few hours before we could use it again, and that was during school, so it was NO DELAY for me :D.

Anyway:

What, so we must compare which of the two is cheaper, while keeping a closed mind to the fact that EVERYBODY will also have a PC if they have a console as well?

And about shooters, the mouse and keyboard setup is far superior to the gamepad setup for any shooter, even Halo. Why? Because the accuracy of a mouse and keyboard setup is far better. Why do you think there's normally an auto-aim option on console FPSs (at least a small amount of auto-aim)?

Ease of use eh?

You are right about consoles being just pop in the disc, and have a good time. And about PC, where you have to install the game.

But seriously, you really should check that a PC game would work on your computer before you buy it, it always lists in on the back of the box, or if you're buying online, in the description.

And with consoles, most older games are just pop in the disc and play, but these days, there's really massive games where you have to install stuff onto the hard-drive (at least, for PS3, not sure about 360.), and if not, there's the option of installing the entire game onto the hard-drive on a 360 for faster load times, which I think will tempt a lot of people to just wait it out and install the game.

And with PCs, people tend to complain about them running into errors all the time, so there might be a chance of running into one when playing your game on an older PC, but this is why people also say that you should upgrade your PC once a year if you want to run ALL THE NEWEST GAMES (though I doubt anyone has the time to play all the newest games), though to be honest, it took me a couple of months to finish Final Fantasy VIII, which is an older game, so if you do buy ALL THE NEWEST GAMES, it would probably take you three years to finish all of them :D.

And if you're on a 360, then RED RINGS could happen.

And I'd just like to say before we continue... IJI IS AWESOME!!! HAHAHAHA!!! CAVE STORY IS COOL!!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Sorry, love those indie games. Don't worry by the way, they're PC exclusive (obviously).

And one last thing:

Which do you prefer? Steam/Xfire or Xbox Live/PSN? Personally, I prefer Steam/Xfire, there's so much more freedom (cross-game chats? I can chat to someone on Steam while I'm surfing the web and they're playing Half-Life!)

6. ScareCrow

Credit:
    You seem to be missing one main point about control schemes. Yes a mouse and keyboard has better accuracy, but everyone on consoles uses gamepads, so no one is at any particular advantage.

Thats more than can be said with PC, where someone who has a better machine, mouse, keyboard, audio, etc is at an advantage.

With console installing it's 100% optional, you can download multiplayer patches, map packs etc, but nothing is forced upon you, and you can chose to just pop it in and play, and boom, your instantly having fun.

Red ring of death is pretty bad yes, but blue screen of death is worse.

Ok, lets assume someone has a PC, and they want to be able to play the game their friends are playing, say CoD:MW2. They have the option of paying $200-250 for an xbox, buying a new PC for $1000. And don't say you can upgrade your old PC, because it will most likely be on such and old platform they would have to upgrade every part, which defeats the point.

Yeah, you should check the system requirements prior to purchasing, but it's a horrible feeling looking at a game you want to play so bad and know that you can't because your computer just isn't good enough.

Now, upgrading PC once a year to play all the latest games? And your argument is that no one has the time to play all of the latest? If you don't continuously upgrade your PC you can't play ANY new games. Case closed.

7. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I was comparing control schemes, saying that BECAUSE the mouse and keyboard is more accurate, it's superior, doesn't matter that everyone on console has the same gamepad. However, the auto-aim on consoles makes it easier for someone with no skill to kill someone with a lot of skill, so the mouse and keyboard is a more accurate interpretation of skill.

And actually, you can get custom gamepads that make it easier to play FPSs on consoles I think (not sure how they work though). And with audio, it's the same with consoles. If you have a good headset or a 5.1/7.1 surround sound system in your lounge, then you are at an advantage. Same with mikes. If you have a machine that can run the game, then running it at a lower setting, at least enough to get the gameplay smooth, will ensure that no lag happens from slowdown. Keyboards and mouses don't give that much an advantage on any multiplayer game, whatever the genre, except maybe in WoW, where macro keys let you assign skills to those keys (not sure about other MMOs).

No-one gets blue-screens these days, except on severely underpowered machines that even an idiot could tell SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING THAT GAME. And at least after a blue-screen, your PC has a good chance of surviving (I've had some blue-screens in my time, and the PC always worked fine afterwards).

Well, if your friends are playing on PC, then you've got no choice but to buy a new PC or upgrade, and if they are playing on console, then you've got no choice but to buy the same console they have. Right?

The last argument you have is assuming that someone has the time to play every new game within, say, a month. Not many people have that sort of time, except for teenagers and children who don't much other than play games. If you don't have the time, then it should take you about three months to finish a game's single player (depends on the game, and three months is already pushing it. Final Fantasy XIII will probably take over a year for those people.), and then if it's a game with multiplayer, that will probably suck an extra few months AT LEAST if they like multiplayer. Case is still open imo.

8. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Wow this is a great debate so far. Personally I always like to side with consoles due to the feel of the controller over being choppy with a mouse.

However, great point are being made on both sides. Keep it up.

9. ScareCrow

Credit:
    No body's going to play all the new games, but its safe to say most gamers are going to get 1 or 2 new games a month, and that's a conservative estimate, on PC, you either upgrade or don;t play anything new, thats not a problem with consoles.

Ok, control schemes. A mouse and keyboard are superior in shooters and MMO's than a gamepad, but playing shooters on the xbox is far more fair. You don't have any particular frame rate advantage, you don't have a the advantage that comes with high end gaming mice and keyboards. And everyone has auto-aim, so saying a person with no skill can kill a person with skill is a pointless argument, they can get lucky, it happens, just as it happens on PC.

A gamepad advantage on xbox is miniscule, as custom ones and the standard microsoft ones perform identically. As for the sound, theres the same sound thing on PC, then you've got the mouse, keyboard etc.

Blue screens aren't all that can go wrong with a PC, you have virus's, spyware, the list goes on.

And all that you can pin on the xbox is the red ring, which you can immediately send to microsoft and it will be fixed, unlike with the PC where as soon as you touch anything the warranty is voided, which mean either you can't play new games by upgrading, or you lose your warranty (This is true for all name brand PC's and most custom ones, this only doesn't apply if you build your own.).

If your friends are playing on the PC, then yes you have to buy one to play with them, and keep upgrading to play whatever new games they start playing. If your friends have an xbox and you want to play with them, just but the xbox at a far cheaper price than the PC, and your done.

10. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Yeah, so the friends argument isn't applicable because that would depend entirely on what your friends play.

With a PC, it's unlikely that you'll get viruses or spyware from games (don't even know whether it's possible), unless you downloaded a virus on the internet, thinking it was a free game (and you'd have to be slightly dumb to download some obscure file off some obscure site, thinking it's a free AND good game). Getting viruses or spyware can only happen if you aren't careful on the internet. If you watch *rude pictures* (Gameogre censored the word I wanted to use) on the internet, then chances are, at some point, you will get a virus or spyware (cos the bad people target those sites). If you download files off obscure websites, then chances are, you are going to get a virus or at the very least, spyware. Basically, you are only going to get a virus or spyware if you visit a bad (most likely obscure) website, or download files off bad websites. There is software that can solve this problem. Many antiviruses bundle "link-checker" software which checks links on sites such as Google to make sure they aren't bad websites. Many web browsers have a blacklist of sites that are bad. The best solution is a tiny add-on you can get on Google Chrome or Firefox called WOT that scans many links on the internet, checks it with their database, and tells you whether they are good or bad with a little symbol next to the link, all happening in milliseconds. I can go on about the virus problem, but this is a games debate, not a "How to not infect your PC" Guide.

Well, if you open up your console, then the warranty is immediately voided as well. And, as soon as your warranty runs out, then you're screwed basically, you'll have to pay to have it fixed. With PC, your warranty is voided if you upgrade, but you really shouldn't mess with it unless you want to learn how to upgrade it, and maybe move on to building whole PCs. With most people, an easier option would be to simply buy a new PC once every two years or so. And one by-product of having to upgrade the PC more often than a console is that with the PC, if it breaks down (cos you've messed with something you shouldn't have *tut tut*) and your warranty has run out, then you might as well buy a new one. With consoles, once the warranty runs out, you could fix it for a price, or buy a new one, but you aren't getting any more power out of it. This could happen multiple times to the console, and you would never get any more power out of it.

Are you sure that most gamers would get 1 or 2 a month? My friend got COD4 a while ago, and he played that for like 2 years. Now he's got Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and it looks like the same thing might happen...

And on PC, unless you've got a PC that is below the minimum requirements, you could just crank the graphical settings down to minimum, and you won't have any frame rate issues. I'll say again, mouse and keyboard really doesn't make much difference to how good you play FPSs. You can take a look at a gaming keyboard. The layout is largely the same, except you have extra macro buttons. That could be useful for games like WoW (PC exclusive btw) where you can assign extra skills to those buttons, but not really for FPSs. A gaming mouse lets you adjust its weight, and sensitivity (though a normal mouse can be adjusted through software), but it's not really a very large advantage. The real thing that can affect your performance is lag. And that is whether your router/ISP is good or not, and that in turn, affects consoles as well, which also need stable, fast internet connections to avoid lag. And on games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2, you could play with friends on dedicated servers to have fast, stable connections all the time, while console players don't have this option.

You said a while ago that PC is falling, and console is rising. I personally think that console is maybe catching up to PC, though it's not really there yet (NO!!! I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SALES!!!!).

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Is the debate still going? Voting is very close:).

12. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    This better still be going, the consoles haven't won yet! o_O

13. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Waiting on Scarecrow, though I'm ready to end this any time, I'm growing tired of writing so much...

Also, another way of looking at is 'PC is still winning'.

14. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Continue ScareCrow:p.

15. ScareCrow

Credit:
    I give up, I know the whole point of debating is learning to argue for something you don't agree with, but this is impossible, PC's kick ass, consoles are terrible xD.

Good debate Drako :crowngrin:

16. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Great debate Scarecrow *offers hand*

Funny thing is, I actually prefer console slightly more than PC because I like console exclusives more, and my friends play on consoles. But PC is still amazing. :D

17. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Congrats to both of you on a great debate:). AwesomeDrako is now the debate champion. You can choose the next topic if you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.