1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Physical or Digital Media?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Aaddron, Jul 17, 2017.

Physical or Digital Media? (choose one you prefer more)

1. Physical (discs, cartridges, hardcovers)

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Digital (downloads)

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Do you prefer to buy physical or digital media? Does it change depending on what the media is (like games, movies, books etc?) Does your opinion change depending on the platform, like say buying on a console vs buying on a PC? Why do you prefer one over the other?

ugmsrocks09 and Snowy like this.
  2. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I prefer owning the physical copy of any media because it feels like you really own it, and you can sell the physical copy at any time you want when you're done using it. With digital media, there is some convenience as you don't have to necessarily walk into a store to purchase a digital copy, but the biggest caveat is that you can't really sell digital media, and if you lose the device that plays the media, you pretty much lose all of the digital media you had on that device.

ugmsrocks09 and Aaddron like this.
  3. Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise Cold Heart The Pit

Credit:
    The physical copy is better.
    Because there would really be an object representing the item that you own. On the other hand, digital copies are somewhat.. not real. Or you have this feeling that you dont own it and it can be taken away from you at any time. Something like that.

Aaddron likes this.
  4. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Interesting that you point out that physical copies represent ownership, but I could point out some advantages of digital media to make you think of the other spectrum. The main advantage of digital media is convenience. Sure, you can't feel a digital copy, but think about some of the conveniences that a digital copy has to offer. Other than not having to purchase a digital copy at a store, here are some other conveniences. When you're reading an e-book, you don't have to flip through pages, and most e-books make it easy to set a bookmark, add highlights, etc. When you're listening to digital music, you don't have to get a record player to play your favorite song; you can conveniently play digital music on an iPod, or whatever device you use.

Even though I prefer physical media, both physical and digital have their own advantages and disadvantages. Most people use both types of media instead of one or another.

Mayonnaise likes this.
  5. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    I'll oppose with having a physical copy, mainly due to the new technology that is constantly updating atm. Games, News, work all can be found stored and saved on a secured engine software. For example, gamers wouldn't have to drive down to a gamestop to pick up games and come back to see if the game functions properly or not. Instead, with the use of getting a digital copy, lets say from steam, they are able to save time as well as money on deals. This also ties in with online shopping, people would rather buy clothing or items on Amazon or Ebay just because it's cheaper and there is a more broader selection to choose from. Basically what I am saying, physical copies do waste time and time is something one cannot return from the past.

Aaddron likes this.
  6. Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise Cold Heart The Pit

Credit:
    Oooh. Come to think of it, yes you're right. There are pros and cons as well.. I see. Yes indeed. Having both types of media is inevitable. Which is not a bad thing c:

ugmsrocks09 likes this.
  7. Aaddron

Credit:
    At this point I more prefer digital. Gaming wise I like having all my games ready at all times, I don't like having to switch discs or cartridges an not really a big fan of trading in games anyways so physical starts to lose any advantages. I would definitely say being digital is some concern about losing games down the road, I really liked Onlive but when it shutdown goodbye to your entire library... it's a huge issue that doesn't exist with physical games.

Though I'd argue does it even matter anymore because even with physical games, so many require patches these days and if you can't get them patches is it really that much different than not being able to download it? I mean they can be pretty broken these days. Or worse, heavy online games that just become completely unplayable when the servers are gone... more and more games are doing it these days. I just don't see it as a real advantage for physical any more and it's only getting worse.

I'd have to agree with the idea of a physical game being a physical object, you can touch it, see it, feel it etc. It representing ownership more. It's way more satisfying (RIP Manuals) getting a new game and ripping off the plastic for the first time than making a digital purchase and watching the download meter lol.

End of the day I don't think their is a wrong way here. The sad thing is someday we might not have a choice, it's already all but dead on PC and consoles have been trying too... someday it might happen.

8. Izraphel

Izraphel Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I prefer owning the physical copy of any game,movie etc. if its possible if not i dont mind downloads...

9. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    When it comes to gaming I prefer digital for the same reasons as you. When it comes music I prefer physical because there's something gratifying about owning a full album physically. I started a vinyl collection about a year ago and I've been collecting my favorite hip hop albums, underground or mainstream that released from the time I was born (1997) till 2017.
    When I'm not at home tho I usually have to listen to music (digitally) via spotify.

10. Aaddron

Credit:
    If I ever started collecting music it'd be in vinyl form. Definitely the way to do it.

Rex likes this.
  11. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i like discs, it doesn't take up space on my laptop/console and i can share it with friends easily