1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Plan of action!

Discussion in 'OgreMUD' started by Noche, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Hey guys! :hz:

Looking back through the old threads, it doesn't look like we ever had a solid plan for where the MUD was headed (at least, beyond the world map layout in YWoT). IMO the biggest roadblock for us getting this off the ground has been a lack of preliminary planning.

This is what I'd like to see before we take this a step further, both to avoid confusion/conflicts and to ensure continuity across the entire game:

1. Solid backstory/plot. I know we've envisioned this as "the story behind Ogre Wars" but it hasn't really progressed much beyond that basic concept.

Also, we should probably figure out if this is going to be a plot-based game where players complete objectives in order to progress through a story or if it'll be more open.

2. More detailed map layouts. The main square/central city area is laid out well, but we should block out paths, zones, secret passages, rooms, etc. It's a pain in the butt, but when I was working on the old OgreMUSH I found it really, really helpful to have a map of which rooms link to which, how many rooms a certain path is, conditions on each room's exits (password, key, etc.) and any other important details pertaining to each room. We don't necessarily have to draw up every room together; however, we should at least plan out what we're going to do and confer before we actually build the zones just so that we know what everyone else is doing.

3. NPC "templates" - a standard procedure for creating a NPC and universal commands/processes for interacting with them. In OgreMUSH I scripted conversations between the player and each NPC, providing keywords so that the player could hold a "conversation" with the NPC.

For example, let's say that you use a command, "TALK," to initiate a conversation with George the bartender NPC and he says, "It looks like it's going to rain tomorrow." One of the player responses could be "What? How do you know that?" In this case, I'd probably use the keyword "WHAT" to allow the player to choose that line.

I'm terrible at explaining things like this. I think some of my old NPCs in OgreMUSH still work, so if that game is still up maybe we could use them as a jumping-off point.

4. Standard items with universal stats that can be bought in any item shop, preferably, like in your typical RPG. We should come up with a list of basic potions, armor, weapons, etc., keeping their stats and prices constant across the board so we have continuity across the zones. This could also avoid redundant/duplicate items. Also, we should probably keep a running list of all items we create and their stats so we have a reference sheet for debugging/administrative/building/editing purposes.

5. Structured combat, if it's not implemented already. Will we allow PvP everywhere, or just in certain battleground zones?

6. Master stat sheets for monsters/fightable NPCs so we can balance them, adjust their item drops, etc.

7. Some way of communication between whoever's working on this project, whether it be on the GO site or something else, so we're all on the same page, don't end up hindering each others' work, and can make this a great, cohesive MUD. :)

I know my activity has been anything but reliable lately, but I'll do all I can to get this thing up and running smoothly. It'll be awesome to finally see this thing through after two long years of work.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Great thread, Noche:).

Yes, wit would great to get th4e Mud going. We could promote it once it is playable for everybody.

3. Noche

Credit:
    The key really is communication. If we all go and build whatever we want like in the old MUSH, the game would fall apart again. Once we get all the preliminary work done it's just a matter of creating things to spec and building off of the foundation.

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    How is this coming:)?

5. Noche

Credit:
    It's kind of stagnated until quinn and I can find the time to do some hardcore planning, but I'll have some decent free time this summer so hopefully I can dedicate it to this project. :hz:

6. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Hope so. Would like to go forward with it and tie in the forum to it somehow:).

7. Noche

Credit:
    Yeah, me too.

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Do you want to mention this in the upcoming newsletter for more help?

9. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    PvP in the CoffeeMUD codebase was acting very weird and I was having trouble messing with the settings, as well as light being a bit..weird there as well. Not sure what to do about that, we could always switch again. I really want that SMAUG to work, but it was glitchy too. Silly old software!

I have some plot written up somewhere, I have to see if I can find it, if not I think I remember some of it at least, I will try to get that up somewhere soon.

The hard part is starting from scratch with nothing. It's so hard to just pick where to start, since basically every area has to be made from scratch. I have a lot of experience with building on MUSHes, but the MUD codebases are a lot different since they focus a lot on combat and the building is much less player friendly, at least that I've found.

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    This is what we need to know on the status of the game:). Hmmm, would like to see more about the plot.

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Received a PM yesterday from a new member wanting to help:).

12. Mystery

Mystery BamBam

Credit:
    coffeemud support group

Just an FYI, There is a Coffeemud support group that can help answer questions and help you set up things. It can be found at games dot groups dot yahoo dot com/group/coffeemud/
    As Ogreman mentioned, I am offering to help out in the building aspect when you are ready!:D

13. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Indeed:). Thanks for posting here as well, Mystery.

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Looks like you, Quinn, and or Noche should get together and discuss this:). I mentioned this to Noche yesterday in chat.

15. Noche

Credit:
    I apologize for the inactivity--I'll be around more now that summer's here. I'm available the next three nights if you guys want to start planning for real. :)

16. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Did we ever get a serious plan of action worked out yet? Quinn returned back from the abyss and now Noche seems to be taking his place lol. You are guys are definitely making me want to take over the project and learn coding just to get something finished:).

17. CHAC

CHAC Tingly Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    What are they working on anyway?

18. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    They were working on the OgreMUD:).