1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Player Population and Trading

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Maelious, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Maelious

Maelious Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I believe that a good sized player population and a good/safe trading/auction system is pretty important in an rpg.

How does this rank among your criteria for selecting an RPG?

CanineAQ3D likes this.
  2. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I think it's really important especially in games where there is a lot of items, inventory and bank storage.

3. a

a Ogre Queen Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    yed i think too that trading system is important in an rpg gme

4. Maelious

Maelious Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    We should try to press AE to add trading and an auction house to AQ3D!

5. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yeah I agree hopefully that's one of the next features they work on.

CanineAQ3D likes this.
  6. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    This should have been one of the first features they work on, since atm, we're just collecting items like we're playing dress up for no apparent reason. Trading would spice this rapidly decaying, broken promise laden game up and at least make it appealing. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

7. Sabugo

Sabugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I think the main thing is the PvP, this is how we test the skill systems.

8. I don't think population and trading are main factors that make an MMORPG successful.

Population is more like the byproduct of an MMORPG being successful; more people will visit a game, if it's a good MMORPG, but the population by itself doesn't really mean anything in terms of making the gaming experience fun. It just gives you more players to visit, and that's only a fraction of things to enjoy about an MMORPG. You could always find an obscure MMORPG somewhere online and find something good about it that has nothing to do with population or trading.

And as for trading itself, I think it's only one feature out of hundreds of other features. Some people like trading, but there are hundreds of other features that other people enjoy. And it also depends on the implementation, because some MMORPGs are plagued by cheaters that like to abuse features like trading.

And sometimes limitation breeds creativity; people will always find alternative things to do, even when features they want aren't in the game.

9. Sepherus96

Sepherus96 Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I wouldn't really like a trading system with ae because it would de value alot of the hard to get items