1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Raspberry Pi or Arduino

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by ogreman, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    May be buying one of these soon:). Does anybody have any experience with either of these?

2. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I used an arduino a fair bit as part of an Assembly language course. Haven't used a RasPi before, q has one and shugo's apparently worked with one before, but at the end of the day it's just a really tiny Linux computer.

3. Djordje Badric

Djordje Badric DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    I used a Raspberry Pi and i have words of praise,but maybe she didnt work the best in others^^

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    I bought the Raspberry Pi:).

Got all the accessories and finally set it up yesterday. My first try was aborted because the monitor said "Out of Range". However, I tried another monitor last night and it worked:). I am now online with it and played a game in Python called Squirrel Eat Squirrel lol.

5. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I've used an Arduino before to program some things in a C++-like syntax. Personally, I think an Arduino isn't that useful; it's mainly for learning about how to hardwire, program your code, set up and establish pins to a breadboard, use resistors (to make sure there's not too much power going into a device, like an LED which wouldn't be fun to see burn out), and play around with inputs (buttons, sensors, etc.) and outputs (LEDs, servo motors, etc.). You're not going to accomplish much out of an Arduino, unless you want to create some fancy Christmas LED patterns or something else (like a light sensor that detects if someone's walking into your room by checking the ambient light), but I think you certainly can find creativity from an Arduino, even if it's mainly a learning tool. But if it's something you want to learn how to use, I'd recommend watching some Arduino videos from Ben Eater on YouTube or reading through some manuals and tutorials. Just don't expect to create or run some video game with it.

A Raspberry Pi, on the other hand, is handy. Compared to the typical general-purpose computers (e.g. smartphones, laptops, desktop computers), a Raspberry Pi is pretty cheap, and they're nice for setting up web servers. It's something I might personally consider, when setting up a server for a ReactJS + NodeJS application. And you can definitely use a Raspberry Pi to run games, though I would just recommend getting a laptop for gaming personally. And I don't know why, but apparently, creating a gaming handheld using an Altoids tin and a Raspberry Pi is popular.