1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Riot Games (League of Legends) Bought Out

Discussion in 'Game News' started by Aaddron, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Tencent has bought out the remaining equity of Riot Games to become it's sole 100% owner.

Riot’s approach to compensation has always been about aligning the incentives of the company with Rioters, and also about ensuring that we compensate our talented team of professionals well.

As a result of our continued growth and changing circumstances, we're shifting to a new structure to recognize and reward Rioters' contributions - and that first involves a big change to our existing equity program. As part of this effort, our majority investor, Tencent, recently purchased the remaining equity of Riot Games. This allows us to move away from a Riot equity program towards a cash based incentive program that allows Rioters to share in Riot's success. This program comes in addition to our highly competitive salaries, open PTO, learning and development programs, 401K match, subsidized medical plans, and kitchens stocked with snax (poro and otherwise) all full-time Rioters get.

We’re excited about the flexibility of this new approach to comp and believe it’ll help us continue to ensure Riot remains a great place to work.

Source

ElZarid123, Srbenda123, Cybat and 3 others like this.
  2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Hmmm, interesting:). Wonder if this will result in any more changes.

3. Croco12

Croco12 The Crocodile The Pit
    1. TSM

Credit:
    It is already resulting.
    More ultimate super saiyan ultra mega skins then smart changes such as Replay System or Smart Spectaking system. Tencent is destroying the game and if they don't stop, players who played it because it is free will go away..

Srbenda123 and Bastiy22 like this.
  4. Aaddron

Credit:
    They've been the majority owner for a bit now so I'm sure they had quite some influence already but being full owner I bet we see more aggressive strategies. The safety net is gone that's for sure. It's also worth noting Tencent has significant investments in Activision Blizzard and Epic Games. Activision Blizzard is particularly interesting considering Heroes of the Storm is direct competition for League of Legends.

Overall I think the worst part of this is another American developer is now gone. Especially one that's been so successful. It's curious they even went this route, it's not like they *needed* the investments, the game was doing quite well even before it. I suppose they figure it wont last forever and wanted to cash out.

League of Legends players should be very concerned about Pay-to-Win. I wouldn't panic yet as the game is still very profitable and even Tencent isn't stupid enough to mess that up but when the game starts dipping be prepared. Beyond that I fully expect every aspect not Pay-to-Win to be priced high, they will squeeze the money out any area that's not completely necessary.

That said, I can't really blame them. It's a significant investment and they live on profits. People who play completely free need to understand it does cost money to make and run these games. Tencent also doesn't care if they leave, they obviously want to keep some so paying players have someone to play with but bleeding free players would be acceptable to a point for them.

Srbenda123, Bastiy22 and Croco12 like this.
  5. djolebelevode

djolebelevode Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    I only hope they won't change the game a lot. I don't care for skins,I don't play game for skins,I play it for fun

ElZarid123, Srbenda123 and Bastiy22 like this.
  6. Hunt3rBih

Hunt3rBih Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    i play only for fun

ElZarid123 and Bastiy22 like this.
  7. SarmaBPR

SarmaBPR Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    i play to win :D

Bastiy22 likes this.
  8. Hehmot

Hehmot Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Play for fun :):)

ElZarid123 and Bastiy22 like this.
  9. GioLegenda

GioLegenda Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Play for fun onlyy :):):)

Bastiy22 likes this.
  10. __Nix__

__Nix__ Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    Play for fun ^_^

Bastiy22 likes this.
  11. Nemanja2001

Nemanja2001 MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    tencent will destroy league of legends..i dont like that

12. Grawl

Grawl MLG King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Tencet will destroy Riot?

13. Nemanja2001

Nemanja2001 MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    Not riot The game itself League of Legends

Bastiy22 likes this.
  14. ZADSAR

ZADSAR Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    I dont think that it will change too much about gameplay on LoL,and its only that we need to care about :p

15. Cybat

Cybat Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    who is tencet lel? :p

16. Aaddron

Credit:
    The largest internet company in Asia. They aren't quite as big outside of Asia but still rank as one of the largest internet companies in the world. They dabble in a little bit of everything like social media, e-shopping, IM programs etc. As far as games go they now own League of Legends and have regional rights to CrossFire and Dungeon Fighter Online. They were the 3 top digital PC games by revenue last year... it wasn't even close, beating out 4th place WoW by $200M to reach even 3rd place. They are kinda a secret titan on our side of the world.

The largest danger to us is they don't seem to make their own, they just use their significant capital to buy into the top games. At one point it was rumored they may buy EA. They seem to prefer the Free-to-Play model... which is generally more pay-to-win, we could see some our favorite titles bought up and move to this.

Cybat likes this.
  17. brankomiljus20

brankomiljus20 Ogre Warlord Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Well LOL is most popular in China and Korea, they actually have places where u can eat and drink for free if you are Challenger tier. Also they are way serious with creating accounts, ive read somewhere that u need to enter your social number so u can make account, so ppl dont make more then one.
    I think that this will affect China and Korea even more, mby they were pulled back by RIOT for some decisions about marketing and game itself.
    I just hope that NA and EU wont suffer because of this.

I dont think that LOL will ever be pay per win game. I just dont see room for that. Every champ or rune can be purchased will in game currency.
    Also u purchase every item while playing game, and after that u start all over again in next game, so adding some kind paid items is useless.
    Only think that they could do is give 1 more weapon slot, but that is absurd. LOL will always be free to play, they cant change that

18. Cybat

Cybat Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    i wasnt really into this stuff so i didnt know, thanks :)

19. Aaddron

Credit:
    League is the most popular in the world by revenue. It's League of Legends, CrossFire and then Dungeon Fighters Online. Tencent has it's hands in all three of them to varying degrees. They already had a majority stake in Riot so for all intensive purposes they were already calling most if not all the shots. They're expertise is definitely Asia so that will be what they focus on most. Now that they completely own them though it removes any buffer the US and EU regions had, it's now 100% on Tencent.

They wont make any drastic changes immediately, they'll wait until they've at least got their money back. I don't think US and EU players have to worry too much right now, both regions are profitable enough to warrant attention and Tencent has the money to take care of all three. The main worry is does Tencent understand the EU and US markets, they are totally different than Asia. If they do it right it could be good for all because they have multiple times over the money Riot had on it's own.

Free-to-play is already the world's leading model. It definitely wont leave free. They will add pay to win if/when it makes sense. It will always be on the table. To what degree is the real question, it probably wont be literal pay to win but smaller things to improve odds. As long as League is on top it shouldn't have to worry though, it's just once profits fall off.

20. Lifeform known as Whis

Lifeform known as Whis Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.