1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Serious internet connection problem need help very soon

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Glazed, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Well, it's almost Spring. In the area that I live in, spring sucks. The rats come out, gnats and/or flies invade the home, bad storms that produce tornadoes and then drives spiders into the house, bad internet connection, the whole deal, and it all just SUCKS.

But today, I wanna complain about the internet connection. Every time, like last year, when spring comes and during summer too, the internet connection gets faulty and choppy. Every time, rarely during the winter, mostly during the summer and spring time, the internet connection every 15 or 30 minutes to 1 or 2 hours, the internet connection cuts out for about 3 or 5 to 15 minutes, and then comes back on again just to do it again very soon.

Every time, I try and get mom to call the phone company, or something, and sometimes she does, but she usually tells me we have to do some test so we can say we did the test they always tell us to do first before they actually help us, and this usually just stops at that point.

So, I have to get my mom to stop being lazy about it enough to harass our internet provider about it enough so they stop being lazy and send a tech. man out here to fix it, and then even when the problem is fixed, just 2 days to 2 weeks later, another problem appears. Sometimes a different one, sometimes the same one.

I've done virus scans and even turned off this energy saver thing, and it still acts up. Which reminds me of a question. Is a router or modem expensive? If so, how expensive? Because sometimes, I just want to throw it onto the highway and wait for a 18-wheeler to come by and run it over so we HAVE to get a new one. I live in the country, btw, and my modem brand is ZyXEL P-600 series, and my router brand is DYNEX.

Right now, it's trying this new method. And how do I know it's doing it? Because I'm trying to download a game that originally said only takes 3 hours to download, but every 1 to 5 minutes, the time rapidly increases, sometimes until it says it takes one day to download it, and then a few seconds to 3 or 2 minutes later, it lowers back down to 3 or 2 hours.

I'm tired of this bullshit, and I want to find some way to solve it before summer break. Since we don't have the money to go anywhere cool for summer break, I might as well make the best of my games. Especially my MMOs, which I can't play right with faulty internet connection.

Does this problem sound familiar? I tried googling it and binging it, and I got no results to what I'm looking for.

2. q

q Exiled Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    not really sure about the summer part, but it might have something to do with the country part. The providers have a priority list (large amount of customers = high, low customers = low priority) so you could be down there.

Downloads sometimes do that i've hit 1yr before but then it popped down to 1hr ( as long as it snaps back im happy :D)

I feel your pain cept my internet is crap all the time, Our internet is shared between 6 people (so already crowded) plus the fact my two little brothers play this game called roblox. This dumb game really slows the internet if not cuts me off, and they play it ALL THE TIME. This mainly sucks because I use FireFox as my browser and when you lose internet for even a moment it will crash, and it doesnt allways restore my tabs.

3. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    This makes me feel a little better. I use to play roblox before. It isn't bad, but I don't recommend it. I got perma banned for profanity. I thought they had a filter for that making it impossible for anyone to see it. Not only that, but with the many other times I got banned, I didn't even know they gave perma bans. It's not like it was a huge loss.

Anyways, thanks for the response. It's a possible answer, and it's a picker upper.:)

4. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I've had things be sporadic with estimated download time. Where like 1 second it says it will take 3 weeks, then it'll suddenly go down to 2 hours. However, I've never heard of an internet not running as well just because of the season. Who is your internet service provider (not sure if you said this, I didn't see it).

5. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    I can't remeber, I have to ask mom and dad.

6. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Something new has come up. It actually found a problem. I did diagnose and repair, and it actually found something, after the internet connection stopped for two minutes.

It says: Cannot communicate with www.microsoft.com(65.55.21.250)

"Network diagnostics pinged the romote host but did not receive a response."

It gives me the option to rese the network adapter "Local Area Connection", but every time I do this, it fixes the problem, but the problem always comes back. It's as bad as or even worse than just waiting for the problem to pass.

7. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    it could be the modem, then again it could be the modem settings or it could just be the provider

8. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    My provider? They do act lazy sometimes. I'm gonna assume their staff is made of people who hardly care.

And it wouldn't suprise me if it was the modem messing up.

9. slessman

slessman Big Brute

Credit:
    I think that they have given some helpful hints. I just wanted to say that you should call your ISP and get someone to come out and check out the problem. But I just want you to know that I sympathize with that. I am in college so I have to deal with a faulty internet connection all the time. It makes playing Ryzom really difficult.

10. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    I might as well. It doesn't really make sense for internet connection to get worse the closer to the middle of the year it is.

11. q

q Exiled Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    IF this was a constant problem if your cords are old like ours the wires could be wearing down, just the other day we were out internet for a while cause the wires in our Ethernet cable were split, but since it only in the summer.

Also, the vermin and bad weather could be a part of the problem

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  12. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Sorry for not responding.

Interesting enough, all wires go into the same router, and the router is connected to the modem. I've even switched the slots of the wires in the router, and they still act the same. I've noticed that my Nintendo Wii has the EXACT same problem as my computer, and it's also plugged into the router, but interestingly enough, my mom's computer almost never has problems.

I also discovered, that if I plug my computer directly into the Modem, the problem goes away, but then no one else can use the internet, so that doesn't work for long.

On the router, there's 4 green lights. One for my comp, one for mom's comp, and one for the modem. But what's the fourth one? It's also black, and I think it's for a computer we once had, but we don't use it anymore, so why is it looking like it is being used?

Could this have something to do with the problem?

13. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    what so funny about this is that you say it gets worse as you get closer to the middle of the year.

I've thought about it and there's a few reasons I've come up with:

1) internet consumption goes up in the area, which the provider can't keep up with (in which case you should get a new provider)
    2) internet consumption goes up and the router/modem can't keep up with it. the thing is too old to handle the burden of shared internet, it can't properly allocate internet usage for some odd reason when 2 or more are online and so it crashes (in which case you should get a new modem/router)
    3) it gets warmer during those seasons, router/mode gets overheated (silly i know, but could be it, solution get a new modem)
    4) it could be both 2) and 3)

there are 8 lights on my modem; 4 for the users (me, my neighbour and my 2 upstairs neighbours), 1 light for the wan, 1 light for wlan, 1 light for the power and last but not least 1 light for system on

my guess is that the 4th light you're talking about is the light for system/power and not some 4th computer that's not there anymore. Assuming I'm correct and if it's indeed black than that could be a bad thing. Basically what happens is the modem does an auto- shutdown when ever you use the internet for a certain period of time (say a few minutes). I'm not the most technical of people and seriously I could be very much in the wrong here, but it looks like you have a bad modem to me, that just can't handle it.

Same thing happened to me once when we (me, my sister and my parents) first got internet, back in I dunno 1996, 1997 or something. Back then we were on a dial-in modem and the first modem we had was (excuse my french) utter cr*p. It couldn't handle the burden, basically what you'd get that it dailed-in and then the connection would fail after a few minutes, which was because it couldn't stabilize a carrier wave needed to keep the internet connection alive. I talked about it to a friend that i knew from highschool and he told me he had had the same problem first, but that they got another modem (a dynalink) and that the connection had been fine ever since. After about a month of much frustration I finally convinced my parents that we get a dynalink modem and internet was fine ever since. My parents now no longer have dial-in and have adsl like just about everyone else in the neighbourhood, but back when dial-in was the only option it was the best optimal solution to the problem of getting online. The dynalink modem we had then cost us about 36 guilders (yeah this was before the euro was introduced), with inflation and at an exchange rate of 1.2 in today's money that would be about 39 american dollars (though I reckon modems have become more cheap these days). My guess is that regardless of whether it is dial-in it should be about the same price.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2010
  14. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    You have my thanks! That sounds very likely.

15. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Are you still having the problem?

16. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.