1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Sexism in MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Glazed, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Well, I don't know how to put this. I'm having a hard time thinking and remembering, and partially because I'm sick and thinking about and smelling the food that is cooking and what I am going to do next.

Well, basically, I'm talking about how in some MMORPGs they make female characters wear these extremely short dresses or skirts, or wear metal chest plating that are just two metal cups holding the breast, but just barely, and there's a near nip-slip, because just about only the tip of the cups are covering the nipples.

There even seems to be some cases (usually for someone like a mage or priest female) where it seems like the only thing the female is wearing is two thin cloths (or I sometimes call them napkins) over their breast and nothing but a leather or cloth (and sometimes metal) thong or panties over their vagina, but just barely, and they just barely cover the ass cheeks, but if they were any smaller, they'd probably go into the vagina and/or ass cheeks like a real thong.

And they usually have these big breasted glamorous and as someone once said "doll faced" warrior women, or these cute-faced, (and as someone also once said) dough-eyed, (sometimes) possibly oriental anime girls.

There's even sometimes (especially in some concept arts) where they have pics of panty shots of some females.

Now, despite that I'm a guy, I'm actually bothered by this at times. It at times gets tiring and annoying to see. Sometimes, I see some that are so outrageous, even I'M offended!

Now, is it like nearly EVERYONE who makes MMORPGs like stuff like that? Like a perv or something? Is it because a lot more men play MMORPGs more than Women? So there can be more male sex appeal? Especially since it seems like alot of men lately in MMORPGs like to play as females.

Also, what's your opinion on all of this? This is a discussion, after all, or atleast I'm aiming to start one.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Very interesting topic, but let's move it to the MMORPG section instead of Ogre's Breakfast:).

I have ran into many males that play female characters. From what I have seen, it is fairly widespread in WoW. It has gotten to a point where you don't know unless you voice or video chat with the person.

3. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Well, that kills the special feel of teaming up with someone who looks like a female.

This is just another reason why I don't like the idea of online relationships and couple systems they add to MMORPGs and "cybering". This is actually the biggest and most important reason.

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Yea, it does make you wonder if you are talking to a real female or not:).

5. tianhui

tianhui Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    And eventually we get our hopes up from our alleged 'online Girl friends', and disgusted after we find out who they really are :p

6. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Lol. Yeah. But, don't worry about me. When I play a MMORPG, I play as a guy because I am one, but only play as a female if it's something like a fighting game or if the MMORPG has really crappy character customization, or horrible looking males, or is SUN online. Because on that game, you can't choose a gender. All classes are gender locked, but the only two guys didn't look good.

One guy looked like the strong yet stupid barbarian type, and the other looked like he belonged in a JRPG. So, I went with the class that lets me play as the sexy strong girl that wearing a bikini top with a leather jacket over it and booty shorts.

Looks hot, but not offensive, IMO. Plus, she had weapons that I liked. Dual mini-crossbows that looked like guns but with metal bars attached to them and a thin, strong thread line connecting the two bars, but also get to use a single big crossbow that fires explosive shells.

Awesome.:p

7. dieanna

dieanna MMORPG Addict The Pit

Credit:
    i think female toons are much appealing than those of male toons. of course, 80% of the population of the gaming world are males. so the game devs tend to create more daring females toons to attract male players to play their game. the more skin that female toon show, the more it pleasures the eye of a male player.

as for me, i always create a male toon instead of a female. just to treat me right and equal. :)

8. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i bet guys play as females to get better treatment. Face it, a male will likely give loot to female than another male or be more willing to help level.

9. dieanna

Credit:
    i agree on that.. :D
    male players always tend to treat female toons very lightly. and that's the disadvantage of it.. LMAO.

10. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I just try to help everyone, in all games, which was bad once in Ogame because I promised I'd help this guy I just attacked...

Wow. I fall so badly for sob stories.

11. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    The precentage has possibly changed, but I read somewhere that 50% male players play as females, and 75% female players play as males. You won't catch me treating someone differently just because they're a female in-game. No offense to you.:D I just treat everyone normally.

I figured it was for 3 reasons. One is the one you just said. To get more special treatment. Two is because of the looks of the female. The guy player wants to look at something pretty while grinding to make it better, and I can kinda understand that, especially since in point 'n clicks you can play with one hand and "play" with the other, if you know what I mean.:D And the third reason is because it's probably some guy who is "funny" and wishes to be a female, so a game is his chance to show his woman side.

Well, it was a sorta interesting read.:)

12. DarkJedi

DarkJedi DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Sounds good.. If you have some screenies there, please post it.. I really want to see those characters ^^

13. dieanna

Credit:
    LOL. you're really into sexy girl toons.. ^^

14. tianhui

tianhui Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    it breaks down to primal instincts, we are no better than cavemen :p

15. dieanna

Credit:
    LOL.. the cavemen really hit the spot... :D

16. anymotion

anymotion DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    True, male players are generally nicer to female players. Sometimes I'll play as a female player and randomly male players will come up to me and be like, " HEY I WANT TO HELP YOU! " It'll be really confusing since they'll try to show off and stuff.

17. dieanna

Credit:
    well, yeah.. sorta building impression on a female player. :D

18. booyahb

booyahb BamBam

Credit:
    two words: sex sells. in movies, advertisements, video games..whatever. Vidoe game industry is a businiess so they are going to create what people want and a lot of people enjoy sexy characters, i think its lame but guess my opinion isnt going to change the developers minds

19. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Yes, booyah, that is the aim of most Video game companies I think in doing this.

20. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    well you know how the saying goes...

up with mini-skirts

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.