1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

SMITE Forum

Discussion in 'Smite' started by Supernatural, Aug 1, 2012.

Who is better?

1. Osiris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tyr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LosmiK

LosmiK Mr. LosmiK Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Idk, maybe TSM or Dignitas :)

2. LosmiK

Credit:
    Yeah, similar to LoL :)

3. LosmiK

Credit:
    Sequence of Shadows

[​IMG]

[0:00] Another day in this particular Mayan region. How I despise this place. Well, at least it’s far less retching than that Roman arena. With the dense fog and thick jungles, privacy might actually be possible here.

[0:10] I have Hel, Bakasura and Medusa as my supposed ‘comrades’. Can’t complain much. Even though I wouldn’t normally associate myself with them, or anyone for that matter, they are better company than most. I highly doubt I would be on the receiving end of complaints from these loners. Hope this finishes sooner rather than later. I was in the middle of a very fine book.

[1:12] Luck is on my side today. The harpies did not give as much of a fight as they normally would. Must be this awful weather brewing. I don’t feel like giving much of a fight either. In my lane, I find myself pitted against Ra and ughh…Thor. Perhaps I spoke too soon regarding my luck.

[​IMG]

[6:43] Nothing much has happened so far. I group up the little vermins with my decoy and my dear daughter clears them up for me. She deserves a better residence than the wretched realm of Hell. Sometimes, I wish I was a better father.

[9:25] Ra is rather low on Health. How absurd of him not to return to his base. A quick backstab and Ra is out for the time being. I vanish and decide to make myself scarce before my fool of a brother decides to remove me from the picture as well. I take the scenic, albeit longer, route through the Jungle as I make my way back to base.

[12:11] Our Siege Juggernaut has arrived. I wonder who decided to forcefully ‘tame’ these wild beasts. Poor creatures. But I guess that’s just the way it has to be. Those in control are allowed to run amok and put their power on display while these so-called ‘unworthy’ beasts are cast aside or put to use for the gain of these gods. How barbaric.

[​IMG]

[14:54] With the aid of the majestic beast, we take down the tower on the left. It left us just as the tower was destroyed. Just before the light went out of its eyes, my dear daughter decided to make an appearance for the creature’s passing. We proceed to get our vengeance by wiping the enemy out completely. I vanish and start the killing process with my daggers, allowing their bleeding to make them giddy. We ignore the little ones. My decoy is more than capable of handling them. Medusa’s gaze turns Ra and Apollo to stone, immediately taking them out. Ymir is left with a fraction of health as he very slowly tries to escape our clutches. The combination of Hel’s Hinder and Bakasura’s little minion army makes all forms of escape quite nearly impossible. Ymir falls.

[16:30] We chase Thor through the jungle. I can’t recall how he became this sneaky and slippery, teleporting with Mjolnir and erecting walls in our faces. I simply cannot believe that the people back home have the decency to call me the Trickster God when their future king here is far trickier than me. I spot him at the edge of the Speed camp, ready to escape with this move he calls ‘Anvil of Dawn’ back home. I chuckle everytime he proudly exclaims this ‘move’ of his out loud. His stupidity is even more obvious than I thought was possible. I vanish and made an incision in his back, now trickling with blood.

[17:00] We get a Deicide.

[​IMG]

[19:59] One tower remains. We decide to leave the Wild Juggernaut alone. This was not its fight and it had no business in our proceedings. We were all rather low on Health. My team decides to leave for base just after completing the buff camps. It was not to be for half of the team. My brother and Apollo decide to ‘drop in’, killing Medusa and I. I take in the beauty of nature from the eyes of my daughter as I wait to respawn.

[22:35] Why do these minions follow me? No reward awaits them, even if they do somehow manage to kill me. They deserve their own freedom and to be treated with respect instead of being almost irrelevant at this point of time. Maybe I should stop calling them ‘vermin’. Putting in a reminder to have a word with the leader of these vermin.

[35:05] Another teamfight breaks out. Ymir’s actions tells me that he isn’t in the fighting mood either. There could be two reasons for this: 1. We had mutual respect for each other or 2. This blistering heat must be getting to him. I imagine it must be a lot worse for him, being made up of ice and all. Unfortunately, the other three give everything they have. Ymir and Medusa are dead.

[37:15] Bakasura throws out his minion army again and together, we take down Apollo and Thor. Father should see us now. It is clear that I was always a better tactician for war. Unlike my brother who prefers to appear out of nowhere in the thick of things, I resort to tactics such as creating diversions and using stealth as a mode of travel. With his arrogance, it’s a wonder he still able to wield Mjolnir.

[​IMG]

[40:00] Ra’s healing is too much for us to handle. We let him retreat as we removed their Phoenix from existence. It’s a good thing these birds are able to rise again from their ashes or I would have faced a difficult time killing them.

[41:40] We proceed to their Titan. With a heavy heart, I give the killing blow on it. It explodes all around us. I’m sorry, Titan.

[42:00] Another day has come and gone. I hope I don’t get called upon so soon. All this killing makes me feel uneasy. I don’t kill, I play tricks. Even that has gotten exceedingly mundane. Back to the book then. Which page was I on again?

4. LosmiK

Credit:
    This Weekend: Mayan Pantheon Party

[​IMG]

This weekend, July 9th through 12th, there is a Mayan Pantheon Party going down on both PC and Xbox One!

So, what does this party consist of? Well, all Mayan gods are unlocked and playable for all players and all of their skins and voice packs are 50% off! Once you get your First Win of the Day on either Saturday or Sunday, you will also receive the Mayan Player Icon!

Grab them whilst they're hot because there ain't no party like a Mayan party, because a Mayan party don't stop... until July 12th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxlFvBwENzo

5. LosmiK

Credit:
    Tying the Connections: Scylla

[​IMG]

Here we are again, back to tie the connections between a goddess’ abilities and her lore. This time we’re looking at someone who isn’t technically a goddess, but part of greek myth all the same. It’s the monstrous little girl that hurts way more than any character has the right to: Scylla, Horror of the Sea.

Scylla’s tale is riddled with themes that seem to drown Greek mythology: desire, jealousy and spite. The most accepted version of her legend has Scylla born as a beautiful sea nymph, or Nereid, that was besieged with many suitors. She turned all of them down, as none of them spiked her interest enough, and she decided to remain with the other Nereids.

Glaucus was one of those suitors, falling in love with Scylla the moment he laid his eyes upon her. But he wasn’t a normal human anymore, as his lower body changed into a fishtail after chewing on a plant. Scylla, horrified by his appearance, mistook him for a monster and fled, leaving the heartbroken Glaucus behind.

[​IMG]

Glaucus was not one to give up so easily: he was so smitten with Scylla that he went to the witch Circe for a magical potion that would earn him the Nereid’s affection. But it wouldn’t be a Greek myth if there wasn’t a love triangle involved, and in this case Circe fell in love with Glaucus as hard as he fell in love with Scylla. She tried her hardest to get his heart off of the Sea Nymph and into her hands, but Glaucus could only think of Scylla.

This is where we touch upon the jealousy and spite, as Circe could not stand having the man she loves love someone else. In a fit of jealous rage Circe poisoned the waters Scylla used to bathe. Upon entering the waters Scylla changed into the monstrous form she’s known for: the head and torso of a woman, six baying dogs around her waist and the tail of a fish. The dogs attacked and devoured anyone who came close, beyond her ability to control, making her flee to the edge of the strait she used for bathing, opposite the whirlpool Charybdis, to live out her days alone.

Now those navigating the strait are caught between Charybdis and Scylla. Move too much away from one, and you will run into the ‘arms’ of the other. Coming too close to Scylla means losing six members of your crew, one to each of the dogs who come up out of the water and devour the men whole. Coming too close to Charybdis meant certain doom for your ship, as the whirling waters would suck it down to the depths.

[​IMG]

Before we delve into her abilities, I want to take a moment and look at her appearance in the game. Reading just the above description of Scylla, it is strange that Hi-Rez depicted her as a little girl. But there are a number of references to a ‘child-like laughter’ in the myths that include her. The myth above is also just one of the most accepted versions, as there are also tales that tell her being born in the monstrous form she has. Both of these would explain her young appearance in the game, and make it lore appropriate. The fishtail we might never find out, as we can’t really look under her skirt. Which is better that way, because who would look under a young girl’s skirt?

The shortage of dogs in the game, four instead of six, has no connection to the lore as it is specifically mentioned she has six dog heads. Because of this is have the strong suspicion that it’s an esthetic choice. The way they appear from her during her ult, or when she jumps, makes it hard to include two more without making it too crowded or the heads losing their intimidating look due to being too small.

Now, let’s (finally) get into her abilities!

[​IMG]

Quick Learner

This passive doesn’t have any direct connections into her lore. Nowhere is it stated that Scylla is knowledgeable or a quick study, as most of her mentions are centered around her being one of the two dangers in a narrow stretch of sea. However, if you look at the stories including the child-like laughter, and the subsequent young look attached to it, it makes sense. Young children learn much faster than adults, and a child-like monster would reasonably have the same innate ability.

Sic ‘Em

The origin of this ability isn’t hard to imagine, as the animation pretty accurately shows what happens when you get too close to Scylla. Devouring those hit would be slightly broken, so a root and cripple is an ‘adequate’ replacement. This only flies when you look at Scylla as being born monstrous, as the Nereid legend states that she has no control over them at all and ‘Sic ‘Em’ is clearly a command. It does enforce the idea of the dogs being separate entities, even though they’re attached to her, as she needs to command them to attack.

Crush

Let’s get it out of the way: no connection to lore. None. Zip. Nada. But then the question rises, where DOES this ability come from? The only theory I can think of is the choice of making Scylla a mage. The animation shows a magical circle of some sorts, and she can control whenever it detonates. These kinds of ‘magical traps’ are a common occurrence in fantasy literature and fantasy games. With her being a mage, especially a young one, having an ability based on such a basic magical effect (assuming it is, based on how often it shows up in games/literature) is not a big stretch of the imagination.

Still lore inappropriate though.

[​IMG]

Sentinel

Back to the doggies! Well, one of them. While it is never mentioned she used her dogs to look out for ships, it’s not that unrealistic to think she would have. The only things that ever attacked the ships that sailed too close are the dogs, implying that Scylla never left her home, or didn’t venture too far from it. Using the dogs to ‘patrol’ for ships sailing by would be entirely feasible. All of this is still assuming the ‘born a monster’ origin and she has some control over them.

The teleportation part of Sentinel is entirely a game-y solution to Scylla not having any mobility as a squishy mage. No matter which origin you follow, Scylla is a decidedly immobile monster, always lurking in the same place.

I’m a Monster

This is about as lore accurate as it can possibly get. The dogs attack a target, and with the sheer amount of deletion potential this ability has they might as well devour their hapless victims. The lore inaccuracies that are present are mostly due to the model having too few heads or her age being not specifically mentioned anywhere in the ‘born a monster’ origin. Both of these points have been discussed before.

As a whole, Hi-Rez has taken a fair amount of liberties in designing Scylla.
    Those liberties are understandable though, as Scylla is a very one-dimensional monster in Greek mythology. The Nereid origin provides some depth to her personality, but not a lot to base a MOBA kit on. While not the most lore accurate character in the game, there’s no denying the fact that deleting the opposition with a Crush, Sick ‘Em, I’m a Monster combo is extremely satisfying.

6. axwellshm

axwellshm Ogre Extraordinaire The Pit

Credit:
    In your opinion, who is better?

Is it Ah Muzen Cab, Mayan God
    [​IMG]

Or is it Hel, Norse God?
    [​IMG]

7. axwellshm

axwellshm Ogre Extraordinaire The Pit

Credit:
    Who is better?