1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

soundcard, internet port, mouse busted

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by shugo, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    OK So I'm doing some volunteer work for a foundation. They really have issues with computer maintenance. Read it and weep.

The computer finally broke this saturday. It had a long history of issues with a lot of problems.

About 4 years ago there had been fire in the lamps above a table. Apparently the electrical circuits in the mechanical room were/are not ok.

Note. The socket in which the computer is plugged in, isn't earthed. The computer is in an old 14th century church with dusty floors.

About 6 months ago, the internet of the computer had issues. Internet would go on and off all the time. It became really frustrating. There were road works near the village, so I suspected they were busy with the cables towards the village. Then about 4 months ago, with the road works finished, things returned to normal.

About 3 months ago, the manager turns ill. Suddenly the printer doesn't work, but a day later having deduced its not the printer driver, the printer begins to work again. It is around this time that I begin to notice that some volunteers don't shut down the computer the way they supposed to. We have a lot of volunteers in there late fifties or early sixties, who generally are computer illiterate.

Then about 2 months ago, internet went on and off again. At first I suspected the wire between the modem and the computer. I took a reserve wire to the foundation and that wire didn't work either. So next I suspect it's the modem. I call their provider. I reset the modem and surely enough the modem ain't working. Power is on, but the little light of the internet won't turn green. So I ask for a new modem.

The package containing the new modem is mailed to us the next day. While I'm waiting for the package to arrive I turn on the computer and I notice that sound doesn't work anymore. I attempt to install the new modem. Still no internet. So I call the provider again. While I'm on the phone with the helpdesk, I pull the computer forward to plug in another cable and right at moment the mouse wire breaks. I deduce that it is the internet port in the computer that's not working, because internet is working fine at an other computer upstairs.

So now internet, sound, and the mouse don't work on the computer downstairs. The hard drive seems to work, but who knows for how long.

I could replace that hardware, but wouldn't it be just better to get the important files of the old computer, and buy a new computer to replace the old and busted computer downstairs?

Does anyone have any idea what it costs to repair, a mouse, a soundcard, an internet port and possible a usb port for the printer, and maybe a motherboard?

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Are you sure it's hardware and not software? I'd assume it runs Windows XP? Windows can get quite dodgy after a while. Could try putting a Linux Distro on a USB or CD and try to boot it (can run without touching anything so the Windows install would safe)... with some luck it'll boot (hardware compatibility has gotten really good but still spots) and you can check if the stuff still isn't working, no drivers needed.

If it's Windows XP or older I'd suggest just going the new computer route than trying to fix it. Might be able to find the parts but when you start getting into the motherboard then it's pretty much gonna need to be a full rebuild unless you can find the same type of parts... which is tricky on old computers.

Building one yourself is generally cheaper but it's pretty much to the point on the low end side that it's really not much of difference after the cost of Windows and saves you the trouble of ordering all the parts and putting it together.

3. shugo

Credit:
    It has windows vista. But I am certain the mouse is broken. The wire cap snapped off. As for the sound, I checked the driver and it seems ok.

Tried a different cable for the internet, modem works fine now, so if it hardware, it has to be the port.

Judging by the state of things, and if it is hardware, which I think it is, then it will probably be a new computer. I don't trust the motherboard. I mean hard disk works and all, but with that many hardware issues, it seems fishy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
  4. Aaddron

Credit:
    Yeah, hardware is getting to the point price and performance jump wise, where it's almost better to throw out and start fresh than repair and upgrade older stuff. Plus it's a really good idea to get on Windows 7 imo, XP is dead and Microsoft is trying to kill Vista as fast as it can. Windows 8 is coming soon but it's so different I think it'll turn 7 into the new XP and will probably end up getting an extend support cycle.

5. shugo

Credit:
    well, that's exactly what i was thinking.

but judging by the state of things, i.e. limited knowledge of the volunteers and foundation board members, and the limited budget, they will probably look for an older and cheaper computer. i reckon it's gonna be vista again :(

or maybe some board member will think it a wise decision *cough* to have computer with xp (despite its age)

6. shugo

Credit:
    well the computer is fixed

It turned out not to be so bad afterall. It got a new mouse and a new network card. Sound cable was plugged in the wrong port, so that's why it didn't work, with so many issues I hadn't noticed that.

7. Aaddron

Credit:
    That's good, glad it's fixed.

8. shugo

Credit:
    It only cost 30 euro and a spare mouse. Not so bad really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.