1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

state of games in general?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by valkangel, Nov 16, 2017.

1. valkangel

valkangel DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Hi guys, just wanna know your thoughts about the current state of games in general ? Have games stopped being fun ? not enough interesting mechanics? all graphics and no gameplay? what do you guys think ? please discuss.

2. I would say that games are evolving, but it also seems like there's been less variety over the years. There aren't as many new 2D games as there were in the past. I wouldn't say games have stopped being fun, but I will say certain games have lost their nostalgia.

3. fallenCrest

fallenCrest Big Bad Ogre The Pit
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I have noticed that games are moving to limiting gameplay and mechanics to upgrade and finance better graphics.

I mean graphics are nice and all, but I'd rather have more awesome gameplay and interesting mechanics with less "hyper-realistic" graphics.

4. Blasphy

Blasphy Emperor Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    The Gaming world is evolving, 2D games are dying. The Devs prefer making games that are close up games such as COD , ABZU , Starwars , Witcher , Skyrim, Darksouls you name it. VR games are also popular. I remember the 2D versions of Legend Of Zelda now they have The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild for Nintendo switch some of the 2D games are evolving and other 2D's stays dead.

5. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    New games are still fun but I think there's a nostalgia factor. When they're playing in the moment they might feel indifferent about a game but then as years pass they remember the fun aspects.

6. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I think that games are in a good spot. New games come and go with enjoyment to get from them. So in general games are still doing well and i hope they will be like so in the future as well. Games never stop being fun for me and i will keep having fun with them.

7. For the consumer, I can agree that games are in a good spot, but for developers, I think they're in a less good spot because of how games have evolved and how many games there are competing with each other. With consumers demanding more out of game companies, it means more work for the companies developing the game.

8. fallenCrest

fallenCrest Big Bad Ogre The Pit
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I always knew the gaming industry was always inevitably going to have large companies taking over small business at some point. Like how the rest of the economy of the world is becoming.

9. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    The gaming industry is worth billions so obviously larger companies are definitely wanting to remain powerful and get rid of competition.

10. Well there are a few successful indies, but most indie games don't last long. A few gain a ton of popularity, but then decline over time. Large companies are more likely to have success though because they have more workers and wealth. With indie companies, they have to find a different approach to capture an audience.

It would be impossible for large companies to get rid of competition as there are several video games out there. Even some games like Cuphead, Undertale, and other games are ran by indie companies and they've proven to be very successful, though probably not as successful as games like League of Legends and World of Warcraft.

11. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I think AAA games are struggling with commercialization, was glad to see the negative reaction to Battlefront 2 and hope it helps stem this tide a bit. It's scary what they are doing and it's only gonna result in worse games for us.

12. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    EA has screwed themselves many times and that Battlefront 2 situation definitely rang some bells alright! It would be good that things would go better for now on, but i have my doubts about EA.

13. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Supposedly UFC 3 is even worse. It's just sick they are trying to push it this far. It's like paying $60 to get access to a F2P game an all it's traps... just stupid. Pick one or the other, not both. We've seen this trend for a while, all these big companies are trying to squeeze more and more out, an to be fair the cost to make these games have skyrocketed so it's not completely unreasonable. It's just the ways they are trying now are so bad for us, they are literally designing the games around the money scheme.

Take NBA 2k, it's mycareer mode has been a revelation for it. 4 years ago you could play it, earn tons of points to upgrade and just enjoy building your characters. Now it's a massive grind, the whole mode is designed to be a giant timesink to encourage spending real money to skip the boring parts. You can't build the character you want, because starting over means tons of lost hours and if you spent any real money that's down the drain too... no refunds!

Plenty of other issues with the industry too but this one is particularly scary because a rather large number of consumers are supporting these practices and spending way too much (GTA5 is a great example). As long as the cash keeps flowing they don't care what we think.

14. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Im more on the modern side of games. I've lost interest in most 2D games, tho games before cost me nothing. With my current games, I'm buying what I can.

But Im enjoying my current games now more than before. There are a lot more choices now so it's better for me, but if I dont have a job Id probably say older days were good.

15. Stroik

Stroik Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I think they are still pretty good. Some games are getting better while old classic games are getting worse whenever the companies try to make a new version or revive the game.

16. I think it depends largely on how the game company remakes the game. Some remakes are good (i.e. stays true to the original, but usually focused on an element like upgraded graphics), some remakes are improvements (i.e. adds features that were missing in the original), and some remakes depart from the original (i.e. game is too radically different from original or has bad features).

For instance, I like to compare Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3DS remakes to their original. For instance, Ocarina of Time (3DS)'s biggest improvement were the graphics. In contrary, Majora's Mask (3DS) pitfall were the slow swimming. There's always going to be trade-offs when you compare an original game to a remake.