1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Strangest thing that happened to you ingame?

Discussion in 'Adventure Quest 3D' started by Rex, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Randy1987

Randy1987 Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Aq3d is always disconnecting in my phone idk why but my network is better af

2. A lot of players have that problem, and I feel like it's most common on Apple devices, but I'm not exactly sure. Never played on Android to see if the problem occurs there as frequently since I don't have an Android device and I don't feel like using an Android emulator.

Aside from mobile, the game does have legitimate network/server-side issues from time to time. When that happens, the player count dramatically drops and when the servers are back up, it's hard to catch up on what you were doing previously. People say it's a DDoS attack, but others just poke fun at AE saying they need to "upgrade their CloudFlare" or get better servers or something like that. Personally, I think AE does need to own up to the situation and take responsibility of the core issue instead of letting the issue slide or even blaming anyone since that just hurts their game more. I've notice players logging in less, particularly older players.

3. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I wouldn't really count that as being a strange thing because it's more like a common occurrence. All ports have AQ3D do have network errors and mobile ports seem to suffer the most.

4. Usually network issues for a PC device means servers are down, and it'll sort of prompt you that you have issues connecting to a server... but what it really means is that you're not the only one experiencing the same issue at that instance, but everyone else is as well. The server will still show an "online" status, but the API will show a decline in numbers.

Mobile network issues on the other hand are completely different, because usually the servers are fine, but the connection for some reason between your mobile device and the server isn't fine. From the ServerList API, the numbers will still be consistent, so the issue's really just affecting you and nobody else.

That's not to say that PCs can have issues similar to mobile, but that exact issue is rare compared to mobile, especially when we consider that a PC and a mobile device are connected to the same Wi-Fi. I have no clue what goes on behind the scenes when between devices and servers, but I would think they'd use functions from Unity for handling network instead of building their own, and maybe Unity just doesn't have certain capabilities by itself.

5. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    Having latency and getting disconnected therefore isn't strange, it's just something you should expect while playing a game like AQ3D even if you have a good internet connection and hardware. When it comes to servers going down and leading to disconnections all across the board, it's something that we have to guess what's going on. Is it our internet connection, AE's servers or DDoS attacks?

6. Would be better if they updated their modal boxes to pinpoint what the issue really is, because I often have to check their ServerList API to see if the disconnection only affects me or is affecting other players as well. The least they could do is show the player count next to the server name, which I don't understand why they haven't done that yet since their API already provides that information.

7. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    It would be easier to read if it did have that number next to the server name and having the number of connections next to the number of players. Having more information on the issue would be handy for them too.

8. Well they definitely have more information than players do. Wouldn't really change anything for them to add a server count, only a change for us since players are the ones that lack information. I think anyone who's concerned about trying to connect to the game would want more information on why they cannot connect. AE's own responsibility is separate from "more information", because their concern is maintaining those servers.

9. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    Yeah and AE doesn't want to give us too much information because that can potentially lead to problems. It wouldn't be great that players that say when they disconnect: "Wow, that was strange, I wonder why that happend?" Something like that shouldn't be strange.

10. Depends on the information. Having knowledge of the server count wouldn't be a problem though, especially since they do it for their other games.

11. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    I would be nice if they had the number of players online displayed on aq3d.com like they have in their other games. No need to check the API to see those player numbers.

12. I think having the player count on the main website would be largely redundant. First, most people aren't going to check the website if they're wanting to join a server; they're going to check the game itself because the game is what gives you entry to the server, not the website. Second, the player count that the website would show probably would merge the player count from both servers, so you wouldn't really know which server is down, or know the stats for individual servers.

13. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    If even if it was, it hasn't stopped AE from displaying the player count of AQW. It would make things less confusing and have those numbers show up when you are selecting a server to play on, but AE hasn't done that yet even though they got that information.

14. What separates AQWorlds from AQ3D is that AQWorlds is still largely a web game (even if they've encouraged players to move to some Flash Player), and the game originated in 2008. It doesn't matter much, if they have a bunch of information (news, player count, etc.) on their website since AQWorlds itself is a game you can play on their website; you just conveniently open a tab. The way I see it, AQWorlds is a game of the past.

But with AQ3D, it's completely different. For any 3D MMORPG, you expect to be immersed and you don't expect to exit out of some game just to do other things (even though you could with AQ3D since some objectives do get boring from time to time). And times have changed as well... information moves out more asynchronously and servers run APIs to grab data more effectively. Just because their past experience with games worked out doesn't necessarily mean it would translate to the future for any new game they make... it's all about adapting.

15. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    AE has experience from their past projects and they got better tools compared what they used to have and adapting is the thing they should be doing if they want AQ3D to be a success and keep the things going in general. QoL changes that give us more information so we get to scratch our heads less over things.

16. Past projects and tools don't necessarily translate, but they should offer a big picture to what is possible. Like with AQ3D, AE has really tried to omit features that are present in their other games, especially prominent story characters from AQWorlds like Alteon, Gravelyn, Sepulchure, and Drakath just to introduce a new story villain that nobody really cares for because nobody can really relate to that villain. For the most part it feels like they're trying to recreate an experience from scratch rather than extending what's already been created in the broad scope.

And considering things like Flash and ActionScript being completely different than Unity and Unity C#, AE can't just translate code in an instant, but they can use whatever resources they have as a reference guide. I do think a lot of things, they do have to recreate, such as the server menu, but I don't think it should take years just to see servers show the player count (which still isn't a feature). When it comes to core features and useful features, that's something AE can't maintain in a reasonable time span, and I think that's just part of why players experience problems in the game a lot.

17. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    Let's just say it's something to get used to and AE has had the time to do so even with just a handful of developers. I would think that they know what they are doing at this point when it comes to working using Unity and C#. There are still these things that should be in, but that's just AE's own fault focusing on content releases more which in some cases isn't a bad thing unless it's blatant filler content.

18. ZaRaV

ZaRaV MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    when i was killing akriloth while his HP was below 2% then my mom accidentally plugged out my computer lmao

19. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    That probably didn't feel so great when it happened. So close but somehow so far.

20. Probably not the worst thing in the world. Akriloth isn't too bad to take down, even on a second attempt. At least it wasn't a boss on a 20 minute timer that you got disconnected on; that probably would have been more infuriating.