1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Students urged to enter landmark competition

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by GameOgreVideos, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Budding computer games designers are being given a unique opportunity to design a digital game for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Any student studying in Scotland is eligible for the competition which will see both the winner and runner up take home a cash prize of £2014.

In addition to this the winner will work with Dundee games development firm 4J Studios to transform their concept into a working game.

The game will then appear free-to-play on the official Glasgow 2014 website.

To enter the competition students must come up with a digital game concept which aligns with the ideals of the Commonwealth Games Federation – humanity, destiny and equality – and the Glasgow 2014 brand – living life to the full, endeavour, responsibility, stylish, genuine and fun.

Minister for Public Health and Sport Shona Robison said:

"The games development sector is a Scottish success story and a vital part of our creative industries. As a result I have no doubt that the creativity and imagination of our students will result in a game that is fitting to mark the Commonwealth Games coming to Scotland in 2014.

“This groundbreaking initiative is an opportunity for Scotland to stamp its own innovative character on the Games and reflect the success that already exists in our world renowned games sector.

“The 2014 Games will be an amazing experience for both Glasgow and Scotland. We are working hard to maximise the long term benefits and this contest will help contribute to that goal by encouraging creative talent and forging links between education and industry.â€

Glasgow 2014 Chief Executive John Scott said:

“Scotland has a exceptional computer games industry and we want it to play an important part of Glasgow 2014, starting with this competition to get students involved in creating a game to go on our website.

“I can’t wait to see the designs that are submitted and to see the winning concept go from being on paper to a reality. Glasgow 2014 is all about getting people involved from across Scotland and inspiring people to strive to do their best. I hop that this competition achieves that.â€

Studio Director at 4J Frank Arnot said:

"I am delighted that 4J Studios has been awarded the contract to develop the winning entry in the Scottish Government's Digital Game Contest and I am greatly looking forward to working together with the winning student to transform their concept into a finished product."

The judging panel will include renowned Scots game designer and entrepreneur Dave Jones who was involved in the creation of both Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto. At the launch he said:

“I am very much looking forward to judging the Scottish Government’s digital games contest which undoubtedly will see ideas to match the exciting occasion of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.â€

Background
    The competition aims to further the Government’s Commonwealth Games legacy ambitions by boosting links between Higher Education Institutions and Scotland’s world-renowned creative digital media industry. The winning game will feature on the Glasgow 2014 website and will be freely available to anyone visiting the website for information on the forthcoming Games.

Entrants must be students currently studying either full time or part time in Scottish higher Education Institutions. The competition is open to students studying any course and is not restricted to those undertaking a computer science, game or art course. The competition is open for ten weeks until midnight on 4 April 2011.

The winning game will appear free-to-play on the official Glasgow 2014 website at Home

4J won the contract through the Public Contracts Scotland Portal’s open procedure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.