1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion: Removal of Forum Games Points

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by quinn, Mar 5, 2011.

Should Forum Games give points?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2011.
  1. Of course!

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No way!

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Don't really care. @.@

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    First they don't "contribute enough" for you no they're just spam? There are plenty of no-spam posts in Forum Games.

Not really, before we had any forum games here the activity was pretty much the same as it is now.. Then one forum game was created, then another, then another, then we had like 4-5 and that's when the head ogre decided to give it its own section. That's why I'm worried, if forum games don't add that much contribution to the site as far as activity goes, then stopping giving points from them and not having anything in exchange wouldn't really affect the amount of visitors here.

2. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    The activity may have been the same but I'm definitely sure there were many more posts outside of Forum Games. That is part of the reason why I am against the section.

Forum game posts don't contribute AT ALL to someone looking at the site to see news and discussions on MMOs.

And we definitely had WAY LESS Forum Games before it had it's own section.

3. Adrian

Adrian Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Personally I think the points should stay for the forum games section, on the other hand. I think the number of points that you get for posting in that section should be lowered (its at 2 now I think) to a 0.5 points per post in that section.

4. quinn

Credit:
    This is exactly what Ogreman suggested but it is not currently possible at this time with the current plugin to change point values for specific forums.

5. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I agree with both of these, it sucks that the plugin doesn't support that.

6. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I agree with all of Catica's points. Forum games are mostly (not entirely, mind you, but mustly) spam and useless posting that contributes nothing to the site as a whole. I admit that I was somewhat of a forum game spammer when I first came to GO, but now I pretty much want to smack myself upside the head for wasting so much of my time in such a pointless section. Yes, they can be entertaining, but people shouldn't be getting UGCs for, as quinn said, simply posting a number. I'd totally support the lowered points value for forum game posts if it was supported. Shame the plugin doesn't do that. :(

For now, I say that forum games should not give points. As things stand now, it's like giving an incentive to spam.

7. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    As I have told Quinn in chat, playing forum games and wanting points is fine. However, I just wish it was not the only thing that people do to get points. Discussing games, participating in events, and tournaments are other more helpful ways to get points. In fact, we started a new medal for this very reason. http://www.gameogre.com/forums/mmo-requests/14055-mmo-game-talker.html

We also have the Triple Triad game that gives Ogre Coins and could eventually tie into regular points. Cat suggested that we should try to find ways to give points for Ogre Wars and the arcade. That is something that we could do soon:).

What will do about forum games? For the moment, nothing regarding actually points. Some threads could be closed down, but removing points or even reducing points could be very messy. The biggest problem is that the system removes all the points ever gotten from that feature.That means a great deal of people would have negative points.

The best thing that I can suggest is to enjoy the other areas of the site and not rely fully on forum games. If we can't find a way to stop earning points for forum games on a certain day, we will look into adding more points to more productive areas of the site:).

8. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Suggestion- why not have it so that "x" amount of posts are required to post in forum games. That way some of the newer members that try to spam there will be banned quickly as we will see what kind of person they are prior to them posting there. Plus it encourages activity for newbies at the main areas of the site. You could have it that you need to have at least 50 posts and been a member for at least 2 weeks before being able to post in forum games. Certainly couldn't hurt in reducing spam.

9. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I agree with this.
    Make it so you have to be an Ogre Reg. to play forum games. That will make it so their posts have some sort of quality to them -.- I mean is it really that hard to post elsewhere?

10. Rageaholic

Rageaholic Epic Llama Farmer The Pit

Credit:
    Yes. Just yes :D

11. funnygamer

funnygamer Clubbed

Credit:
    I guess I'm going to side with Lions and disagree with Quinn, primarily because I believe that forum games do contribute to GameOgre.

First of all, there are requirements which are too high to achieve without participating in a forum game. When I joined, I actively post in different threads, yet I only get a few posts, which hindered me from becoming an ogre regular (which requires 200 posts). One guy suggested the forum games, and that's when I started to get active in the games, and so I was able to become a regular faster. So the first purpose is that it helps people who want to be considered active.

Secondly, it provides entertainment and gives a reason for people to come to the site. I can expound this but it's gonna be long so I'll just say that I'm sure you know that whatever drives traffic towards your site will help your site.

Given this, I would just like to suggest a few things. Reducing the points given by forum games would be good, if it's possible. But since it's not possible as of the moment, maybe some other alternatives can be done. As what others have mentioned, we can limit it to like 5-8 forum games. This way, posts will be limited somewhat because there are only a few games available. Or, you can forcefully limit an account to 5 forum game posts per day. Anything in excess, the player cannot post anymore, or points will no longer be given.

I believe that completely removing the point system for forum games can negatively affect the site since it will get less traffic and less interaction.

Edit: lol what an idiot. I clicked no way. My vote should go to of course. Can someone change my vote for me please? Thanks!

12. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    FunnyGamer, I don't think points will be removed no matter what the vote is.

13. Krew

Credit:
    #1 - Forum Games do not contribute -.- They do not in anyway make this a better site, with better info.
    #2 - You could still play forum games they just wouldn't be worth points... is that so bad? No

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Hmmm, it will be looked into:).

15. quinn

Credit:
    Please see my post count. ~10 of those 3k+ posts were in forum games. It is hardly IMPOSSIBLE to get 200 posts in a short period of time w/o using forum games.

16. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I feel like a freakin' genius. :D

17. Krew

Credit:
    Look at how long it took me...

18. quinn

Credit:
    You aren't online as much as me :p

19. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I can see some potential problems with that, but it's better than nothing, I suppose.

[funnygamer, I accidentally clicked "of course," so I guess our votes even out. ;)]

20. Krew

Credit:
    You have been here 1 year longer than me :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.