1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Team Fortress 2 vs. Borderlands

Discussion in 'Online Game Battles' started by ogreman, May 22, 2010.

Which Online Shooter is better?

1. Team Fortress 2

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Borderlands

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    This is the third match of the second round in Online Shooter Showdown. Voting for this match will end on May 29nd, 2010 at 12:01 AM Central.

Unlike the MMORPG Showdowns, voting in this thread will have a large say in determining the winning game because each review score in the Review Directory will be multiplied by the percentage of votes received here. For example, a game that had a 9 in the Review Directory and won all of the votes here would have an overall score of 9. If a game had a 9 in the review directory but tied here, that game would have an overall score of 4.5 because it only won 50% of the vote. In the event of an overall tie, voting will be determined via comments.

vs.

Borderlands

[​IMG]

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    This match is now underway:).

3. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Borderlands all the way! I defy anybody to name a game with a better single player:p.

4. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Bioshock, Half-Life, Fallout 3 (which Borderlands' gameplay is heavily based on). But that's besides the point.

I'm really not sure, but Borderlands has some really addictive gameplay, and lasts a VERY long time, plus, if I had choose between co-op or multiplayer combat, I'd probably choose co-op.

5. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I smell a blowout:p. Since my first pick has been eliminated, I have to go with Borderlands.

6. Joker

Credit:
    Borderlands all the way. .....Has any game been shut out yet?

7. Joker

Credit:
    Borderlands > TF2

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Hmmm, a few games may have been shut out, but it does not happen often.

9. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    This is proving very one sided...

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yes, last week's match was much closer.

11. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I doubt TF2 can come back:p.

12. DarkJedi

DarkJedi DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    I'll go for borderlands.. I like the graphics 'coz it's very unique, the game play, story line and the uniqueness of the game itself..

13. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Team Fortress 2 is good but when stacked up against Borderlands it's no match.

14. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    btw guys, has anyone here played both before? If so, which one feels like the better shooter? And when I say better shooter, I mean which one feels more fun to shoot guns with, or shoot stuff with? Just ignoring everything else the games have for a moment.

15. Joker

Credit:
    I meant games in this tournament:D.

16. TSamee

TSamee BamBam

Credit:
    Weird...

Has anybody here actually played TF2? Sure, Borderlands' RPG elements are addictive, but the shooter side of things is slightly disappointing. It seems like a strange thing to say, but without the levelling and loot, Borderlands' shooter mechanics on their own just aren't any fun. Bit like Halo, with iron sights. I know I'm fighting a losing battle here, but TF2 deserves to win for a ton of reasons.

1) It's a better shooter. Period. The shooting in TF2 > The shooting in Borderlands. In TF, you're fighting real people online, and need skill to do so. You feel bloody unbelievable when you're good at it. Borderlands has dodgy hitboxes at long range, braindead AI and only manages to be challenging when you're completely outgunned on all angles.

These days, people brag about their MW killstreaks and how awesome they are. Well, I've gotten nukes, I've cleared all of the Borderlands Underdome challenges, and the feeling those things give you is absolutely nothing compared to getting a 20+ killstreak as a sniper in TF, or stabbing eight people as a Spy within fifteen seconds.

2) It's gotten buckets of free content. Borderlands got three DLC packs, one of which was vanilla at best (The Underdome). TF's gotten at least nine new maps, two new game modes, and unlockable weapons for almost every class.

3) It's never, ever boring. In Borderlands, when you're doing a braindead fetch quest, it's only the promise of loot and XP that keeps you going, not the gameplay or the mission. In TF, there's no hook to keep you playing besides the gameplay itself. Sure, unlockables are great, but there's no pressure to get them. You're not dead meat if you don't have the latest bit of gear; you're not even at a disadvantage; the game's that well-balanced. The only thing that's made me clock up over 150 hours on Team Fortress (and I haven't played it in the last four months; haven't got round to downloading it yet) is the gameplay. The satisfying "bang" of a shotgun as it blows someone's face off, the noise a sentry makes when it's racking up kill upon kill, the feeling you get blasting the entire enemy team to bits with a grenade launcher. TF took just under ten years to make, and the result is a beautifully-balanced game that never, ever gets old. Sorry guys, but, in my mind, Borderlands will never be able to touch TF2.

Oh, and if you like singleplayer, go play Deus Ex, Fallout or Half Life 2. All of them beat Borderlands, and Deus Ex is ten years old.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
  17. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Tsamee! I wondered why you didn't post on the forums!

And one question:

Are you saying that because Borderlands uses loot/exp and exploration as reasons for a player to keep playing, it doesn't count as gameplay? Or somehow, these reasons aren't as good as the reasons for playing TF2, such as blowing someone's head off? Gamers are supposed to disguise this visceral urge, so the media doesn't hound us... Shh!!!

Not only that but:

You're saying that because TF2 got 'nine new maps, two new game modes, and unlockable weapons for almost every class', that makes TF2 better than Borderlands, which only got three DLCs. Well, that seems rather irrelevant to me, because:
    A. Borderlands is a MASSIVE GAME, it by itself probably already has more area to roam around in than all of TF2's maps combined.
    B. TF2's game content and how long it lasts depends entirely on when the average player has played all the maps multiple times, all the classes multiple times (which will take a long time), and THEN has gotten bored of it. If the player happens to, like many, stay on, then they're on TF2 indefinitely. However, the average player on Borderlands would probably get through the campaign (which, again, would take a long, long time, possibly longer than playing all of TF2), then either quit, or play the DLC, or play the campaign in co-op with a friend. Therefore, TF2's game content is rather irrelevant, because it just depends on whether the player likes it so much they'd stay on forever.

Your first point is about how much fun it is to do some really skilful move. However, you forget that there's the 'fun' you get from doing skilful moves, and the constant 'FUN' you get from playing a game you enjoy. Surely the latter one is the preferable 'fun'? Both TF2 and Borderlands should offer these 'fun', but it just seems to me that Borderlands could offer it more consistently (until you FINALLY finish the campaign and all the DLCs) than TF2 can. Everyone has a bad game once in a while, that wouldn't feel 'fun' at all. And I'm sure even a pubstar wouldn't be able to perform really skilful moves all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
  18. TSamee

TSamee BamBam

Credit:
    @awesomedrako
    Well, all I can say is you're right. I wrote the last post in five minutes, purely out of annoyance that a game I love so much is losing so badly. So yeah, my argument's flawed as anything :)

At the end of the day, it's all about which one's fun for the longest, and, while I do have the occasional bad match, TF is just much more fun to play (to me at least) than Borderlands, post-campaign.

I feel that TF has more potential for longevity, as it's a purely multiplayer game, and has been designed to be played for an indefinite amount of time, whereas Borderlands has one campaign which can be repeated up to eight times (2 playthroughs per character, four characters). Still, in the end it all boils down to opinion. Drako, if you haven't done so already, try TF out and tell me what you think.

Oh, and on the whole "content" argument, I completely screwed up the argument there. I meant to say that Borderlands has followed the convention of making us pay about $15 (1200 MS points) for each piece of DLC, whereas all of TF's has been completely free. Also, TF still has new content coming out almost three years on. Borderlands hasn't been around long enough to tell how much support it'll recieve in the coming months, but games, multiplayer or not, rarely get streams of new, free content for that long.

My personal opinion is that TF2's the superior shooter by leaps and bounds, but, then again, the community obviously feels different. You win this year :)

19. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    It is good to see you on the forum, TSamee:). Yes, it is a shame that Team Fortress 2 is losing so badly. Not only has TF2 won awards on GameOgre.com in the past, but it remains one of the best online shooters ever.

20. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    imo Team Fortress 2 isn't losing vary badly, by the numbers this match is actually really close, in the Directory Voting almost all the votes go 8-9 for Team Fortress 2, 9-10 for Borderlands, which shows Borderlands is just barely edging out Team Fortress 2 for forum votes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.