1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Team Fortress 2 vs. Borderlands

Discussion in 'Online Game Battles' started by ogreman, May 22, 2010.

Which Online Shooter is better?

1. Team Fortress 2

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Borderlands

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Yes, it would be much closer if we used only the review voting like the MMORPG Showdowns.

2. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I voted borderlands :D

3. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Borderlands is a different breed of shooter so it is hard to compare with TF2.

4. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Good points, good points. Just what I expect from a long-winded person, just like me :).

Your last point about the content thing is good though. You know that some companies now deliberately make DLC during main game making stage, then release that DLC after the game is released? Their way of making more money (after all, modern games require a lot of work), but in a ridiculous way! If they made it during the main game making stage, it really should be on the disc at launch! I don't think Borderlands does this, but still...

5. TSamee

TSamee BamBam

Credit:
    They announced the Island of Dr. Ned before Borderlands came out actually XD. Still, I don't know if it was in production before the game released.

The shift to media being distributed digitally is inevitable (though I wish it weren't), so I can't really argue against large amounts of DLC being produced for games.

Still, I really hate the direction EA's taking with its more recent games, giving them a code to join some kind of 'free DLC club' which contains a load of stuff available from launch and all that. It's just a way to discourage used game sales, as the codes are one-time use only, and I feel it's unfair on the consumer. It wouldn't be like that if all of it was quality free DLC, but, frankly, it's not. Some of them, such as the Shale character (released at launch) for Dragon Age, are awesome. Shale actually impacted my game, she had loads of unique dialogue, she had her own personality and she was a great tank. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there're things like Mass Effect 2's weapon pack, which adds a new shotgun and a new, non-customisable armour suit.

All of the DLC in these services occupies a sort of space between Oblivion's horse armour and Borderlands' General Knox/GTAIV's Episodes, so that a few high-quality launch DLCs pressure the used game buyer to pay for a code for the service, and then no DLC of similar quality comes out, only things like weapon packs.

And even this would be okay, if all DLC for the game was included in the service for free. But a lot of the good stuff, like Dragon Age's Warden's Keep, and the Kasumi- Stolen Memories DLC for Mass Effect 2 (she has no dialogue after the mission, so this isn't too great either) costs money as well. They're squeezing us, and we're going along with it...

6. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    All this is unfortunate, but the companies are making sales out of it; they've got us by the collar. I don't think they'll let go any time soon. For now, we'll just have to live with DLC.

7. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    borderlands for me...coop play and awesome loot.

8. TSamee

TSamee BamBam

Credit:
    Yeah... just hope they don't keep this up with future ME2 DLC, or ME3. Shale was fully factored into the game, dialogue, loyalty and all. ME2's new characters have one high quality mission, and that's it. Zaeed seems like a badass at first, and then you realise that, after the one mission you get specific to him (you get his loyalty mission upon meeting him), that he's no longer got any soul because BioWare didn't care to give him one. As far as good RPG DLC goes, the devs can name their price. But it's got to be good.

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    This match is over. Results will be posted later today.

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
  11. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    This is the the great definition of the term, 'wipe out', that I have ever seen:

Team Fortress 2 received a review score of 8 and 7.14% of the forum voting for a total score of .57.

Borderlands received a review score of 8.57 and 92.86% forum voting for a total score of 7.96.

12. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yes, this is the last time we will use this exact method of voting.

13. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    WTG Borderlands!

14. jjk1111

jjk1111 Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Yes, last week's match was much closer.

15. ice grim reaper

ice grim reaper Brute

Credit:
    Weird that TF2 didn't win even though it was rated 8 in the review directory.

16. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Lost in a land slide. Still, borderlands sound more like something I would like than TF2 does.

17. mistral

mistral Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Borderlands for ever.. dam i spend so many time in that game xD i love it

18. tianhui

tianhui Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Interesting match- I've played both games extensively but It's hard to choose because the the different gameplay. TF is more of an arcade pvp shooter- while borderlands in mainly co-op pve MMOFPSRPG.

19. Slinkster

Slinkster Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Im going to buy either borderlands or team fortress 2 which one should i get

20. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    It gets boring real fast for me and my buds...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.