1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

The Future of the Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Video Games and Consoles' started by Snowy, Jan 2, 2018.

1. What do you think about the future of the Nintendo Switch? Do you think it'll be popular, or do you think it'll end up like the Wii U? So far, we've seen this console become successful.

For me, I think the Nintendo Switch will continue to grow as more games, including third-party games, get added to the Nintendo Switch. I even think that if the 3DS is finished, more focus will be shifted towards the Nintendo Switch and there would be more demand for the Switch. If previous handheld exclusive titles like Pokémon reach the Nintendo Switch, and Wii U exclusive games like Super Mario Maker get ported to the Nintendo Switch, who knows how many new players that would attract? I think the Nintendo Switch would be able to compete with other consoles like the Xbox One and the PS4 not far from now.

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Switch's future is very bright, it's selling like crazy and seems to only be speeding up. It's launch year has a fantastic selection of games and if Nintendo can repeat for year 2 I don't see any reason sales will slow. The crazy thing is while Nintendo has released a few heavy hitters already, they still got some real giants in the wings like Smash and Pokemon. Both should push a lot of units an that's not even considering all the other IPs they have like Metroid, Animal Crossing etc.

Switch is not without it's faults, the storage issue is real especially in relation to big 3rd party titles. They need a lot of space and neither the Switch's internal space nor it's game cards are completely up to the job, leaving the burden on consumers to get bigger SD cards and playing tetris with their storage space. An it's raw hardware strength will struggle to keep up with big games released next year and beyond, I don't think we'll see titles like Red Dead 2... it's just too far out of reach imo. The sales numbers will be incentive to try though!

That said, it still has and should continue to get solid 3rd party support. Anything that's not massive in scope like say a Red Dead 2 should make it over fine. An beyond that it's got Nintendo, who continually put out some of the best game in the industry. Not to mention with it's sales numbers we'll likely see more Switch specific games from 3rd parties as well. So yea, I think the future is very bright. I bought in day 1 and have been very happy with it!

CanineAQ3D likes this.
  3. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Probably not going to make a really long post, but I'll just summarize how I feel about the Switch. It's good. It really is. With portability, innovative technology, and some good games and ports, the Switch has a bright future. It's selling rapidly. It's much better than the Wii U for sure. If they just made a few more crucial ports they'd be fine. Nintendo is a fine company. They put out good games rapid fire. But, they really need to make a 2D Mario game for the Switch; as far as I know, they haven't made one. I saw some Mario games (2D) for the Switch but they were just the titles on Google. Nothing real. All in all, the Switch has taken off, but it may be making a landing soon. A landing on Planet BOOM. Sure, the Switch has done good. But, if we've learned anything from the past, not all amazing console games come out less than a year after the initial release of a console.
    Wow, that WAS long. :p

Maybe I should delete the first sentence or something.
    Whatever.

4. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    It's great! I just don't have the cash for one atm, ugh and I already need a new pc. It worries me though that my 3DS might become obsolete when it no longer gets exclusive games like my pokemon games :( Better start saving I guess, the world of gaming is becoming increasingly more expensive to be a part of.

5. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Yeah, unfortunately, it's very very likely 3DS has seen it's last Pokemon game. It's had a great run though, 7 years and counting. Nintendo is releasing a few new games for it this year too. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo does a dedicated handheld again.