1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on improving writing?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by ugmsrocks09, Jul 29, 2017.

1. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    I'm currently learning what I should've learned long before fixing grammatical errors and such. I'm not too great of a writer, however I'm willing to be one. I would like to know a tips on improving writing.

2. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    A way to improve is to improve posture. Another way is to get a chair that suits your needs.

3. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I look at resources like Purdue OWL for MLA/APA formatting, academic writing, grammar, etc., read literary works and scholarly papers to get an understanding about structure, grammar, spelling, etc., and use Google to search for any uncertainties.

You can also start by writing a rough draft, have someone such as a professor (or classmates) proofread your draft, and then finalize your draft into a finished paper by revising your rough draft.

ugmsrocks09 likes this.
  4. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    "The extreme tends to make an impression."

5. LegendaryGriefer36

LegendaryGriefer36 Ogre Prince The Pit
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    Watch youtube videos about it :p

6. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I've found other tips to improve writing, aside from using resources. For instance, just crack open a book or open an article and read some passages to understand the flow of sentences; sometimes you can create a template for what to write about just by examining what you read. Another tip is to speak aloud and write based on how you string the words you say together; you'll recognize certain behaviors like parts where you pause (which could indicate the need for a comma) and areas that could use a better flow (if the lack of transition words makes your sentences sound weak). Finally, I think the most important part about improving writing is having a good handwriting; when you take your time to write things out, especially legibly, you think about each character you write and put more thought into your own writing, whereas typing just eliminates some of the thinking.