1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Warrock Trojan!

Discussion in 'MMOFPS and Online Shooters' started by ScareCrow, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Well I just downloaded warrock, and my AVG tells me it's a trojan. I got rid of it fast but just be weary.

Also I think it should be removed from shooter battle.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Hate to hear that man, but we are not going to start removing games from tournaments. Anything listed in the first post of http://www.gameogre.com/forums/online-game-battles/1743-online-shooter-showdown.html is confirmed.

Besides, this game has been around for years. It's not like its a brand new game that was intended to be a virus.

However, feel free to blast the game when voting comes up or talk about it here.

3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Couple things, virus programs do have false alarms sometimes so it is possible that it wasn't a trojan... also you can download Warrock from many sites, so just because one has a virus doesn't mean all of them do.

4. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Yeah. I suggest downloading it from Download.com. Also, AVG likes to catch programs that utilize something in your computer to make it work. Doesn't mean it has a trojan.

5. Aaddron

Credit:
  6. ScareCrow

Credit:
    I downloaded from the official site, I have since scanned it on another computer with norton an says it's a Trojan.

And why should a game be in a battle when it gives you have virus?

7. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Warrock didn't give me a virus.

8. ScareCrow

Credit:
  9. Aaddron

Credit:
    I'll quote ogreman on this one: "Besides, this game has been around for years. It's not like its a brand new game that was intended to be a virus."

I agree with that reasoning 100% maybe that client has a virus maybe it doesn't. I've never had a problem with it in the past and judging how a virus can get anywhere it most likely not intentionally done by the developers.

10. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    Norton has been notorious for false positives, as is AVG.

Many games have been known to be falsely detected to have trojans, like Maplestory. Apparently it's something with the anti-cheat protection scanning your computer for cheats while your playing that sets the antivirus off.

Don't get hasty. ;)

11. chakan

chakan Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Right, there is no way a corporation would give us a trojan, they just dont do it, they are just that good :policeman:, they would never give u something to spy your shit, in fact they never tried, they would never try to collect information from your pc, that is just ludicrous!

:book:
    I have a completely blind fate in corporations, that is how much i trust them :rolleyes:

Besides, they are not motived by money, they just want to make us happy, i love them:D

false positives? everything is false, dont believe them, use and abuse it, because we all know how much those corporation love us and want to make us happy, also i belive that every single false positives are a plot from the antivirus to "delete" our happiness.

hohoho
    :santa:
    Merry Xmas Everyone!

12. anduter

anduter Ogre Newling

Credit:
    i got it too

I didn't play War Rock for few weeks. and tried to play today, it's got an update, then my AVG alerted, that Warrock.exe has a trojan. Tried to restart - same sh*t. It is something they add recently. Don't want to take any chances. I'll wait till they clear this out.

13. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    If you are getting the game from a professional gaming company, the chances that the game has any sort of virus is slim to none. Chances are high that your antivirus software is overly "sensitive" and is catching a virus that isn't really there. AVG and a few other antivirus software are known to act like this. This is why it is oftentimes recommended to turn your antivirus software off while playing unless you are experienced with it. I'm using Avira free antivirus on my netbook and Kaspersky Internet Security on my desktop :) Never any problems.

14. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Well done anduter for reviving a year old thread.

War Rock isn't a good game, but it's no virus, definitely. AVG has a lot of false positives, Avira has some, I'm not sure about Avast, and MSSE has slim to none. Norton has gotten a lot better over the years, but I don't know about the false positive rates. Kaspersky and NOD32 should also have slim to no false positives.

You are right about turning off your antivirus airgamer, except I don't with mine, cos i use Panda Cloud, which barely uses any resources at all, and doesn't give many false positives (it seems to do it with Free Realms slightly though...).

It's been ages since this topic was first started, but I definitely wouldn't recommend AVG anymore, either get Avira, Avast, or MSSE. MSSE is a very solid choice.

15. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Norton has tons of false positives. If I hadn't received it free I wouldn't be using it now. Switching to Kaspersky soon, best AV out there.

16. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    You got Norton free? I think the free versions and any versions that come with a machine aren't the full versions. According to AV-Comparatives though, Norton has around the same amount of false positives as Avira; a fair amount. Kaspersky has less, but Bitdefender, NOD32, and MSSE are among the ones with the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.