1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about Minecraft speedrunning?

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Snowy, May 6, 2021.

1. Speedrunning is a type of gameplay where the player completes the game as quickly as possible, usually in some category (example: any% (glitches allowed), any% glitchless, 100% completion, etc.). Games that have been quite dominant in the speedrunning community have been Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but Minecraft has had significance prominence in the speedrunning community in the recent years.

What do you think about Minecraft speedrunning?

---

For me, in the past, I've always been a bit skeptical about it, since the game was always dependent on hardware performance (how powerful your PC was, rather than being dependent on some specific console) and it was always the kind of game that was easy to cheat (edit the amount of loot that drops or the chance of the drop, mod the game, etc.), but the more modern versions of Minecraft seem to be a lot better and the Minecraft speedrunning community has stringent rules to ensure integrity.

For instance, the loading screen when generating a seed is unique, so people verifying speedruns can check for any suspicious nuances. And the Minecraft community has ways of finding a seed and checking that nothing was altered in a run. Honestly, I'd say cheating a Minecraft speedrun is actually more difficult than most people would think.

But I think what makes Minecraft speedrunning better than most other speedruns is the random seed category. With other speedruns, there's usually memorization involved including muscle memory of inputs, but Minecraft speedruns encourage improvisation. And aside from that, Minecraft speedruns provide great content to watch; you already know how the outcome for other speedruns would be, but for Minecraft speedruns, the runs will always be unique.