1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about organic food and non-organic food?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Snowy, Aug 21, 2017.

Which product do you generally purchase?

1. Organic food.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Non-organic food.

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Usually I am indifferent on my food choice, but I am leaning more towards non-organic food. I find both kinds of food hard to tell the difference of in taste though.

I often hear that organic food is "natural", but I feel like that's false in many ways, because most crops have been influenced by humans, sort of like the process of artificial breeding for animals. For example, seedless fruits, the Cavendish banana, and various other fruits and food are just as artificial as non-organic food, so I don't see "natural" as a great argument from defenders of organic food. Now organic food might be healthier than non-organic food, but not more "natural".

Now I do like that companies spray pesticides in order to protect food. I wouldn't want to eat food that has been spoiled by insects, fungus, and other organisms. I do hear that pesticides can make insects more immune, so that is a downfall to non-organic food.

But my true decision-making comes down to which of the two is the cheapest, because non-organic food resists invaders, so they tend to be easier to produce in mass quantities. Thus, I prefer non-organic food slightly more than organic food.

Which one do you prefer, organic food or non-organic food?

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  2. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    I'm not too worried of foods that are GMO. I know it's not too beneficial for the environment yet I find it efficient for food production.

3. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I don't have any preference.

4. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Im not conscious with my diet also. Maybe I should tho

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  5. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ah i don't know. if the food is super hot or super icy is one way of how i think i like it,and something kind of relating to this i know boiling water from a river makes it drinkable and cooking/baking/freezing things can kill germs

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  6. Blasphy

Blasphy Emperor Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    I prefer organic. Health is wealth and organic foods have fewer pesticides and no antibiotics , growth hormones and fed animal products.

7. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i buy both, organic berries and boxed/canned foods

8. Stroik

Stroik Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I don't really care. I know organic is probably better for me but I just find it rather annoying due to the people shoving it in my face and I cbf to care.

9. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I think the biggest problem with "organic" is that it's mostly just marketing. Organic food tends to be marketed as "fresher, better, etc." and tends to cost more, but the difference between organic and inorganic for both taste and health is usually so minute that you wouldn't notice a whole lot of difference.

And depending on how scientists define "organic" which I personally think is a loose term, there are also other problems that arise; without certain plant hormones (e.g. auxin, ethylene gas, gibberellins, etc.), you get less yield or other things. For instance, gibberellins in addition to auxins, when applied to grapes, allow for more aggregation (biggest clusters of berries), but also inhibit seeds inside the fruit. And ethylene, when used on banana, tomatoes, and other fruits help ripen the fruits.

Other issue is crop yield due to insects. The use of pesticides in crops is probably the thing that marketers and advertisers emphasize the most; a lot of times the marketing tactic is "if pesticides are bad for insects, think about what you're ingesting" or "insects can become resistant and turn into superbugs". But personally, I'd be more concerned about the worm in my apple or the insects that have sneaked inside the food.

And besides, I think there are some good counter-arguments. To the first point about humans ingesting pesticides, it's really about the dosage. For instance, there is such thing as drinking too much water, too much alcohol, too much coffee, too much energy drinks, or eating too much of something, and it's always better to maintain moderation. When you really think about pesticides, it's a tiny dose that kills insects, but that tiny dose has little to no effect on humans.

And finally, if you're eating organic food just to be healthy (which still isn't that different from non-organic food), but you're also eating food that have way too much high-fructose corn syrup, sugar, sodium, or other things, you're really making no difference to your health. And realistically, it's hard to avoid all of those things since competition in the food industry is more about attracting the most customers rather than attracting healthy individuals, unless you actually cook your own meals. I would say that if you want to be healthy, you need to leark how to cook your own meals, because then you can control the quantity of ingredients.

10. Rizlaftw

Rizlaftw Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Normally buy non organic but my mrs makes a mean carrot cake with organic carrots an i will say the difference is amazing carrots so tastier.

11. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I think it depends more on the carrots than whether it's organic or not, sometimes even extra ingredients you use in the recipe makes a difference. And sometimes chemicals in nonorganic food can affect the flavor profile (make it taste better OR worse), but that mostly depends on the chemical itself.

Honestly, I can't distinguish carrots that I get from Whole Foods to carrots I get from anywhere else, so the main difference is just price. It could just be a difference between peeled carrots and non-peeled carrots; generally when you peel carrots yourself, it's better.

Rizlaftw likes this.
  12. Rizlaftw

Rizlaftw Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Organic carrots are more urm carrrotey aka “smell taste flavor “imo. My mrs has uses not organic before an it’s not that much of a difference but they do taste a lot better then standard carrots.