1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of LulzSec?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Kytsune, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    LulzSec is the moniker of a raucous band of Internet hackers who have set upon various corporations like Sony, Nintendo, Epic Games, and even potentially Bethesda Softworks (developer of Morrowind and Skyrim.) They’ve even deliberately picked a fight with the United States FBI and NATO.

The rampage of these Internet highwaymen has caused a particular amount of consternation in the gaming industry (and the security community) as they roll unchecked through numerous website properties held by these different companies and pillage their databases for passwords and user secrets (like names, credit card information, and the like.)

They’re not responsible for the shutdown of the PlayStation Network; but they did capitalize on it when they hacked into one of Sony’s properties earlier this month.

As their targets are mostly gaming industry fat cats, it seems that they may eventually set their sights on the MMO community—although possibly only by way of bigger players.

Have you been keeping track of what they’re up to? Have any opinion on the matter? :)

2. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    never heard of them but i would love those guys to teach blizzard a lesion :)

they became to arrogant over the past few years, they forgot that that their players are alive beings and not just moneybags...

3. Kytsune

Credit:
    Is it the sparkle pony or the lion-with-flaming-wings that turned you against Blizzard? :D

4. Supernatural

Credit:
    hehe, no, i dont care about those mounts, it's just that their customer support and the way they threat they players is awful

a friend was in US few weeks ago and bought a game card with 60 days playtime, which was allot cheaper then in our country due do taxes
    and when he came home the game card wasn't working due so some rule that game codes from US don't work on Eu server, so he contacted support and they are asking him to take picture of the game card and the receipt from the store, which he trow away as soon as he left the store [it's a national custom hehe]
    and now they wont value his gamecard only because he didn't save the receipt...

i call that pretty bad customer support and they don't show any respect to their players, they treat him like he stole the gamecard lol

5. Kytsune

Credit:
    Wow, that is terrible customer support. It's not exactly their call if he stole it or not -- they already have the money for selling the card to the store. I suppose that they just don't want to spend the money in every case to verify; proper customer service would be to just give it to him, warn him that it may not work so well in the future, and go from there.

I usually like Blizzard, but I've never had to deal with their customer support. :knife:

6. Supernatural

Credit:
    US game cards used to work on Europe servers but they changed that when cataclysm came i think, and he didn't know that so he bought the card normally, and when he came come it didn't worked.

luckily he has a friend in the US which will buy another card and they will exchange the codes so he will be able to use it with the picture of the new receipt, but i mean he gave the money for that thing, 40$, and yet they treat him like a thief even if everything is legal.....

7. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Ah, so they have a name now?

I could really care less. The only people they are targeting are big companies who SHOULD be able to handle it.Yes, I don't think it's right to do it, but it doesn't really personally affect me, and in the giant scheme of things isn't really ruining anyone's lives, if you know what I mean.

8. Supernatural

Credit:
    I also hope they will hack Nexon [if they actually can hack any1 :)], they have been terrorising Europe for more the 2 years :)

9. Rageaholic

Rageaholic Epic Llama Farmer The Pit

Credit:
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Yer, give Nexon a lesson...

10. Kytsune

Credit:
    Looks like LulzSec has finally struck the MMO community: today they took their cannons to Minecraft and EVE Online. The former was sunk within seconds and remains offline as of this post; the latter capsized under the shelling and CCP took their network offline in order to deal with the incoming fire.

By these ship metaphors, I mostly mean that LulzSec used Distributed Denial of Service attacks primarily aimed at the login servers for both of these games and overloaded them. As a result, both EVE Online and Minecraft lost their web presence as well.

Almost amid the direct targets, Escapist Magazine's website has been offline for two hours this morning as they also have experience heavy DDoS attacks from LulzSec.

Most of these have been tested after claims made on their Twitter. Pretty much they appear to be true.

Oh, and LulzSec has also hacked the U.S. Senate's website, Senate.gov.

Perhaps we will see Blizzard get struck next, Supernatural. :speechless:

11. Supernatural

Credit:
  12. Kytsune

Credit:
    It appears that they've moved onto destroy the League of Legends login servers. :(

13. Supernatural

Credit:
    that thing already isn't working

Riot is at dreamhack championship in Sweden, so there is no1 to fix this issue for more the 2 week, u can't log on into game after 6 pm :)

14. Kytsune

Credit:
    I don't care hugely for League of Legends (it's not my kind of game) but it's definitely a new and interesting evolution in the behavior of these groups. By pulling the pants down around the ankles of these gaming sites is more or less just a ploy to strike at that community.

It's certainly good for the nerd rage -- which is probably what they want.

They'll continue to rack up the headlines, no doubt.

:argue:

15. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    As long as they take user information they aren't hurting anyone but the consumers... a week of downtime and months of bad PR will barely dent these companies, stolen accounts and potentially identity theft will hurt the consumer a lot more and a lot longer, not to mention the consumer is effected by the downtime from the attack too.

16. Kytsune

Credit:
    Very true, Aaddron, consumers as a group have relatively short memories when it comes to the rickety security of the services that they use. Especially when it's essentially a monopoly on a specific product -- for example, Sony is the only one who does what Sony does (no other PlayStation Network) and jumping ship to Xbox Live is a cultural change.

As a result, Sony lost a lot of money from their network breach and shutdown; but the people who stayed on board will probably not really change their habits much.

Well, that's how the results will pan out from LulzSec hacking and releasing user secrets from random websites with lax security. Hopefully it will convince lots of sites on the Internet to bulk up their firewalls and check their code. Especially Senate.gov and corps who work alongside the FBI.

However, DDoSing random gaming companies into oblivion -- like Minecraft and EVE Online -- I don't see forwarding that sort of "at least."

Today felt like a lot of juvenile headline grabbing and it really showed off the raw edges of their capabilities with the botnet they have access to. :smartass:

17. Supernatural

Credit:
    I don't really like that they r picking up on Riot [Developers of LoL] they made a great game, have a great customer support and every time the game isn't working they give a bit of premium ingame currency to players as compensacion.
    They even have a youtube show devoted to fans called Summoner Showcase, where they promote their creations ...

18. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Do you know where they are "based" and who runs it? Like his Alias?

19. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Hmm, I haven't heard about these guys until today. Honestly, if they ever get caught, they're totally screwed, especially after attacking government sites.

Are they actually doing serious harm, or are they just thumbing their noses at the big companies? Either way I don't think it's right, but if they're just goofing off, it's not as bad as if they were pulling something like the original PSN user-info hack.

20. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    If you go to their site they state they are just having fun and "finding security exploits" and it helps the companies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.