1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What if you never played MMORPG? (A Beginner's Review of Dragon Oath)

Discussion in 'Free MMORPG' started by ogreman, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    What would be your first MMORPG if you never played the genre?

A Beginner's Review of Dragon Oath

Our forum volunteer Jason is probably like many of you, who used to be familiar with video games only and just recently picked up MMOs. He brought his this insight of Dragon Oath, the Free-to-Play Martial Arts Fantasy MMORPG, his first experience of the genre.

First Impressions:

For someone who has never experienced an MMORPG before, Dragon Oath was a great way to get acquainted. To be fair, the sheer size of the game at first seemed daunting, and all of the different controls, character attributes, areas to travel, and items to use were very intimidating. For a beginner like me, it was hard to get used to the interface and the different combinations of weapons/items that I could get. One thing that frustrated me in the beginning was the maximum capacity of the inventory, which made me learn how to drop items very early on. Now, all difficulties aside, it is very rewarding to accomplish a quest or learn a new skill, and this makes me feel like the learning curve is totally worth it. The MMORPG game definitely requires a bit of effort on the part of the gamer to learn its basic
    gameplay, but it is very addicting, as is the case with Dragon Oath.

Graphics:

Overall, the graphics of the game reminded me of the good times I had playing console video games such as Nintendo 64 and Playstation 2. I enjoy the bright colors and the player models are very good. Also, I haven't found any glitches yet and the game runs very smoothly. I also like the ability to tilt the camera in many angles and zoom in on the action.

Gameplay:

The game has so many options that there is really nothing you can't do. The most important thing to me has been the Auto-Pathing system, which saves time and allows you to send your character to a distant area and minimize the screen. I also like being able to click on the coordinates of the Quest to go directly to it. The controls are also nice and simple when it comes to the important stuff, like fighting enemies. I think battles at higher levels will probably be more interesting because there will be more options of attacks that I can choose from.

Overall:

Dragon Oath is a fun MMORPG and despite its huge array of gameplay options, is very friendly to beginning MMORPG players. The things I appreciate about the game are its ease of navigation, huge amounts of quests, and the variety of different character types you can be. I haven't played enough to interact with other human players, but I imagine that's where the game's real fun lies. Dragon Oath does a great job of getting players into the world and making them want to stay for more.

2. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Hmmm, this is a great idea, to write reviews from a beginners point of view.

I have to admit that lots of games are not newbie friendly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.