1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

what type of gamer are you?

Discussion in 'Classic Games' started by KuroTsuna, Mar 4, 2012.

What type gamer are you?

1. Casual gamer

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Mid-core gamer

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. Hardcore gamer

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  4. Pro-gamer

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. Newbie

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Retrogamer

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Girl gamer

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. ***mer

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. KuroTsuna

KuroTsuna Looooong Goooone

Credit:
    I'm a Mid-core gamer. What are type are you?

Casual gamer

a player whose time or interest in playing games is limited. Casual gamers tend to play games designed for ease of gameplay and don't spend much time playing more involved games. The genres that casual gamers play vary, and they might not own a specific video game console to play their games.[4][5] Casual gaming demographics vary greatly from those of traditional video games, as the typical casual gamer is older and more predominantly female.[6] One casual gamer subset is the "fitness gamer", who plays motion-based exercise games.[7]

Mid-core gamer

A core or mid-core gamer is a player with a wide range of interests and enthusiast toward creative and diverse games,[8] but without the amount of time spent and sense of competition of a hardcore gamer. The mid-core gamer enjoys complex games but won't buy every novel release, doesn't have time for long games,[9] and is a target consumer [10] that needs features not found in games for the other types. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata stated that they designed the Wii U to cater to a core gamer who is between the casual and hard-core categories.[11]

Hardcore gamer

Hardcore gamers prefer to take significant time and practice on games, and tend to play more involved games that require larger amounts of time to complete or master. Hardcore gamers may take part in video game culture.[further explanation needed] Competition is another defining characteristic of hardcore gamers, who often compete in organized tournaments, leagues, or ranked play integrated into the game proper. There are many subtypes of hardcore gamers based on the style of game, gameplay preference, hardware platform, and other preferences.

Pro-gamer

Professional gamers play video games for money.[12] Whether a professional gamer is a subtype of the hardcore gamer largely depends on the degree to which a professional gamer is financially dependent upon the income derived from gaming. So far as a professional gamer is financially dependent upon gaming, the time spent playing is no longer "leisure" time. In countries of Asia, particularly South Korea and Japan, professional gamers are sponsored by large companies and can earn more than $100,000USD a year, in addition to the following that some obtain.[13] In the United States, Major League Gaming has contracted Electronic Sports Gamers with $250,000USD yearly deals.[14]

Newbie, or "noob", is a slang term for a novice or newcomer to a certain game, or to gaming in general.[15][16] It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgment. Two derived terms are "newb", a beginner who is willing to learn; and "noob", a derogatory name (an alternate spelling for n00b), though "newb" and "n00b" have become opposites of each other, meaning "newb" is plainly someone who is new to the game (thus having the potential to get better) and "n00b" is a player who both lacks skill and mainly fools around (not wanting to become better).

Retrogamer

A retrogamer is a gamer preferring playing and collecting retro games - older video games and arcade games. The term retrogamer is used mostly in the United Kingdom and Europe, while the terms classic gamer, or old-school gamer are more prevalent in the United States. The games are played either on the original hardware, on modern hardware via console emulation, or on modern hardware via ports or compilations.[17] Some retrogamers are in the business of refurbishing old games, particularly arcade cabinets. Some even make their own arcade cabinets.

Girl gamer

A girl gamer is any female who regularly engages in playing video games. According to a study conducted by the Entertainment Software Association in 2009, 40% of the game playing population is female, and women 18 or older now comprise 34% of all gamers. Also, the percentage of women now playing online has risen to 43%, up 4% from 2004. The same study shows that 48% of game purchasers are female.[18][19]
    mer

Copy/pasted from wiki.

EDIT: IGNORE LAST OPTION (TYPO)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
  2. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Personally I dont think "girl gamer" should have its own title. What difference does it make. I would much rather be classified at a hardcore or pro gamer than as a girl gamer.

3. Mordekaiser

Mordekaiser Dealer of Death Ogre Veteran

Credit:
  4. Thedarkboy

Thedarkboy Anime Geek Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Mid-core gamer probably.. Fits me best of those.

5. KuroTsuna

Credit:
    Everyone is equal in games, so it doesn't really matter.

6. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    If you were just going to turn around and say it doesn't matter (which, for the record, I agree with), then why did you post the poll in the first place?

7. darkengy

darkengy Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    A mid-core and girl gamer for me

8. KuroTsuna

Credit:
    Not everything I said should be judged that hard lol

9. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I am a hardcore gamer.

10. florentall

florentall MMORPG Addict The Pit

Credit:
    girl gamer and I would say newbie cause I'm not the best at everything but I enjoy the game (more important).

11. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    I say pro even though I don't make money off it.

If I did youtube videos, surely I could make money off it. But it's just too much effort.

12. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I am a hardcore casual old school gamer :D

13. ufbre

ufbre World of Tanks Fan Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Mid-core gamer + hard :)

14. GiveMeSomeBeer

GiveMeSomeBeer Big Brute Ogre Regular

Credit:
  15. PetrinNS

PetrinNS MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    Well I am a hardcore gamer now, but am not that aggresive. I tent to make my team "A TEAM" and with every their fight I try to make it better. Am a hardcore gamer now because maybe later on I want to a Proffesional gamer. :)

16. JokerOfRage

JokerOfRage Little Spike

Credit:
    RetroGamer :D love retro 8bit & 16Bit :)

17. Razer Machs

Razer Machs MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    I think im hardcore player :)

18. Azinanik

Azinanik Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I am hardcore gamer...

19. axwellshm

axwellshm Ogre Extraordinaire The Pit

Credit:
    Im kinda of mid core