1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What widely used invention could you totally live without?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Xctroy, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Xctroy

Xctroy Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Facebook would definitely be one for me, also smart device AI systems like Alexa

2. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Depends on the specificity or generality of the invention. For instance, in a general sense, computers pretty much encompass many things like phones, laptops, calculators, game consoles, etc. Even things that we never really think about like ATMs, drive-through machines, traffic control systems, microwave ovens are computers when you realize that they process data and instructions in some way. The world would be a different place without computers, especially when you realize the insurgence in popularity (for instance, compare 1980s when computers were scarce to the modern day).

3. Sepherus96

Sepherus96 Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I could live without satelite tv and apple products

4. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    It's easy to live without television in general, because you have the Internet which holds a wider array of media; therefore, you have more options when watching things online. I personally think television's not as great because the cost of cable TV is higher, the shows that are on TV are only available on certain timeslots, and you might have to sit through 3-5 minutes worth of ads (while on YouTube, it might just be 15 seconds which isn't too bad). It feels like cable companies haven't really evolved to newer standards.

Living without Apple products would be easy, because you have competitors that make similar products. For computers, instead of Mac, you have Windows and Linux. Instead of an iPad, you have Android tablets and Windows tablets. Instead of an iPhone, you have Samsung phones and many other Android-based phones. Instead of an iPod, you have Sony Walkman and other MP3 players (or you could alternatively use your phone for music). There are usually alternatives, and the same goes with Apple's services as well (e.g. Google Drive vs. iCloud). I think for the most part, if there's a competitor to any specific product, it's easy to live without that certain product.