1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Which do you prefer? Pen, Stylus or Mouse (Artwork)

Discussion in 'Gamer Creations' started by Mayonnaise, Oct 2, 2017.

Which?

1. Pen

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Stylus

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Mouse

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise Cold Heart The Pit

Credit:
    So i am struggling with my Traditional Art and wanna upgrade and learn Digital art so. Any suggestions are welcome :p

2. Zalb33

Zalb33 DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior
    1. TSM

Credit:
    Just get some cheap drawing pad for PC if you dont really have the money but yes the drawing pen/pad thingy for pc is reaaaally helpful and is a one must have for digital art in my opinion ..

3. Qsljic

Qsljic Ogre Prince The Pit

Credit:
    If you dont want to pay a lot of money on tablet, you can simply take a photo of a drawing and load on pc and after load in some program(in my case Photoshop). That picture you can use as a sketch, and using a pen tool you can make a digital art, there are tons of videos on youtube that can teach you the basics.

4. Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise Cold Heart The Pit

Credit:
    I saw an app called Adobe Sketch which in my experience can be a good one to digitalize my art :3

-_- if only my parents arent all strict and did not ground me. My allowance was soooo cut off.

5. Zalb33

Zalb33 DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior
    1. TSM

Credit:
    Doing art in photoshop is also really good but ye Adobe is fine also try Autodesk Sketchbook that one is good aswell .

6. Well I prefer pencil, pen, and mouse.

In order to understand digital art, one must understand traditional art first. One does not simply jump into digital art without a base to work from.

I would recommend buying blue and red pencils for sketching, a black pen for tracing, a scanner for scanning, and Photoshop or Illustrator for making the art digital and filling in the colors. When sketching, I wouldn't worry too much about erasing the red and blue marks, because it's easy to remove them digitally.

In Photoshop, it's simple to change the contrast of a sketch to make the image look digital and remove the red and blue colors, then work with layers for the colors using Photoshop's color blend mode (Multiply) so you don't paint over the black line and/or (Overlay) if you want to paint just the black line.

In Illustrator, you can simply trace over your sketch to make your image look like vector art.

7. Fabhrach

Fabhrach Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    My first drawing tablet was only $30, and it lasted for 4+ years.

There are a lot of free programs out there for someone who wants to learn digital arts. The 2 I use most often are Paint(dot)NET and Medibang Paint Pro.

8. valkangel

valkangel DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Mouse user here! Its kinda hard to use at first but you'll get the hang of it. The pen tool in photoshop works wonders and is what I use in my professional work :)

9. Well it is pretty hard, if you're sketching digitally from scratch, but if you have a sketch to trace from, it's not really that bad. A lot of people tend to jump into actually drawing rather than creating concepts, and I feel like that's a huge mistake when it comes to making digital art. Now I will admit shading is a lot better on a pen/stylus since you do have pen pressure control on certain applications, but drawing tablets are quite pricey.

10. valkangel

Credit:
    yes most of the time I sketch digitally as well (it's not pretty) and then use shapes to shape the drawing... one trick i use if I wanted the outline of my digital sketch to be clean but still have that painterly feel is to clip the painted layer onto a shape so if for example I have a circle that I want to be painted on by free hand but still retain that crisp circle outline i paint on a separate layer then clip that layer into a circle shape so that the colors dont bleed out of the shape... I also use a solid brush with a lowered opacity if I wanted to mix colors... image below is an example (this was made 5 years ago) of how I do things...

388958_3054920294895_1087869296_n.jpg

11. Definitely some interesting tips for painting digitally. I feel like everyone can find their own style that suits them. I can draw quite nicely for 2D art, but 3D is a little more tricky.

12. valkangel

Credit:
    This is just what i used long ago... i dont do freehand anymore since i use a mouse..

13. I'm pretty comfortable with both though I do prefer freehand more. Since I use my mouse a lot, it's sort of what I'm used to using. When you use a mouse so often, it sort of becomes a habit.

14. valkangel

Credit:
    I mainly use mouse now and what i use for lineart, shading, coloring are shapes :)

15. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I use mouse when I draw on paint. :))

16. Also the software I use tends to push me towards certain input devices. When I draw things in Adobe Flash, I kind of like using a mouse to draw out things. And with Adobe Illustrator, I prefer mouse as well, just because I can always adjust the Bézier curves if I don't like how something looks. When dealing with Adobe Photoshop, I think it's more comfortable using a pen or stylus.

So I would say that mouse is good for vector art and stylus/pen is good for bitmap art. Bitmap tends to require more attention to details, including shading, smooth curves, etc. Vector already provides you tools like a gradient bucket and Bézier curves that you can move the anchor of. Art style could also be another thing to consider, but I think the type of software you use makes the biggest difference.