1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Why Do Mobile Games get Boring?

Discussion in 'Mobile Online Games' started by Awen Blade, May 8, 2017.

1. Awen Blade

Awen Blade King of Bananas The Pit

Credit:
    hmmm.. maybe its just it... all things get boring when its not your taste... ;P

2. Djordje Badric

Djordje Badric DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Yea dude,mobile games are boring to me.....All are almost the same way maked

3. LegendaryGriefer36

LegendaryGriefer36 Ogre Prince The Pit
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    Its boring if theres no updates for the game

4. herokae

herokae Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Most mobile games are designed to casuals, so "regular" gamers usually exhaust all the game content pretty fast.

5. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Some people find them entertaining, others boring, it all comes down to taste. Personally i'm the same, they don't do much for me and I don't like to invest my energy into the gameplay. I'll play them to pass time but that's it.

6. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Usually there are two factors as to why I don't enjoy mobile games as much.

The first factor is that some games are just way too simple. You expect a lot more variety, but you don't see as much. The simple kinds of games (such as Flappy Bird) are usually fun to play every once in a while, or against friends, but it's not really fun playing simple games for long hours.

The second factor is that some games are way too complex or grindy. You have games that are hard to control on a mobile device or have some kind of complexity that just makes you want to quit playing. I sometimes feel that way for certain mobile MMORPGs.

CanineAQ3D likes this.
  7. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Simple, mobile games are designed by their very nature, as a way to pass time. Therefore, development is shallow and the revenue is almost always micro in nature. In short, that's why they've taken over the world we live in today. Everyone is on the move, always busy and mobile games have taken over the gaming market, they're an ' evolution ' of sorts, and just highlight today's day and age. Fast paced and without much point to it, wow that got dark fast :D

8. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Another issue I see with today's mobile games is "flanderization" or oversimplification of a game's overall personality or trait.

Mobile games these days are too formulaic:
    (1) Gameplay is too similar from one mobile game to another (you see this is a lot of idle games and copycat games, and even mobile game UI), and this issue even extends to microtransactions.
    (2) The same 3D cartoonish/cel-shade artstyle used for one game is too common across many games.
    (3) "New" mobile games are just difficult to come up with. Rather than trying out new ideas, game developers tend to "play it safe" by sticking with what ideas are already out there. Trying new ideas is a risk-reward situation and it can place a huge burden for small-sized game developers (think limited budget).

And there's no simple solution to maximizing engagement on mobile games. Part of the issue stems from the duopoly in the smartphone industry between Apple and Google as they're the driving force of innovations on smartphone devices. Apple and Google have a major influence on demographics, specifications on what a mobile phone can and cannot allow (sometimes older devices cannot play newer games because of specifications and additions on newer hardware), and operational costs (publisher fee).

It's not like the 2000s where anyone can publish their game (Flash games, for example) on the free and open Internet.