1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Why limiting/restricting professions in mmorpg?

Discussion in 'MMO Debates' started by sebastien rivas, Apr 10, 2013.

1. sebastien rivas

sebastien rivas Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Hello,

I am wondering a question purely from feasability, server handling, game engine handling.
    I am not asking about gaming experience.

Why are MMORPG generally speaking limiting or restricting profession(s) per character base (ex:wood cutter, miner, armorsmith, weaponsmith)

For example. Would it be impossible for a server, a game engine to handle all professions per created 1 character?

I understand that limiting/restriction first approach is "economical game experience" but I am wondering if there is a technical,capability, or feasability issue. I do not see how it could be but I prefer to ask.

Thanks in advance,
    Seb

2. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I think, more likely, that that's how it's usually done. And irl, you're really probably only going to have one profession, so it could be a simulation of that.

That doesn't mean it's always the case. Runescape doesn't have classes at all, anyone can do any and everything. Same goes for Adventure Quest (though that's a somewhat different approach).

But yeah I think part of it's tradition, another part because you'd really only have one profession irl.