1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Wildstar: Humor, telegraphed attacks, and two factions in spaaaace

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Kytsune, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    So I’ve been following Carbine Stuido’s upcoming MMORPG, Wildstar for a bit now – I even wrote a blog post about this – so I’m fairly interested for it to come out already so that I can keep playing and playing. To me, it’s almost like a reinvention of World of Warcraft (in space) except, of course, it’s extremely modern and not WoW at all. The cartoony-look should keep it alive and working well for quite some time, and the telegraphed attacks with fighting-on-the-move should make it fit gamers who prefer action-styled combat.

Wildstar: The Hype and the Glory | Free MMORPG Blog

However, what makes me really look forward to it is the huge expanse of varied content they intend to introduce and how “paths†will change how different players experience the same content. Even the “settler†path has an interesting gimmick.

Only problem? NCSoft. Still very angry at them over City of Heroes.

I have a feeling I’ll be playing the emo-undead race the entire time.
    I’m wondering, has anyone else taken a gander at this game and what are your thoughts?

2. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Wildstar will be awesome. I doubt it will be WoW awesome, but it will be a big hit :D

3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I like that it appears to be different... it's not trying to be a WoW clone or the typical MMO. I also really like how chatty they have been throughout development, they've done lots of Q&As and articles with the developers on various subjects. This is one example:

WildStar's Economic Game | WildStar MMORPG

I like the games humor and it seems their press guys have it too lol, they've got a good vibe and aren't afraid to be silly like interviewing a game character:

Meet the Mordesh | WildStar MMORPG

Haven't been following it as close as I would like too but it's definitely an x factor on my list.. really hoping it turns out well.

4. Kytsune

Credit:
    It's going to be damn-hard to supplant WoW. It's been around for so long and so strong now that it's got that sense of veteran-of-the-genre. So, like thou sound here, I'm always on the lookout for games that'll give me fun.

New fun, I think, is the killer app of the MMO market.

5. Kytsune

Credit:
    Mordesh! That's the team that's the race I was thinking of.

6. Aaddron

Credit:
    They sound awesome! So does the other races, I'm already having a tough time deciding which to play lol.

7. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    new fun as in n ew challenges are the killer app?

8. Kytsune

Credit:
    Aaaand, crap, Wildstar is a box-priced subscription game.

$60 price tag on the box; $15/mo subscription (with bulk pricing.) In short, this will mean that I won't have anyone to play with, although I'll probably buy in for a little while just to explore the game and get a lay of the land.

The hybrid portion of the model is that they intend to go with a PLEX-like model similar to EVE Online and TERA. This means that players who make enough money in game can buy game time with in-game currency from other players...

So, anyone laying bets in how long Wildstar will take to shift to a much more free-to-play model?

9. Aaddron

Credit:
    $60 + $15 a month, ugh I think this is really gonna bite them. My hype is gone :( I don't mind the monthly fee per-say... it's a nice way to avoid a bad cash shop, or just annoying F2P design but after playing Guild Wars 2 and all the other good-solid range f2p games I just can justify $60 + $15 especially when pretty much every other one of these in the past 2 years has gone F2P in less than a year.

Not gonna gamble $60 unless the game turns out to be the next great MMO... otherwise the odds of it going F2P within a year are just too high, I can wait.

I wonder if this means Guild Wars 2 isn't doing as hot as they make it out to be, same publisher... you'd think if Guild Wars 2 was raking in the money they would of really been pushing for that model.

10. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    $60 + $15 a month not in 2013! i smell a bomb :(

11. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Why are the most exciting games going to have a subscription? :(

12. Aaddron

Credit:
    Because money D: I think the F2P safety net is also a factor... hardly ever hear of a AAA MMO failing to convert to F2P, it seems to always be big money. Why start F2P when you can start P2P, get a lot of cash up front and then slide over to F2P later for a second boost and a longer shelf life.

13. Kytsune

Credit:
    It certainly seems this way. If anything, it might even promote a core seed community who show that they're willing to pay for the product and become veterans through sunk costs. As a strategy this could be used to build up a community they KNOW will spend money and stick around and then later unveil free-to-play (in a year) as if to draw in a wider audience.

In this era where the free-to-play market is becoming saturated and AAA games are still doing insanely well even after transition, the different companies are probably wondering if they can manage to build up that seed audience and keep them in place while they cultivate a community.

Personally, even though I make money on MMO games, I don't keep many subscriptions and unless Wildstar makes mass popularity I won't be there.

14. Aaddron

Credit:
    Never really thought of it like that, makes a lot of sense.

15. Mordekaiser

Mordekaiser Dealer of Death Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yeah they will not make it far :( should of made it free to play

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.