1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Will AQ3D end up with the same fate as other AE games?

Discussion in 'Adventure Quest 3D' started by Snowy, Feb 5, 2018.

1. I've noticed some recurring themes with game development for Artix Entertainment. After the success of AdventureQuest Worlds, they've released a handful of games that would later be abandoned.

For instance, in 2010, HeroSmash was released and would later lack updates as time progressed. This game's never had much public attention outside of the AE community, and never went Live, but it did have a strong community up until updates slowly died.

Then there was OverSoul released in 2012 which also had the same fate as HeroSmash, also not making it to its Live release, though it holds a strong community to this day.

Another notable abandoned Artix Entertainment game is BladeHaven 3D (BladeHaven: Dragon's Bane) which was being developed in 2013 for mobile, but was cancelled in favor of AdventureQuest 3D.

What do you think about AdventureQuest 3D itself? Do you think it'll fall in the fate of these other games? Do you think the developers will persevere and continue progress until the game at the very least gets pushed to Live release? What do you think of AQ3D in respect to some of Artix Entertainment's other games?

2. Pinkyz

Pinkyz Banned

Credit:
    I really hope it doesnt I enjoy aq3d every day

3. I think a lot of people hope that as well, but nothing lasts forever. I respect the developers for giving us a platform, but a lot of people feel excluded like AE is influencing its community rather than having the community influence itself. It's sort of dividing the community and creating a more toxic environment on two different sides. I really think the flow of the community will determine the success of the game, but I don't want to put my optimism too high.

Pinkyz likes this.
  4. Pinkyz

Pinkyz Banned

Credit:
    I t
    I Think the servers are getting more people in them more people play now then 2 3 years ago I have hope for aq3d

5. I believe they recently removed all of the offline servers (Green Dragon, Hidden Dragon, etc.) from the server list; they were never put into use though. As for server population, it's been constant (averaging around 1.2k). I think the population might be more than Alpha and Pre-Beta's population though, considering the early days on AQ3D didn't really have much to do. Don't know for sure since the AE's Server List API wasn't being used back then, but it definitely felt like less players back then.

6. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Ugh, this is the worst topic for me to comment on, I have so much to say and none of it's good. But I'll try to be more positive. I think with stuff like mechquest AE as an indie company meant well, just didn't have the punch as far as finances and resources go. That being said though, I started playing AE games 2006ish and the decay in their games started happening not long after tbh. AE as you've pointed out, have always survived because AE supporters are diehard. There might not be many of us, but we've always supported, and not just talk, we put our money where our mouth is.

Problem is, AE stopped being AE. It started with the finer details, the forum would host regular contests where you could win items. The original adventure quest used to have so many wars in which unique boss items would become available. There were active communities and a drive. AE did all of this without fancy graphics and with fiercely loyal support. Adam bohn (artix) started becoming less and less involved. They started hiring people that worked on their original game without getting payed for it. These people policed the forum like it was communist russia or something.

Honestly, I was once one of those diehard fans. Yes, as a teenager I was banned from their forum. I spoke out against many of the changes that were taking place but did so in a very crude and unruly manner. Then AE started acting like the mobile games and the times made it harder for them, which is a load of bull. I'm not saying it had 0 bearing, but their games dying and many people leaving have a lot do with their attitude as a company. It went rotten from the top and slowly trickled down, just look at that player that spoke out about being abused as a volunteer. During the aq3d kickstarter, Adam tried silencing this guy (Ashendal). And when that didn't work, he pretended to be all nice and settle it outside the forum in private.

Adam bohn is a pretentious dude, honestly. You can tell they have that other poor girl working overtime to promote their videos. She looks so over it, I feel for her. But a job is a job. AQ3D and the way Cysero openly talks to customers is the ugly truth about this company at present. They don't care anymore, they're simply riding out their last loyal people for their dollars and seeing how far the ship will go before they get off and leave it to sink.

7. Cherif ahmed

Cherif ahmed DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    to answer your question simply watch how ppl now play aq/aq/df
    and that would mean bots. alot of bots will be created for aq3d once its live
    most ppl will simply be burned off the grind because the game IS a grindfest ( dont tell me otherwise pls )

8. That's the culture of humanity. Humans have lives to attend to, and don't possess the everyday convenience to play one game for an entire grind session. When I play AQ3D to grind for stuff, I find myself having to sacrifice time doing other things (like playing other games that I would probably play and outdoor activities) just to keep up with the pace, especially on release days. After release day, there tends to be less players which means grinding takes longer, and that is one of the biggest issues AQ3D faces, especially with its low player count.

And especially for the mobile gaming industry, most of the successful games tend to not consume you, or at least try to innovate in an appealing manner... games like Flappy Bird, Angry Birds, Pokémon GO, and Candy Crush. Then there are mobile games plagued with gacha mechanics that milk cash from consumers or attempt to hop on the trend and clone-games that mimic successful games.

Anyway, to me, I see AQ3D as a game that's following old, outdated MMORPG standards, especially considering that AQ3D developers have high regards to MMORPGs like World of Warcraft. For a PC game, I think that's average, but for a mobile game, it just doesn't adapt to modern times. In retrospect, the Diablo Immortal trailer taught a lesson about bringing a PC experience to mobile, that you won't get a positive reception.

9. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I see AQ3D at least hitting live release and unlike their other projects that they have left unfinished, AE has stayed loyal to actually getting it ready for that live release. My view of AE has definitely changed as years have gone by even though I haven't been that open on the topic. As @CanineAQ3D stated, AQ3D is standing today due to diehard fans and I couldn't agree more.
    Speaking of players going against or just trying to help AE, you guys might have heard of Fan (that lord of bushes dude)? Some of the changes he suggested did ultimately get adopted, but let's just say that his approach was too confrontational to AE.
    I have been trying to make a way less impactful change (which Artix was okay with) to have consistency in the reobtainability of starter gear by making starter leather boots reobtainable, but let's just say that the staff who can make it happen "lack the intent" to do it even though these boots ended up in the game anyway regardless of lack of said intent. Player support "can't" do anything about it either.
    Anyway, I hope that AQ3D won't end up like the rest of AE's unfinished games.

10. I'd say Fan was an excellent tester for AQ3D; he was very open to the public and knew more about the behind-the-scenes going on at AE than anyone else. That was exactly what ended his role as a tester, unfortunately; his transparency and open discussion to the community about the company's struggles got him removed from his position and blocked by the developers on Twitter since it's info behind an NDA. I assume the company really sees that sort of spotlight as a bad representation for their company, even if it's the truth, but that kind of transparency really lets frustrated players know why things are the way they are. That's just public relations at its core. No industry is perfect, and that's something that needs to be acknowledged.

People like Fan and Sauce retain likability because they're honest to the community, but the developers don't like their open honesty because their job is their livelihood and they want to be protective of their brand. I tend to think a few of the developers care more for their work and themselves than really for the community that play their games. Now, there's just too much drama everywhere because of how people feel about the game, because of the developers and the way they respond negatively to the community, and because of "positively-thinking" players defending the game and bashing the players that have any sort of criticism about the game, community, etc. It's just really messed up, especially when people in the community try to justify right and wrong; everyone has an opinion, and that's just something that needs to be respected.

CanineAQ3D likes this.
  11. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I didn't even know about this entirely separate controversy. But even if you look at employee reviews, AE gets a 2.5/5 with many 1 star reviews. Employees themselves are saying they cannot keep up with the pace of the modern gaming world. They also cite reasons such as favourtism and Artix not being a suitable leader. These are industry professionals we're talking here, and that's alarming. Aside from that, I take issue with stupid crap like the moglin kickstarter. Just small basics.

Me and a great majority of whiny fans are easy to shut up, just do a few of the following:

1. Make special events more often, nothing massive. Stuff that can stick around, but I want unique drops (very low %) with unique stats that won't stick around forever. That way casual players can play and hardcore players can sink their teeth into a grind that actually leads somewhere. Unlike Midas... Why hunt weeks or even months on end for a crappy sword with no business being as rare as it is? At this point you're insulting anyone with an IQ above burnt toast. And for those that think this is an unfair idea, they can make all the drops craftable but with a slight colour change, think ancient necromancer hood vs the new one. That way, before the items leave, at least the bragging rights are worth a little more than hours wasted on pixelated art. The craftable ones can stay, same stats and all, just a slight recolour.

2. Stop returning old rares like the royal talon stuff that the alpha players grinded an eternity for and helped support your now pos unimaginative game. People can say nobody held a gun to their heads till the cows come home, but to act like loyalty means nothing is a special kind of dirty. But Artix Entertainment are all about that kinda dirty these days, hey who's up for another kickstarter?! The new game will be called flappy artix, we need your support to make it a reality! They've gone out of their way, and I suspect Cysero is behind a lot of the changes. To take old rares like deathly zed sword and dried slime, as well as gathmor's axe and label them ' JUNK ' is complete bs. Again spitting in the faces of those that supported this crappy buggy game, your loyal fans that have done so for years. This company has forgotten that. We had so much fun during alpha, those were sought after items.

3. GET THE LABELLING ON ITEMS RIGHT FFS! Again renaming an iconic grindy helm from the alpha stage to ' paper horn ' and calling it junk is beyond stupid and a slap in the face to the earliest supporters. You couldn't even give zed sword an alternate colour to at least give us early grinders something to be proud of? It was the first ' uber ' tier weapon in the game. Why did they even create a labelling system if half the time it means nothing? Stuff like king's ransom is not legendary if all you have to do is grind for it a couple days. It's a cosmetic piece of junk. Why wasn't wrap of determination given a legendary tag? You know, an item that actually took real grinding and dedication to obtain. But now it seems they want people focusing on purple and orange tags, again treating older fans like monkeys.

4. The storylines... There is no main storyline, and the reason being? AE don't give a flying f$%^. Let's be real here, the aim was to get this up on steam and mobile devices, let it run from there. There was no aim beyond that. What AE has forgotten completely is that content that has a good story and has replay value, aka grinding potential will hold the interest of players till you can create more fleshed out content.

I have a few more, but just starting with a bit of enthusiasm would save this game imo, they have 0 though, not a care in the world. And if they do, they must all be stoned out of their minds 24/7 in that gaming studio to think that carrying on like this will help them survive long term as a company.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  12. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    The reality just isn't what we expect it to be. Mindless loyalty is not good for anything it can certainly lead to complications. It's better to be open minded and have a proper discussion. Yeah, the NDA was definitely behind Fan getting the boot, but it's pretty difficult to talk about what he did with so much info on his disposal without getting the boot. He had the right intentions, but it went against things he agreed to upon taking the mantle of tester.

13. I agree, AE does make a lot of mistakes. It's just something they need to continuously learn from moving forward, especially in the face of the community. Past events still haunt them like incidents pertaining to Miltonius, Beleen, Ash, and other staff members, so they have to be optimistic towards change.

Also, a lot of companies hide a lot of secrets, so it wouldn't really pertain to just AE; most companies won't describe work conditions to their consumers as they don't pertain to them and it could hurt the company (which would explain why an NDA exists), so it's really up to their employees to leave reviews of their experience on places like Glassdoor and job application sites to give hints to future applicants. Gaming experience pertaining to players, however, would make sense with iOS/Android reviews and Steam reviews.

14. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    It's hard to be open because anything you say can be misinterpreted and when it comes to protecting the brand, every word must be chosen carefully and tell just a bit about the whole picture.

15. Archdragon

Archdragon DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    My answer, yes it will, but when, it depends on the dev team, players and god (imagine comet strikedown tomorrow and end all of life at earth for example).
    I am not rare/unique hunter like others so I am not really troubled by alpha/beta items becoming junk.
    I am not really a fashion fanatic as well that need to be unique everytime to show everyone how rare I am or how veteran I am.
    I am just playing for fun, I grind when I have free time, I buy DC when I want something cool, I just wait for the next meta gear when I think the current meta is too hard to grind, I don't do PvP really often because when I am done playing I just logout to save my phone battery, I don't really have any target except doing all main quest since this game title is adventure quest not adventure fight or adventure rare hunt.
    For now, better or worse this game is still far better than any other game that I have played before.
    I know every player is unique, one likes pvp, one likes rare, one like grind, one likes afk, etc, so it's almost impossible to make a perfect game that everyone will love it, one update may get love from some, other may hate it. But remember the dev team is working hard making this game (dont say it's easy till you try making your own 3d mmorpg) and trying to fulfill every player needs, and dont forget that team also needs real money for their needs as well.
    You may whine when your opinion isnt being implemented, but you should realize your opinion may clash with other people opinion too and the dev teams may need a time to decide which opinion more implementable and has more benefit for players and game development. I know it because the devs at least already done quite a thing that players suggested for them, ex: nerfing gold drop of crystal spider queen to avoid bots in that place

16. I consider many players to be forward-looking about the future of the game, even if the experience and expectation isn't quite how they enjoy it compared to other times. Otherwise, those players would have probably left, if they didn't care about the game anymore. To me, liking and disliking are considered complete opposites, but they are similar in that they both show that the player at least cares. Just as positive opinions tend to be valued, I believe negative opinions should equally be valued; it's impossible to always have positive reception for a game/release. I don't advocate either full positivity nor full negativity, but I do believe some negativity could bring a lot of insight at times, as can positivity; it's really a balance of both.

That being said, there have been a couple of incidents in the past that's made players quit. For instance, one of the streamers (PaladinLepp) streaming for AQ3D had some negative opinions about the game and the admin of the AQ3D Content Creator Discord banned him from the Discord server after someone else complained about him (which caused a lot of ruckus on Twitter), and that streamer eventually quit AQ3D because of all the unnecessary drama and stress. He had some AQ3D-related art commissioned to him that he planned to use for his AQ3D stream and voluntarily wanted to stream the game for fun, so that's one of the examples where interpreting people's intentions can really hurt the game/company. So it's important not to just assume that someone who dislikes something about a game just doesn't care at all.

Anyway, I don't consider any game to be perfect. Nobody should be thinking that players are trying to purposely destroy the game or the community at all. Everyone has their own viewpoints and opinions, and whether they're positive or negative, they should be respected. And with that, the most harmful thing anyone could do is make up interpretations of what people are thinking and fight with those people.

CanineAQ3D likes this.
  17. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    Welp, I wasn't aware about that streamer situation. Are we not allowed be negative about something we care about? @Snowy, care to fill me in if this negativity was straight up bashing or was there any reasoning behind it?

18. I've never considered him to really be straight up bashing, mostly just honest and reasonable. It was mostly just a provoked reaction from another person that caused the situation. I think the reason Lepp was banned from the content creator Discord was mainly because of another person's riled-up public complaint on Discord. Lepp was banned from the server without hesitation along with another person who didn't really have any involvement at all, and Lepp hasn't had warnings or bans prior. If not for that other person's complaint, things would have been fine and he'd probably continue to stream as normal instead of quitting the game and streaming. In fact, Lepp contacted some of the Discord admins and Player Support and tweeted for actual assistance and they were unwilling to help, so a bunch of people on Twitter began subtweeting one of their tweets complaining about how ridiculous the drama was and that blew up (even people like Harrison and PSN stood up), and Player Support was still unwilling to help.

All I can say is that there's too much drama in the community, and that AE should probably focus more on their games instead of getting involved in any community interaction, probably even abandon their own content creator stuff and let players run their own stuff. If you have any spotlight in the community, people will look for any opportunity to drag you down. It's always been that way; on a similar note, this week Player Support disabled Red's account after some huge allegations e-mailed to Player Support, and he wasn't disabled from any in-game reports (though his 20 mutes did factor to Support's decision to disable the account), but it was disabled mainly because someone alleged that Red posted threats to another player on Twitter. It was later found out that the person who was involved in Red's drama was someone who was involved in previous drama incidents. I think Support is going to reinstate Red's account, but leave him with a permamute.

Pathos certainly can create a lot of persuasion, and that's something to be cautious about. Even staff members should be cautious not to outright blame their consumers (right or wrong), because it could hurt their company.

19. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    Oh? So he got banned by being in the wrong place at the wrong time? The blast radius was a wee bit too big and he got caught in the blast. Even after the community outcry for justice, nothing happened to change the fate? When it comes to drama, this community apparently has more of it when comparing the size of it and that is quite hilarious to be frank.
    I did hear about Red's account situation as well, didn't really turn out so well, eh? It wouldn't have happened if AQ3D had a proper way to recover your account that required more steps to make said action happen.
    AE needs to learn from their mistakes (and from some they already have) and continue to improve because there's always room for that. It's perfectly reasonable for AE staff to not do anything about an issue that could endanger their brand, but they shouldn't outright ignore said issue.