1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Will Free MMORPGs Get Ads?

Discussion in 'Free MMORPG' started by Pug1, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pug1

Pug1 Brute

Credit:
    Does anybody think that free games that have item malls will start have in-game ads too to survive? I think it may be the future because item malls don't look like they work good. Just my two cents.

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Possibly I'm not sure.

3. oropher

oropher Club Swinger The Pit

Credit:
    Well, if they see that they can make more money with in game ads, they'll do it.
    Items malls is using what we called the micro payment method. And there are a lot of games like this out there. (signs that they make money with them)
    Here is how it works:
    Instead of racking out a 15 euros per months to play your favorite mmog, (WOW, Eve On line, etc etc), players do pay much less. Some may decide to not pay anything.

However, there is a trick. If you don't purchase anything, you'll end up killing only low level monsters and you will stand no chance against someone who decided to pay a little bit to get this extra strong swords or shields, or climb 50 levels in a few seconds. You may eventually be tempted to buy a few items malls. If you don't, you'll be bored to get killed whatever you do, and you'll eventually stop playing.

It looks free, it attracts a lot more players. That's how they make quite good money, enough in fact to sustain a whole company. 95% of all said "free MMO games" advertised everywhere (here too) work like that.

I don't say it is bad, but too many games are advertised as free games, and in fact they are not. Unless you pay, you'll only be playing a kind of demo.

4. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    So you are saying that all games with an item mall suck unless you buy items?

5. oropher

Credit:
    Yes.

Without those purchasable items, you'll never be able to compete against those who bought them, or never be powerfull enough to risk yourself in some areas.

Quote me a game with items mall in which this is not the case.

6. Joker

Credit:
    I thought some games just have like clothes etc to dress their characters up.

7. oropher

Credit:
    No, this is not only about cosmetics...unfortunately.

8. Joker

Credit:
  9. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    That was a real good thread.

10. Viko

Viko Brute

Credit:
    I hate games that make the item mall needed to do anything.

11. Joker

Credit:
    I think they will use ads if they have to pay the billls but should not use the item mall to make the game weaker.

12. oropher

Credit:
    You always have to pay the bills...And ads are often not enough.
    How to monetize without giving the feeling to players that they have to pay to achieve something in the game.

Here is my suggestions:
    By Donation.
    By Selling By-products: Cups, Tee-shirts etc...
    With Ads. ( I already recommended Project Wonderful to a PBBG I play, and this plus google ads seem to generate extra incomes.)
    Cosmetization: Donate for a better layout or easier management of the game. Pay to get nicer clothes in a 3D MMOG. But not stronger weapons.

Have you got other ideas?

13. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    my idea would just be to pay for decorations and nothing else. for example, pay to have a cool looking house or furniture, cool clothes, maybe even have fancier looking mount. that way people can look better but it does hurt gameplay. a few games may have the clothes and even the house but not heard of customizing a mount yet. have u?

14. LordDeath

LordDeath BamBam

Credit:
    I find that you can still do everything in games that have item malls but it takes you a lot longer to get there than the person who pay pals. Usually you will lose interest in the game before becoming a top player.

I think it would be a good idea to use a combination of item malls and premium accounts to bring better game play. The item malls can sell unique clothing, random gifts (like flowers and such that do nothing of importance more than a social aspect of the game). Possibly food or beer that only give a short animation effect and other animation based things like fireworks. These items would sell if enough people were into the game but might not be huge money makers for the people making the game. That is why I would say use with a combination of premium accounts that let you have extra bank space, become a guild leader, get married, have a house... etc.

15. noodlepics

noodlepics BamBam

Credit:
    I think it will be a long time before MMOs pick up ads instead of cash shop. The reason being is that cash shops make so much money. A game like Flyff makes more money per active player than WoW does, and that's all through cash shop.

16. maitwomoons

maitwomoons Ogre Newling

Credit:
    i'm the game manager for acclaim's 2Moons - which is a free to play mmorpg. we don't have in-game ads (some of acclaim's games DO have in-game ads), but we have a cash shop. i'm not on here to promote 2Moons; because if you ask me, "what games do you play?"... i'm not going to shamelessly say "ooooOoh!!! i only play 2Moons!" my biggest weakness is probably WoW, but i play runescape, tales of pirates, angels online, and perfect world as well. i'm a gamer girl - what can i say. so because i was used to WoW, at first, i didn't understand the free-to-play model. there are certain games where you can't succeed at high levels unless you pay for in-game items... but there are a lot out there where you don't need to spend $$ (2Moons' cash shop, for example, sells vanity costumes, mounts, pets, etc. - items not needed to lvl). so back to the ads. will in-game ads be a fixture to free to play mmo's? some, not all. there's so many games out there... just play around. ;)

17. deadplayer

deadplayer Brute The Pit

Credit:
    In-game ads come out in many games now.

18. jstr08

jstr08 MMORPGer

Credit:
    exactly, alot of games are doing it now, FYI

19. Joker

Credit:
  20. jstr08

jstr08 MMORPGer

Credit:
    sample is cabal, u can get pepsi shirts, then ran online, u can get coca cola shirts,
    etc etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.