1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Wired vs. Wireless Devices

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by Snowy, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Which do you think is better, and why? They both have their pros and cons.

Personally, I'm thinking wired is better for four reasons.
    1. They're typically cheaper. Whenever I look at wireless headphones, they cost a lot compared to wired headphones. The same is true for a lot of other wired vs. wireless devices. I think this is my biggest decision factor.

2. They're probably faster. I'm not sure how much difference it would make, or if it's even noticeable. It's not really something I'm concerned about since I'd do fine with either a wired keyboard or a wireless keyboard for games that I play that require a lot of input, because I won't notice much difference.

3. I don't have to deal with charging the device or replacing batteries, which is probably my third biggest decision factor. It's always a bit annoying when I have to go to the store to pick up new batteries, and it's always inconvenient when I have a mouse that requires AA batteries and a keyboard that requires AAA batteries, and that inconsistency pushes me to favor wired.

4. Privacy is always a concern and that's my second biggest decision factor. I'm sure Bluetooth and other wireless connections use encryption and you'll be fine with wireless (in other words, you don't have to worry about malicious people intercepting radio waves), but I don't want to just assume things will be fine. And companies like Google and Apple are already taking advantage of Bluetooth to track things, so I'd rather not connect wireless headphones with Bluetooth turned on. Also I don't to deal with interference; if someone has the same device as I do, like a mouse, I could mess with their computer or they could mess with mine, so that's not fun to deal with.

Of course, there are drawbacks from choosing wired, like dealing with tangled cables, having less portability since there's a wire attached to another device, and having to set up everything in a closed space (e.g. moving your printer that you infrequently use to your workstation instead of having it in some other room).

I use a mix of both wired and wireless (to deal with certain trade-offs, like the printer example I mentioned), but I do prefer wired for most things.