1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Moments with Technology

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Snowy, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Whether it's a computer, a smartphone, or any other device, have you had any moments when you relied on technology, but that technology did not work properly and caused you a lot of frustration?

The worst moment I had with technology was when a printer of mine stopped working, so then everything I had to print was from school for quite a long time (with fees every time I had to print), even homework that I needed to print out to even work on. Of course, I devised ways to overcome the challenge by printing assignments beforehand in school, and doing certain homework on notebook paper so that I didn't have to pay more printing fees.

2. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    One time I couldn't get Minecraft to work because it required my password since I hadn't played it in a while. It took days if not weeks until, by pure accident, I entered my password!

3. Blasphy

Blasphy Emperor Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    My worst moment on technology was when i tried to save some files for my data backup, and suddenly i got an error instead and ended up with a corrupt files.

4. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    That does sound pretty bad, to have your files corrupted. Computers can do some of the most unexpected things. It's usually nice to back up files on external devices like a flashdrive though.

As for my Windows 7 computer, I did have a moment when I got a message saying, "the User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded," I think back in 2013. I didn't log into the user profile that had the issue for a whole year and ended up using a guest account that I had created for my computer since I didn't want to mess with my computer's registry. I did get it fixed though, I think some time during the summer.

5. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    My worst moment with technology had to do with printers as well. I think I was in 5th or 6th grade, I was paired with someone to do a assignment for school. They gave us our own assigned laptops for school and when it got time to print, it printed like 50+ copies. I don't remember why it printed so many copies but I remember we got yelled at by the teacher lol.

6. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I have endless technology issues. My most frustrating in recent times though was my Nintendo Switch. So I've got a pre-ordered from like day one, super excited, get it in the mail... it's great but I notice this weird substance on it, like I've never seen this before and wiping it off somehow it magically comes back. Some kinda of witchcraft level stuff, I don't even know. So yea, it's pretty gross and then the fan starts revving up a lot... my thoughts is maybe whatever this substance is in the hardware itself... so RIP. Send it back and because of how well it was selling it's impossible to get another.

Like 2 months of hunting later I finally catch it in stock again. Buy it, everything is perfect... 4 days or whatever in the dock starts randomly cutting video. Tried a new cable, different monitor, everything I can but nothing helped. Nintendo determines it's a hardware issue, recommends returning it... take it back, an again impossible to get a replacement.

Couple weeks later, popped into the store for something else and just happened to be one left on the shelf. No obvious issues, plays well for a week and bam, controllers just refuse to stay connected... I thought here we go again lol but after a full shutdown it was fine and it's never happened again. Whew! Each replacement lost all my progress, which made Zelda Breath of the Wild a bit of a chore. Switch has since been well worth the trouble though.

7. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i have a nintendo switch as my only console as a christmas gift, and it had trouble connecting to the internet while my phone and laptop had no trouble at both my grandparents' homes and my shared home (both places have a fast connection especially when no one else is using it at the same time) so i searched about it online and others were having the same problem. it worked weeks later but i'm still mindful about not disconnecting because the trouble might come back

8. a

a Ogre Queen Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i dropped my new tablet kust after 3 days of buying it :-(

9. Straw

Straw Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    My phone broke because of my pet dog. My bag dropped on the floor because he grabbed it . the laptop of my cousin and my mobile phone was inside the bag. Luckily my cousin's laptop didn't broke. But my phone screen totally cracked, no images and the sensor is not functioning.

10. Stroik

Stroik Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    My worst moments were when technology broke for my father. He would get very upset.

11. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I usually never worry much about things with technology going wrong since they usually don't affect me much, but I've had instances within this year where:
    1) Internet router has gone down all night while I'm working on things
    2) Computer has been stuck on startup repair before a meeting

I think technology is unreliable for time-critical things, and this year alone makes it apparent. With prolong use of technology, you'll definitely experience moments where things just happen (computer crashes, long loading times, slow down because of multiple tabs, etc.), that you wouldn't have expected in other years (if the things you did with technology weren't so important). I would say that 2020 has made people busier with technology.