1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

WoW vs. Runescape

Discussion in 'Online Game Battles' started by ogreman, Jan 30, 2010.

Which MMORPG is better?

1. World of Warcraft

40 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. RuneScape

37 vote(s)
    48.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    You can't woodcut in Runescape, do something else, and come back can you? I thought you had to move on to another tree. At least that's how I remember it. Are you confusing Runescape with Syrnia?

Anyway, the only "click and wait" in WoW is combat. And then it's not really click and wait in WoW when you move into higher levels and gain skills. Cos in WoW, combat involves using your skills, or casting spells etc, plus healing yourself. I don't know of any other "click and wait" things in WoW, because it's just explore the world, do quests, and combat for most of it isn't it? Only exploring the WoW world is fun, doing quests is fun, because you gain rewards, and you learn more about the story of WoW, and most of the quests aren't just kill X amount of monsters. And combat involves using skills, and before combat, you have to set up your character with the best equipment, and the best skills for the job. And I haven't even gone into the PvP yet actually...

2. Lordofthepeople

Lordofthepeople Ogre Newling

Credit:
    I am sorry but runescape has terrible graphics, no storyline, and the worst combat system I have ever seen. You take turns, for god`s sake! I rate it 0, and I played it for 4 years!

Wow has decent graphics, good storyline, great race design, an excellent combat system, nice gear, and has some of the best pvp and instances ever! Really, There`s no competition. I played it for 3 years and the only reason I quit is because it took up too much of my time. I might even start up again. Because of all these reasons, I think that Wow easily overcomes runescape despite the price difference, and am rating it at 10

3. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Oh yeah, I've just had an idea from the last post. Why don't everyone state how long they've played each one?

Personally, I've played both for a few months.

4. sergioowns1

sergioowns1 Little Spike

Credit:
    I have played runescape for 3 years...quitted 1 year and went try ome other mmorgs
    I played Wow for around 3-4 months....but hell the 15dlls thing was too much for me and I just quitted, That and I had maxed combat and not a lot to do after that, just create another acc with a diff class....And well just NO
    Went to play other things tibia,silkroad lot's other mmorpgs but after trying dozens, I could find one mmorpg as good as runescape that has the variety and dozen of things to do...and the community is just about 5/5 IF you know where to look.

5. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    They are both great MMO's however, Runescape has a MASSIVE world to explore with the FREE version. I doubt I'll ever explore everything there, yet alone the paid version.

WoW = $15 a month = $180 a year. What game is worth that?

6. anigous

anigous BamBam

Credit:
    **Read this all.

Played since 2002, and you know what, I find that the quests have more depth, wit, and sheer enjoyability compared to other quests. By depth I mean the quests, "Lets go out and keel some monsters and collect from chest guise :B"; not my definition of depth. And the combat involves many aspects that you still have yet to find. Maybe I am just some "Runescape Elitist" and my opinion is biased.

Tell me, have you finished EVERY quest in the game, played through the game through, and went through the aspects? WoW is just lacking some aspects because of the massive xp required to get anywhere. I enjoy listening to music and chatting on other browsers, because the game other then PK requires very little attention (PK is the fun aspect so it's OK to miss out on chatting).

The only game I've dreamed of paying more then 20$ for was guild wars(which I have never purchased). Anyways, like I said, the two games have elitists, and obviously Runescape is the better game because of the quantity of votes. Not to mention solo players can enjoy the game.

**Explanation to depth of fighting:
    28 inventory slots
    Every members' PK match you need to bring a set amount of antipoisons, a set amount of food, and a set amount of potions, not only do you have to budget to ensure you still make money and can sufficiently hold valuable drops. Runes for spells included.

Spells
    You probably need to cast a spell once or twice regardless, this can DRAMATICALLY change the outcome of a match. Deciding a good spell to use is essential, do you want to bind them? Do you want to cast a high damage hit spell? Do you want to use a curse spell? ETC. ETC.

Poisons
    You'll need a Dragon dagger P++ if you want to poison, now even if someone has brought antipoisons, it's smart to use the special attack to spike up some damage without using a godsword(or abyssal whip if you're in the pit big time). Poisons can also affect the match

Armour
    For believers in the rock paper scissors system, you'll want to be specific on the armour you wear. Maybe you'll have some extra armour in the pack in case of a mage and you need more magic defense.

Prayers
    Not even going to say. Look yourself.

Is that not depth? I'm sure WoW has a million more options, but which one is simpler to get? It's as easy as planning for 5 minutes, and going out.

Once again, I AM biased, and my opinion is a bit screwy.

EDIT!: Some trees in runescape hold MULTIPLE logs, so you can stay and cut the tree for some time. Of course it's still recommended that you chop something with multiple trees in the area.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  7. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Not at all, WoW as a freedom of movement that runescape does not, and most spells are fired of rapidly, which means you have to be engaged and plan ahead while continuously firing off a huge variety of spells.

8. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    So, er, anigous, how long have you played WoW then? You didn't say... You're implying you haven't played it, but you know, I just want to check.

9. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I think anigous has made a good point. In WoW, dozens of areas are locked due to restrictions. In RuneScape, after the completion of the tutorial, you are FREE. You can go anywhere in the entire gigantic world! You might encounter someone that is level 100 in your first 10 minutes of playing. Yes, there are restrictions on free players, but WoW has restrictions on PAID players. In my opinion, if you are paying that kind of money for a GAME there should be ZERO restrictions on you. A free player in RS can still spend hundreds of hours exploring the free world and get nowhere near discovering everything!

10. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Yes, there are restrictions to where you can go in WoW, but that's to do with the pacing of the game. There are areas in WoW where there will be high level monsters, and NPCs that continue the story of WoW only if you've already seen previous story in previous areas. By locking areas, WoW ensures that players get a better experience, and to be honest, even when locking areas out, there's still a huge amount of land to explore in WoW in the first stage. And you won't even notice it if you're going quest by quest to find out the story of WoW. Borderlands does a similar thing to this.

11. Smedley

Smedley MMORPGer

Credit:
    In Runescape you can go to a dangerous place at level 3, no area restrictions :) I remember going into the kalphite lair at lvl 12 and almost making my way to the queen :p

12. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    wow has better pvp than runescape. didnt runescape used to have better and then they changed it??

13. nerbne

nerbne BamBam

Credit:
    Well lets see

WOW
    Graphics
    PVM/ PVE
    Expansion packs

Runescape
    PVP (is addicted to Fist of Guthix minigame)
    Skills
    Quests + Storylines of said members quests
    Many really helpful players you can see a snapshot of what I mean at War of Legends which is a game in beta that's predominately played by RS players.

-
    Overall I think Runescape has improved alot in the last say 2 years meanwhile I stop playing WOW for many months at a time until the next expansion pack comes out usually. So my vote goes to Runescape as a source of entertainment that keeps me coming back more it usto be that I would not play either on a weekly basis unless there was something big released but now I play Runescape regularly most weeks.

WOW - RS
    Gameplay - 9, 8
    Story 8, 10
    Graphics 8, 7
    Community 7, 9
    Tilt 9, 9
    -

Total WOW 8.2 RS 8.6,

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  14. jelmy

jelmy Little Spike

Credit:
    Let me correct that for you.

Wow - Rs
    Gameplay 9.5, 6 Wow has the most deep mmo gameplay ever can't see chopping a tree beating that. BTW if you like choping trees just come kill some Druids in wow.
    Story 9, 0.1 Wow has a deep story and lore i don't think Rs can beat that with OMG we need a fricking cabage so the witch can't make her potion!
    Graphics 8.5, 3 Wow has some smooth graphics especialy when Wotlk came even in HD Rs is blocky.
    Community 8, 4 Wow has a nice community but there are some ass hats but runescape has the worst community i ever saw.
    Tilt 9, 9 Atleast there is something i agree with you.

Total WoW 8.8 Rs 4.4

15. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Oh yeah, another example of WoW having a better and deeper story and deeper and better quests than RS: When you finish the Lich King quests now, it plays a CINEMATIC of what happens afterwards, and I don't understand why it happened, which really proves that you have play the game's quests through, get to the cinematic, and then you'll understand it. Just from watching the cinematic though, it seems that something really complicated happened with the Lich King.

16. Doctorevil987

Doctorevil987 Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Awesomedrako, have you ever played a quest in Runescape beyond the f2p ones?

Runescape has tons of lore and history as well. From the fall of Zaros at the end of the Second Age leading to the colossal Godwars in the Third Age, to the imminent-rise of The Mahjarrat Lord, Lucien, in modern days. I won't deny WoW has some great storyline to it as well, but there is much more depth to Runescape's story than you're giving it.

Take the Dorgeshuun series for example; a quest series that revolves around one of the Goblin Tribes (the Dorgeshuun) who are forced to live underground as result of their deviation from their God's view (Bandos, the God of War) millenia beforehand. The very idea that a surface world and Gods even exist has become unknown to them, and live in a sense of seclusion miles beneath the world. By the series' end, you uncover more truth to how Bandos forced his followers to serve him, and eventually fight a spiritual avatar of the God of War himself (who is only a mere fraction of his true power, of course) after he decrees that he will force the Dorgeshuun to follow his ways once more, or brutally wipe them off the face of the world if they refuse.

That is just one VERY VERY SMALL example of Runescape from a storyline perspective. No "OMG cabbages!", no "blargh I be a witch and u must halp meh". The quests really evolve later in the game, possibly stronger than any MMO on the market, WoW included. The Runescape Wiki is a great hub of all the Runescape lore/history/storylines...and is easily something that can take hours upon hours reading through, and even more if you like it yourself.

17. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    RuneScape quests have depth and storyline.....

18. blastoise466

blastoise466 Little Spike The Pit

Credit:
    WoW for sure

look RS got terrible graphics for first second In runescape you dont select a class there is only human thats bad this is the worst Con for the PvP In WoW you can pvp Horde vs Alliance but you cant do that in rs zamorak saradomin vb if we can select and become one of them at start then play at their homecities it would be much better.you can both up fishing or woodcutting but the inside of the game is much important. For third RS is absolutly boring when you play RS much. "I THINK" the only con in WoW is that it is P2P.

I dont say that i hate RS i rly liked it when i was a KID aaa i forgot to say that is most like a kiddy game.(7-10) but WoW is usually a (12-20) game i never saw a runescape player that his age is older than 13 but my brother played wow till 20. SOOOO my vote goes to WoW!!

19. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Right back at you, Doctorevil, why don't you read through every single quest of WoW? Here's the link: WoW Quests
    Too many? Um... here's some lore on the Lich King
    Not a quest? Well, there's a whole load of quests linked to the Lich King.
    Here's an instance that is linked to the Lich King: Icecrown Citadel (instance)
    And here's a quest that gets you a weapon I think: A Blade Fit for a Champion

20. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I hope WoW comes back and wins! How can anybody say that Runescape has better PvP and quests?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.