1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

WWII Genre, where's it going?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by ScareCrow, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Anyway these are just my thoughts on the state of the WWII genre.

WWII has got to be one of the most used settings in all of gaming, I think that me saying there have been eleven medal of honor games, plus countless other titles, backs up that theory.

There have been some good WWII games. The Call of Duty series, Medal of Honor and a few others. However for everyone of these good titles there are countless bad ones.

I don't really have a problem with WWII games, I enjoy the setting and atmosphere and still play Call of Duty: World at War on occasion. The problem is no game has ever changed the setting.

Every setting for a game, no matter how great, will always get boring when hundreds of games are made solely about it. You can only stand doing D-Day or Pearl Harbor so many times before it becomes tedious.

The genre has done nothing to try and revolutionize itself, you always see the same thing. Sure there are clever variations, but essentially nothing major has been done to change it.

How can a genre go on when it does nothing to evolve? And many people have been asking that question about WWII. And the answer?

Well as far as I know no one has come up with one that will keep WWII alive. And unless some revolutionary new WWII game comes along, I don't believe WWII games will be around much longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.