FragZone is nearly done there are some minor things that need to be fixed such as finishing the footer, header, and placing advertisements in their proper locations.
FragZone is probably going to be the first in a line of styles and by this i mean that we are going to be creating child themes of it. Think of FragZone as the base common, default, parent whatever you want but its the original it has a solid representation of GameOgre. From there, we are going to be making child themes tied to FragZone maybe ones that are tied to games such as League Of Legends, what about having a light style? What about having one that is more arcade like the point is to have this one as a base and to expand from it. This allows us to offer features that enabled or disabled based on user preference. Remember that there is an option to enable a floating navigation well this type of thing could be expanded into other parts of the website by either adding, hiding, or changing certain features on the site.
Past the forum styles there are somethings that need to be looked at regards the review directory. The way that reviews are being handled currently are not optimal for the current user, also there is a disconnection between the main site and the forums in a number of ways. Other than just login, you can't register, login on the main site with your social media profiles, you can't do a lot of things that we here and this is due to quite a few reasons.
Furthermore, we will look at syncing the credits between the forums and on the main site which might be difficult and it might not only time will tell, similarly this will go for the logins.
Next in terms of appearance and functionality the forum skins tend to be darker as the focus and FragZone begins to highlight a nicer choice of colors for us. The main site uses a design that is more fight for a blog rather than a news and review directory where the users are making posts about their favorite games. Therefore the style will be improved and is already being worked on. It's going to highlight some of the important features that we have come to lose with the loss of our directory, and its going to look different from the ground up.
Finally security and user privacy. We tend to keep things up to date to the best of our ability all of the themes on the forum are updated to prevent risks of vulnerability and we use CF to block potential threats. One area though that we are missing is https. The site does have a valid SSL and you might have known this if you have ever went to MMORPG and Online Game Forums it will load with the green lock (hopefully). This is an area we might shift to using and enforcing SSL has a number of benefits for security and privacy and it can improve the load time quite a bit as all the files are downloaded simultaneously as opposed to in chunks at a time. In the future we might shift to having everything under SSL from the get-go and enforcing an HSTS policy to prevent, spam, and other threats.
*Bonus - Did you know most network filters such as those found on campuses tend to block only HTTP traffic as they lack any form to decrypt the traffic being sent over. Some campuses and facilities might block the hostname but most are by full url or IP. This is why you can get around say a YouTube block by placing HTTPS in front instead of http because the network has no clue what's being sent over to filter it.
Games on the forum arcade consist of Flash Only games with high score capability. It runs on the same type of software that the previous forum did only with a different interface, and rules.
The old forum ran IPB games which are a type of flash game with an inbuilt API that we can connect the scores to. You can find these games all over I tend to use IBPDownloads you can download 10 a day as a maximum unless you pay which who would.
If for some reason you really wanted a game to be added to the arcade from this list you can simply download the file and add it to our thread or simple email or inbox me on the website downloading them can be a hassle as I may forgot or simply don't have the time.
It's also important to note they don't have to just be IPB Arcade games you could submit regular .swf games from a site like MiniClip the only problem with this is there will be no highscore integration (because we can only use IBP games for the highscore system).
Any games that are submitted to me will be uploaded in a timely fashion so long as I remember to do it and if I have time. I will also attempt to add more games to the arcade in a timely fashion but its something that is a drag to do.
If there are any games you want you can always make your recommendation in the related forum thread but keep in mind that they might not always be done relatively quickly as its a lower priority task.
- If you want a game added you can download it and send it to me (must be .swf).
- If you want me to add a game try to send me the proper files from a site (.swf) or I will have to go searching for them.
- If you want a non swf game added then the main site might be a better fit or we will need to add it as a page either way it will be confusing.
* Improving the arcade will happen but its difficult to work with software you are not familiar with nor drafted the addon yourself that being said it is becoming easier to code with xenforo.
There is a new GameOgre Theme coming to the forum and its an option for all users you can select the theme "FragZone". This theme is nearly complete there are styles and stuff to be improved and fixed but it's coming together quite nicely. Some of the key things about it.
- Responsive more so than our other themes with a mobile ready menu.
- Much sleeker user interface with better mobile features and nicer menu.
- Floating sidebar that follows you down the page
- Floating menu/navigation
- Icons for the menu
- Background with changing images (this will be set by us).
- Better place for social media links
- Better breadcrumbs.
- Moderators have new moderator bar that floats. (yay \0/)
- Users will have the option to enable/disable floating navigation
More changes to come.
This is a simple blog to keep up with everything that I do online for small amounts of work. You will see stuff on this site, and on others some, I don't own others I do. Let's go into what's been done today.
* Steam Integration. This allows you to link your GameOgre account to Steam to retrieve a bunch of information such as the most played games on the forum, who plays the most, and more! You can add your account by going here.
* Lazy Loading on images. The images will be lazy loaded on long threads leading to improved performance.
* Fixed the style for the blog on all themes.
*General Fixes, & Performance Fixes.
* Added 2 games to a client site with unique descriptions.
* Solved customer issues for MyArcadePlugin
This day I was a little busy and I might get more done later tonight but anything I do I will just tack onto the post tomorrow.