One of the most important concerns that every smartphone user faces is its security. It is clear that not all mobile platforms have the same security in place and each type of operating system differs from the other. There are a lot of existing and emerging threats that the users are facing from malware, viruses, as well as advanced hacking techniques. It has become increasingly difficult to stay safe from prying eyes of the online fraudsters and cybercriminals. They try to access data and other personal information stored in the phones and third-party apps and uses it to their advantage. The security threats are omnipresent for the mobile phone customers, and they need to take all necessary precautions to stay safe and secure. One of the best options to feel safe online is to use mobiles that are made by secure mobile platforms.
The Most Common Mobile Threats
Over 2.5 billion people are accessing the internet through their mobile units. The advancements in technology have made it possible for internet users to get all the information they need by just tapping on their handheld devices. As more and more people are using mobile, there is also a rise in the cybercriminals looking to target the mobile platforms to access data, information, and also loot cash. The security threats faced by the different mobile platforms vary and the internet fraudsters look to tailor their attacks based on the operating systems. The following are some of the common threats that mobile users must be aware of:
- A malicious code sent to the user’s device to collect the personal information stored on the phone.
- Keep an eye on the log activity of the user using spy networks.
- Links are sent to the devices that carry malicious content and once clicked will infect the device.
- The download of malicious files on smartphones and tablets.
- Send premium SMS to the user and the handler would be asked to bear the cost of the activities for which they would not have given the consent.
- Track the online banking activities and transactions to get access to account numbers and passwords.
- Change the Settings and also track locations of the user.
- Back door entry gets opened up to allow the hackers to have control over it.
Most Popular Types of Secure Mobile Platforms
iOS is an operating system designed and developed by none other than software giant Apple. It can only run solely on the Apple handheld devices like the iPads and the iPhones. This means the numbers of users are restricted when compared to the Android users that are part of the OS of a wide variety of smartphone manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, OnePlus, Google, etc. As the Apple is made popular in the United States and is widely used in this country than any other country in the world, the hacks that the Apple devices suffer is also lower than the Android devices.
There are also strict restrictions in place by Apple for the apps, which should suit their devices and are only available through the Apple App Store. They charge a higher fee than the Android and Windows OS, and they will only allow the legitimate business to run their apps on the Apple Store. The fees are higher for getting the apps to appear on the iOS store, and they are manually tested by humans before it is made available for the Apple users. So, anyone looking to come out with a mobile game for the iOS users will have to go through manual checks and also meet all security requirements before the app gets the nod to feature on the Apple store. The gamers who love to play on their mobile devices can feel pretty safe using such applications as they have the Apple authority and security certification, ensuring only the best mobile casinos are present there. Since most of the mobile game sites have come up with apps, be careful when selecting the one.
Apple iOS 13
This is the latest version of the Apple operating system used in high-end smartphones and tablets that are released now. The security features of this IOS platform include:
- Prevent the apps from seeking permission to transmit data over Bluetooth by blocking the access.
- It offers complete freedom from Wi-Fi tracking.
- Option to divert the calls from unknown callers right to the voicemail automatically.
- ‘Find My app’ comes pre-installed in Apple’s iOS 13 version phone to keep track of the Apple devices of the user and their friends.
- Prevents VoIP apps from collecting data.
The Windows mobile is more or less similar to iOS. It also makes use of human force to review and approve the applications before letting it for public access through the Windows store. These devices are also not immune to cyber-attacks but are gaining popularity the world over. The introduction of Windows 8 and now the Windows 10 operating system has made life easier for the windows phone users. They come at a lower cost than the Apple phones and has the same type of security in place. Like their counterparts, the Windows phones too need to be updated as and when an update is made available to prevent security breaches. The phone must also use a third-party apps protection system to prevent any data or sensitive personal information from getting stolen.
Windows 10 Security for Phone Users
- The Windows 10 mobile can be encrypted to prevent unauthorized access.
- It has an option to wipe out all personal data from the device by just touching a button.
- Windows Hello is a powerful tool with many factor authentication options that ensure the user’s identity before accessing the confidential information stored on the phone.
Windows 10 OS Security
- Microsoft has loaded the Windows 10 device with an antimalware scan interface that will detect malicious codes and scripts in the memory.
- Use of virtualization-based security to prevent straightforward attacks on the OS.
- Protection of Active directory from the prying eyes of internet fraudsters.
There are a lot of devices that run on the Android operating system. More than 50% of the smartphones and tablets that are on sale worldwide have an Android OS. As there are plenty of Android phones out there, obviously they are the hot favorites among the cybercriminals. They will look to breach into the OS and try to access sensitive information stored in the third-party apps. Suppose, the Android phone user has mobile game sites applications installed on the device and has also stored all the sensitive personal and financial data in their account. If the hackers breach the security of the device, they get access to these data, and within minutes, they can swindle the money left in the game account.
The latest version of Android 10 OS has come out with enhanced security features.
- Google has mandated all the manufacturers using Android 10 to have Location and Privacy menus in one place in the Settings option. The new apps will now seek permission from the user to access the location.
- A default TLS 1.3 encryption is enabled during the web surfing to prevent any malicious data from getting in.
- It has included more fixes to the devices now.
There is no doubt that each of the popular mobile operating systems has some flaws or the other. But, the OS developers are working out several ways and methods to prevent hackers from causing severe damage to the supported devices.