1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

New Review Directory Coming

Discussion in 'Lists and Directory' started by ogreman, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Since this thread is about the Review Directory, MUD comments have been moved to the MUD forum:).

http://www.gameogre.com/forums/muds/5742-muds.html

Back to the thread's topic, the Review Directory looks fine except the Past Reviews link when you are logged in?

2. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Yes, it looks fine. I did do a review in it, but I didn't really look very closely for quirks or anything.

3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    So you don't think the black or the lowered width make it tougher to read than it used to be?

Also, is it loading faster than the old design or about the same?

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Nope not tougher to read at all, for me it seems to be loading about the same if not faster, defiantly not slower.

5. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I think it's still easy to read, and I didn't notice a difference in the loading times. However, I tend to ignore lag because I'm so used to it, so I'm not the most accurate test subject!

6. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, thanks for the feedback:).

7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    See about the links now:).

8. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Links look good now.

9. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Alright, this time I REALLY dug deep, and here are my newer views. A lot of this is about styling, so you'll need several people' opinions on this before you make a decision ogreman.

Firstly, the categories bar on the left. When you click on a link, a little '>' arrow sign appears next to it. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

It appears to me that the little arrow can barely be seen, because it's very thin, and it's white on a light grey background. Perhaps, if it were blue, or maybe even... black, though black would really clash. I don't know, and I'm nitpicking about that one, so more opinions on this one.

Next, I see many links on the website, except I DON'T see them. Until I mouse over them. This is because you've made them black and bold, the same colour as most of the highlighted text on the website. Here's an example:

[​IMG]

and another:

[​IMG]

and one more:

[​IMG]

On these three, the link that I've highlighted looks exactly the same as the 'Total Rating' text, or the 'Reviews' text, until you mouse over it. You'll definitely want to change the colour of this text, whether by making it blue (or pink? xD), or underlining it. Otherwise it might be confusing for someone who doesn't know the website well, and don't think that maybe the 'Rate/Review Me' text is actually a hyperlink.

Finally, and this is a controversial one, the areas like on the review page, and in fact on most of the review directory, where there are white areas, like this:

[​IMG]

Around the 'post review' box, and around all the reviews. The white box. These areas look ugly to me in front of the grey background. I see a lot of black text on the grey background, and those seem perfectly readable, so I suggest just making these white areas the same colour as the background. I know! Controversial!

These are the only things that I spotted that you might want to change. I also spotted some other stuff that looked 'ugly' to me, but those ones really depend on who's looking at them to decide whether they ARE 'ugly' or not. Anyway, hope I've helped with this post.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
  10. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Thanks Drako, that does help:). Of your suggestions, the links on the Latest Games, Latest Reviews, and Top Ten pages definitely need to look more like links. The forum link on the Review pages were the same way until today. We will try to get those changed as soon as we can.

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    The links have finally been changed to look blue on those three pages:).

12. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    looks better, thanks.

13. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Does the RD look different in IE than FF for anybody else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.