1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What is overclocking your pc

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by XbladeX, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XbladeX

XbladeX Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I heard about it a few times but i dont know what it is.
    Pls explain.

2. Mograine

Mograine MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    Overclocking means rising a frequency of some part of your pc to make it perform better. When your raise the frequency, the temperature of that pc component goes up too. So you must monitor it, if you don't, by by pc. Anyways, there's a lot of OC guides on the net, just search for them and you will find what you need. cheers! :)

3. brankomiljus20

brankomiljus20 Ogre Warlord Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    If ur CPU have 3ghz and works on 2.1ghz, increasing his frequency is called overclocking, but that is not recommended cause it can be overheated and even get broken, it is rly risky, so if ur not familiar with that things i recommend u not to do it, or check ur CPU max sefe frequency

4. KuNG-Fu-PeoN

KuNG-Fu-PeoN Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    anyways dont do that unless you have a good cooler and it affects your waranty in some cases soo its really not needed to risk those 2-3 fps more

5. LordOfSh4dow

LordOfSh4dow MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    If you overclocking your pc dont do that more then 20-30min if you pass that limit check processor temperature every few minuts.
    One more thing put your fan speed to max when you overclocking.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  6. Daki2

Daki2 Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Alright these people clearly lack the necessary skills to convey information fluently...

And no, I don't care if English isn't your first language.

Now onto overclocking matters, the most important thing you need to know about overclocking is that there are certain risks to doing it, but the main goal of overclocking is to make the benefits outweigh the risks. As such you need a fair bit of knowledge about your components and overclocking in general. It requires you to get down and dirty inside your bios (now called UEFI) and look at the raw numbers, doing extended, non-stop, 24-hour stress tests on your hardware to determine its stability under load and to see just how far you can push it as it is currently with just the stock factory settings.

Are you with me so far? I know this may be a lot to take in with these being just the things you would need to do before overclocking, however you don't have to do this it's just highly recommended that you do so; knowing the in's and out's of your components can mean just pushing them enough to squeeze just the right amount of performance from them while still within stable margins or completely frying your components. If everything you read here didn't put you off from the very idea of overclocking I would recommend the following videos I will be linking down below. Overclocking may also void your warranty so check if your components support overclocking and to what limit, you may also want to check if you're willing to void said warranty in pursuit of more performance. Also if you didn't know; an aftermarket cooler is a must. Overclocking with the stock heat-sink is just asking for a burn-out.

P.S: I meant no offense to the previous posters on this thread, I was just mentioning the lack of depth you exhibited on the subject and hopefully my post will help you too.

The links are as follows:

A generalized CPU overclocking guide covering both AMD and Intel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5NZLY7nV-0

A beginner's guide to GPU overclocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta6xdTRlRWE

If you're interested in more you're going to have to look it up yourself, I hope that I have given you a good starting point, even if you decide just to educate yourself on overclocking and not practice it. With that said, I bid you a good day.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  7. arZ

arZ Banned The Pit

Credit:
    increasing the power of you pc/processor ...
    when your processor works on 1gb you can buff him on 1,3gb ...
    that was just example ...

8. SlimeBoy01

SlimeBoy01 Elite Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    You put your GPU/CPU/RAM to work on max

9. Daki2

Daki2 Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Overclocking in its simplest form is making a component or multiple components of your pc.
    Usually it requires quality cooling and a good bit of knowledge.

Here is a quick explanation of overclocking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPmDSYRKnXM

10. Bronze4Ever

Bronze4Ever Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I have AMD Radeon HD 7560D, integrated graphics card. Can someone explain how can i overclock it because i have to play all games on medium or even lower, but my other componentes are pretty strong.
    Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.