1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Triple Triad Tutorial

Discussion in 'Triple Triad' started by quinn, Mar 1, 2011.

1. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Book 1: The Game
    (Just the basics of the game. The online interface is not covered in this Book. Scroll way down if you already know how to play Triple Triad and just want to know how to use the GO version of it.)

So you're interested in the wonderful world of Triple Triad? Wonderful. It's a very simple game on the surface...but as you play you will learn that there is more than meets the eye. (This guide is a work in progress. It shall be unlocked when it is done.)

Chapter 1: Basics
    Triple Triad is a game of conquering. At the beginning of the game each player controls 5 cards in their hand. Each turn you are required to place one card in one of the nine playing slots.

You can purchase cards in the shop link from Triple Triad. You must buy a 5 pack to play the game.

Each card has a number for EACH SIDE of the card. They go from 1-9. A is ranked highest above 9.
    [​IMG]
    Note the numbers for all four sides. They shall be referred to as North-East-South-West in this guide.

Every time you play a card every card that it is touching gets compared to yours. If their touching side is lower than yours than it is flipped to be your color (and added to your score).

[​IMG][​IMG]
    As the East side of the Blorba that was just played is higher than the West side of the already on the field Blood Soul, the Blood Soul switches to be blue.

At the end of the game all cards of each color are totaled up. (Includes remaining cards in hands.) If you have more cards than your opponent you win! Draws and Sudden Death mode will be covered later in this guide.

Chapter 2: Same (and SameWall)

So you already know how to play a basic game of Triple Triad..however it has much more to offer. The challenger can set multiple settings for games...Same is one of the ones you will see the most.

Same is useful to take enemies with the SAME NUMBER as yours (instead of having to be one point higher!). It requires an ally also touching the played card with the same number as well.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In this case the center card is the card that was just played. Under normal circumstances it could not take the red Trauma...however it matches also with the card on the left triggering Same. The red Trauma is swapped to the blue team.

When SameWall is on the wall counts as a A rank for either team to use Same with.

Chapter 3: Plus

Plus is a little more complicated than Same. Plus occurs when the touching sides of a played card add up to the same number with another allied card. This allows you to take cards with higher values than your own in some cases.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    In this case the center card is the newly played card. Normally it would not take the red card..but as both the matching sides with the blue card and the matching side with the red card add up to the same number (3)...Plus is triggered.

Chapter 4: Combo

When Combo is on..any time Same or Plus is triggered the card captured by that event ALSO acts as if it were just played. This allows you to take MANY cards at once. Possibly even the entire field with your last card if the cards are set up right!

Chapter 5: Draws and Sudden Death

Games can end in Draws. This means nobody wins.
    However when Sudden Death is on games shall never Draw. Instead you get all cards currently your color and play with those cards. This will continue till the game ends without a draw.

Chapter 6: Elemental

I really really recommend that you never use this rule. It is annoying and really unfun. I shall explain it anyway.

If Elemental is on the board gets element symbols on random field spots. If you play a card with a matching symbol on it it goes up by +1 on each side. If you play a not matching card it goes down by -1.

This concludes the chapter on the basics of the game. Victory rules and the battle arena will be covered next.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
  2. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Book 2: Battle Arena

So you're ready to start playing Triple Triad..while it's not too hard to get started thanks to our easy to use interface. You can get to the Triple Triad world by clicking it on the link bar at the top of all forum pages.

Chapter 1: Creating Matches

To start a match with another user or a CPU you simply must go to the Battle Arena tab in the Triple Triad game. You then may choose any of the CPUs from the dropdown list (who all have preset settings) or type in a username and press Continue.

Chapter 2: Settings

When creating a match with a player there are many settings that may be set. Most have been discussed in Book 1 besides Open Random and Victory Settings. Open allows you to see each others cards during the game. Random makes it so instead of choosing your 5 cards they are selected from your entire collection randomly.

The Victory Settings decide what happens at the end of the match. You may choose ONE of them from a dropdown list. They are as follows:
    -None: No cards are transfered. The game is a friendly match.
    -One: The winner steals one card from the loser of their choice.
    -Direct: All cards flipped to your color at the end are won. All others are lost.
    -Difference: The ending scores are subtracted and the winner gets that many cards. (8-3=5 cards)
    -All: The winner steals all cards.

Chapter 3: Getting to the battle.

If you are invited to a match you will get a notification in the top right of the forum. (under your username). To see the current state of a match and play go to the Active Battles tab in Triple Triad.

Chapter 4: Playing

To play a card simply click that card and then click in a spot. You can stop the music with the player beneath the playing field. At the end of the match you are redirected to the Victory/Loss page. You will get a message with the cards you lost if you lose and are not playing None.

Chapter 5: Victory

If you win you must select which cards to take. Just select the checkboxes and hit continue when you are done.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  3. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    This will serve as our main tutorial for Triple Triad:).

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    After three years, I would consider this finished unless somebody else wants to add to it:).

5. bboyMinato

bboyMinato Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    thank you really helped me with this tutorial... im really thankfull

6. Weljash

Weljash DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Hey do i have to buy cards for Triple Triad because i can't play it?

7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Why can't you play it?

8. blablatrux

blablatrux Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    thank u but are there going to be more tournaments ?

9. FrendlyLeBlanc

FrendlyLeBlanc King of Shadows and Rockets The Pit

Credit:
    Oh this is good tutorial... I maybe start to play that :)

10. arZ

arZ Banned The Pit

Credit:
    they are many videos on youtube ... how to play triple triad ..
    and what is "plus" "same" and other combo combinations ...
    just google ;)

11. ivankiller13

ivankiller13 MMORPGer

Credit:
    tnx for dis nice post

12. Gavra10

Gavra10 Clubbed for Ignoring Rule and Rude PM

Credit:
    Nice turtorial and nice game :D

13. ivekvv256

ivekvv256 Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    Cool tutorial, but I didn't learned the game by reading this, I learned it by playing...

14. arZ

arZ Banned The Pit

Credit:
    Yes nice tutorial ... i learned 90% from reading this tutorial ..
    the 10 % is experience in game and watching some youtube videos ...

15. Garagos

Garagos Clubbed for Chat Rage

Credit:
    I agree with arZ :)
    Almost everything you can learn buy playing turtorial :)

16. djokko99KinG

djokko99KinG The Biggy Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Very nice tutorial, i think i understand the game now... :D

17. Sle91

Sle91 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    K, ready to start now. :)

18. thundemp2007

thundemp2007 Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Thanks for the tutorial. After I register in this game at least I have an idea

19. Grawl

Grawl MLG King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Thank you so much

20. SulzYee

SulzYee Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Nice tut, helped me a lot :)