1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

GameOgre.com Project Game

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by ogreman, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Would like our community here to make or at least try to make a game that can be played online:). To learn from the Ogre MUD project, we will not be dependent on one or two members. Instead, everybody can contribute what they can when they can. Would like to see how far we could get if enough people got this started:).

2. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    If I can help anyhow, I will be there :)

3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, might start a few different threads for ideas in Game Development to help get it started:).

4. Rantzr

Rantzr Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I'm very interested, and I'd like to help where I can.

5. ufbre

ufbre World of Tanks Fan Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I'd like to help where and if if I know

6. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, glad to hear it:). Will probably start with the name and then take each phase after that one by one.

7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Going to stick these threads:).

8. Summers

Summers Big Bad Ogre

Credit:
    hmmmm i'm not really sure how but i also
    want to help :)

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    OK, what should be the next step:)?

10. Rantzr

Credit:
    Did we ever get a name? Next step could possibly be writing quests and such, or brain storming what the main story line should be, along with events. Is the game more RPG focused, or multiplayer focused? Multiple story line directions based on decisions made (making the experiences of the game more personal for the player)? Gear based or Level Based? Possibly adding in some easter eggs/references to Shrek, and Ogre Wars? I can go on lol... But I'll leave it at this :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
  11. viktorius22

viktorius22 Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I wanna help but i am not so good.

12. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I like this! Can I suggest Ogre Universe?

13. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, thanks for the suggestion:).

14. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Can i suggest a sequel to Ogre Maze made by ogres?

15. infina

infina MMORPG Addict Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I want to give some feedback on how such a project should by done in my opinion. I'm not saying this is the correct, or only good way to do it. It simply is how I would run this, just take from it what seems usefull.

First of all. Ogre is correct with what he said here. It's really risky to depend on a small group for such a project, and since it's a community project it's good to give a chance to everyone to contribute. That being said, I still think there should be a few members who have some idea of how to make a game or big project to push it in the right direction. I'm not saying we need to depend on them to do the work, but they should organise this a bit. They can manage a topic about the game, where they list what needs to be done next. The other members read the list and say in which area's they can help.

A project like this usually won't take off easily unless there is someone who gives some kind of instructions of what needs to happen next, and shows updates to make sure everyone stays interested and believes in the progress that is made.

A lot of comments like this one :) How about we let everyone who is willing to help list anything they can do to help with the creation of this project. This could go from creative work like thinking up a story/sketching or drawing things, to more technical skills like coding (which languages?). Anything you think can help.

I suggest that once this is started, we stick with one topic where everyone can come check back for updates. A topic like the one to decide the name is no problem off course, we just need to make sure there's an easy to see link in the first post of the main topic. If someone checks the first post they should easily see the current progress and what is being worked on at the moment.

Usually you'd want to define what your game is about before deciding the name. I suggest we keep the list of names already gathered, but don't decide on it right now. If we decide to make "a sequel to Ogre Maze" as Rantzr suggested, we would probably use another name than if we for example make "a standalone and expanded OgreWars browser game". The first case would have a name related to the maze theme of the game. In the 2nd case the name would simply stay Ogre Wars, and there would be no need to look for a name ;)
    We can of course already pick a name to use as the project "codename", similar to how Blizzard's Titan is also a temporary codename.

I think the first step would be brainstorming about our game idea. What is the goal of the game? Gameplay? Do you control 1 character or are you leading an army of ogres? What platform? I assume a text-based browser game, or are we feeling brave enough to do something even more complicated? :p (don't underestimate the work that goes into a "simple" text-based browser game) There's a lot of questions you can ask. We should just get a basic idea of the game before getting to work.

I have a summarized version of a game design book somewhere at home. I could check through that and maybe add to this post once I did.

Just want to add another note. I don't want to sound like someone who thinks he knows everything better. If something I said is wrong or you don't agree, please do comment. My experience with game design is limited to 1 simple boardgame. I do websites ;) I'm certainly no game designer.

Also, if my textwall didn't make you realise it yet, I'm willing to help out with this xD

16. Rantzr

Credit:
    I didn't recommend this, Webber did. :D

Great post, this is something I'd love to see happen. I can contribute by thinking up a story/sketching, and also helping with brainstorming about the game idea.

17. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ah, excellent post, Infina:). Will nominate that for the next Post of the Week.

Yes, we need to get the ball rolling. Does any aspiring developer want to take the lead on this?

18. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
  19. infina

infina MMORPG Addict Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I was waiting a bit to see if someone steps up. I'm up for this if there is at least 1 more person who wants to help manage this project.

20. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I can do it if we really stick with it to make good progress.