1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever changed your username ingame using DCs?

Discussion in 'Adventure Quest 3D' started by Rex, Aug 23, 2017.

1. The Redael

The Redael Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    No, I like my name.
    He has a secret...

2. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I have a number of people on my friends list that have changed their name that I don't recognize; of course, I have over 100 friends, so I don't really keep track of people. From a general perspective, I don't think people would necessarily delete a friend that had changed their name, because why else would they be on your friend list? The very likely thing they would do is talk to you to know what your old name was; it's not like your identity and personality changed just because of a name change. As for players in general not recognizing you, it doesn't really matter much; the community is an enclosed space that people will eventually figure things out. A name is just a name, so it doesn't really change who you are and how you act.

3. hfi

hfi Banned The Pit

Credit:
    Lol i remember my first game account in aq3d its name is the name of my ex girlfriend thats why when we brokeup i stop playing and delete the character and create a new one cuz i hate to see her name again xD

4. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Do you still remember the name of that account? Deleting your account and creating a new one is a cheap alternative to changing your character name, but it might not be worth it if you have played a lot with that account.

5. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Amount of time played doesn't necessarily matter, especially since you'll know better how to replay the game and you'll only need the best leveled gear. It's the important items that matter. If you own a ton of rare drops (maybe at least 5, or 10 depending of the drop rate of those items), then it's probably not worth deleting your character and recreating it. If you own DC items (non-collection), then deleting your character will delete those DC items, which might not be a good idea. But if it's just a character leveled up through doing the game's story, then I'd say deleting your character wouldn't be a bad idea. You might have a hard finding people to play with and help you, but you might also find new friends that are willing to help you. It's definitely possible to catch up within a week, but the 900 DCs for a name change really does save from all the inconvenience.

6. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    That's why it's there for and that's convenience. Don't want to level another character because you chose a name that you don't like? Buy a name change for it.

7. Randy1987

Randy1987 Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    I never do it before but I’m saving up for it

8. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    That would be 900 DCs and getting there will take a while if you get all DCs through daily treasure chests. What name do you have in mind?

9. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Should take about a month to get 900 DCs for anyone who's really active, and yielding an average of 12 DCs a day from chests and 24 DCs from mobile ads. Two months would probably be more reasonable to get 900 DCs, especially since mobile ads fail a lot.

10. Chai

Chai Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    If I were contemplating changing my in-game name, I wouldn't want to blurt out the new name I'm thinking of. If it becomes more known, there'd be a higher possibility of someone sniping the free name I'd want.

11. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    It's not really a free name if you end up spending DCs on it, unless someone makes an account and creates a character with that name.

12. Chai

Chai Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Right... By definition, the word "free" means something that could be obtainable at no cost. So "available" would've been a more suitable word rather than "free".

13. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    There are accounts out there just to reserve names because that's a cheap way to get names.

14. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Some of the names players have squatted, the players don't even do anything with, either because they forgot about the game after a long time has passed, forget their login to that squatted name, or they never got to 900 DCs to delete the squatted name and change their main character's name. Unfortunately, name purges aren't common; would be nice if purges happened on a yearly basis on free accounts that have never spent money. I can still find a bunch of level 1 characters by looking through character pages.

15. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    AE doesn't really do name purges that often, not as often as they should.

16. Rizlaftw

Rizlaftw Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    No but I would if I knew the name I wanted wasn't taken already an ain't seen anyone with the name yet.

17. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    Some names could be taken and you wouldn't even know it. There are people who just make accounts to hog names.

18. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    You could always check the character page of a name to see if it was already taken. There are very few names that are blacklisted but don't have a character page, and they are usually staff names or controversial names. I think using character pages to view characters to check available names is a good way to figure out what you might want to rename your character.

19. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    Yeah, that would be the best way to do it. It would be nice if AE just added a link to the character lookup page like they have done with their main website for AQW. They should do it for the sake of consistency.

20. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    My biggest problem is that you have to leave the game application just to check character pages. Personally, I'm not a fan of external links inside of a game (especially things like the Bug Report button and Contact Support button opening up a link in my browser). The same is true with character pages being opened up in a browser. It should be a feature that I can access within the game... like just have a modal box show up with character information. Then it would be easier to check for a lot of things, including things like what name's already taken.

But even then, you'd still have to visit the website under account management just to change your name, but I don't really mind that since it's sort of like a security barrier. If you leave your game active on a public computer, there's no way someone's going to change your name from the game, for instance.