1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Heart of Thorns Opinions?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars' started by Aaddron, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Heart of Thorns is almost 6 months old now, anyone have any opinions on it?

2. Aaddron

Credit:
    I don't have a fresh opinion but for me it kinda ruined Guild Wars 2. I don't mean ruined Guild Wars 2 as in it now sucks, I mean ruined as in how I personally play it. I don't like the expansion at all. I absolutely loved 1-80 and still really like it today... I've done it all though so it's hard to go back right now. Which leaves HoT. So I really liked the Events in Guild Wars 2, easily one of my favorite parts of the game and HoT's took them to a new level, yay right? No, in Guild Wars 2 these Events would scale up and down depending on the number of players, they also usually aren't mission critical and can usually be done on your own or just plain avoided.

In HoT they are MUCH harder, or at least they were. I'm not sure if it has changed since but they for the most part do require a group. Maybe I was spec'd wrong, I don't know but I do know I went from being able to easily adventure at my own pace -> follow the group or die. I did not like this at all. I love the Events and how they bring people together but it's really annoying not being able to do my own stuff. Having to be dependent on other players to get anywhere is a nightmare and it became especially apparent when the mega-server started messing up and putting low numbers of people together... progression slowed to a near halt, it was a constant fight and very annoying just to move around the map. This was not the GW2 I loved playing so much.

Maybe this has been fixed now. Maybe not but this combined with a number of other things really put me off of the game. It just wasn't for me any more. I may go back eventually to give it another go but I don't know, I've never seen a game flip so far from one side to the other.

3. Septera

Septera Ogre Extraordinaire The Pit

Credit:
    Didnt have problem with soloing stuff , done map exploration and story by myself ( usually I play Ranger or Revanant when it comes to HoT maps).Sadly everything in new maps is meta event related like you say meaning you have to find good active map ( using lfg ).
    My biggest problem is that map events are time gated so If you miss boss event you have to wait few hours until next one pops up.

Aaddron likes this.
  4. Aaddron

Credit:
    I hated that in Orr (I think it was Orr, though to a lesser extent) as well in the Wastelands. I mean the whole build up was cool the first time or so but having to through the whole loop or wait for it each time got very tedious... especially when it had to be done.

5. Septera

Credit:
    I love how silverwastes was done , you can easly finish meta event go to lfg and find yourself a new map and continue farming :D

6. Aaddron

Credit:
    Yes, lfg is used to farm it to death. The silverwastes chest trains too, that was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in a video game lol. I don't think it was designed that way though, it just kinda happened and Anet was like "whelp gamers gonna game... it keeps em busy" lol.

7. Septera

Credit:
    There was a lot of changes regarding Hot maps that you addressed , making it more solo friendly so maybe you should give it a try if you planing to play it again.

8. Aaddron

Credit:
    I seen the new one time 80 boost thing too, definitely considering it as I can try another class as well. Not sure I'm ready to commit the HDD space to it yet.

9. Septera

Credit:
    The spring quarterly update made this game so much better and more rewarding.
    I love how hot maps where tweaked so now you progress after each event done (you dont have to wait for end event or spend 1 hour in map).
    Dungeons are buffed a bit and back in my regular gameplay ( double dungeon currency ,50 silver per path + drops).
    WvW is also improved and also there is progress bar added now just like in pvp.
    Still have to see how pvp will go , waiting for ranked to say more.

Aaddron likes this.